R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Alta Rear Sway Bar Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 10:50 AM
Mini242
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Alta Rear Sway Bar Review

Just got the Alta sway bar in and wow it does drastically change things. Its been in for a week or so and driving "normally", It really doesn't change much if you don't press it. I had a few occasions where I surprised when I had to change lanes abruptly at high speeds. This morning had a chance to do some autocross like driving and a few canyon runs. I would say in the middle setting (220% stiffer) it is very noticeable when pressed. I may set it at the softest setting in the near future. Around normal turns it feels really planted. I would like to mention a few turns I regularly take are a bit different. Small imperfections in the road can make the car hop out and loose a bit of traction. I am running coil overs so I may need to adjust the rear to a softer dampening setting. It was a pain requiring the sub frame and coils to be removed. It cost around $500 with alignment. I also made a post questioning why ALTA parts come with an extensive warning. I now fully agree with it. I can only picture some random person jumping into my car and taking a turn and hurting themselves or my car. I fully recommend spending time with your car and re-learning the dynamics. Many people simply plug and play and floor it. Find an empty parking lot, look out for light poles and press the limits a bit. common sense but needs a bit more relearning than a set of springs. This mod increases the oversteer very aggressively. I feel like with this mod drivers may "need" to use more advanced driving techniques in which normally would be pretty mundane for the stock suspension. This mod increases the oversteer and by using more advanced techniques you can get more entry angle which can make you quicker. Under normal driving it isn't much different just when you press it.

Scandinavian flick without e-brake -Kinda like counter steering on a motorcycle. Turn outwards to turn the opposite way. Turning to the outside (left) then quickly steering into the turn (right). at about 30mph the car's rear looses grip smoothly and predictably. It seems like the front and rear loose grip almost uniformly. Something similar to a power slide in a WRX. You can really burn the front tires or lift to both increase or decrease the angle. Something that really didn't happen prior to this mod. My mini didnt react to increasing the throttle, just pedal lift during turn (lifting throttle would sometimes rotate the rear).

Scandinavian flick with e-brake - spun out pretty quickly. My e-brake is loose and hardly got rotation when making 180's. While transferring the weight the back end rotates very freely with e-brake. even when it doesn't bite much.

Weight transfer - the more aggressively steering inputs the more the rear looses traction. Before the sway bar the car would kinda spin tires while the rear remained firmly planted. I would say it feels more like a SVT focus with near 50/50 weight balance. Really neutral. I had a few instances where it felt more like a mid 90s 911 or Mustang where the rear would suddenly want to change sides (again possibly too stiff in the rear coils).

Canyon runs- I don't seem to be on the brakes as much or even much later. I would "HIGHLY", and I mean HIGHLY recommend not trail braking hard or deep into a turn. The car does rotate in an oversteer condition relatively quickly. First reaction is to press the brake more firmly and increase the oversteer. This could pretty much kill your drive. I prefer standard brake hard late in straight line, lift and accelerate out of apex.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:32 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Add to the RSB for stability on turns is higher engine rpm, think horizontal gyro. Rev match down shifting into a turn increases that immensely.