R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 RPM Stage 3 never been “right” not happy

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 08:06 AM
Coz3z3
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cyberlunacy
but its so friggin tight in there lol. (not nearly as tight as other things that one could replace for sure)
good to know.
I know the intake one came out pretty easy, and cleaned it off though it looked fine, i was even going to take a flat head screwdriver and grind it to fit in the star points and just use that to extra the bolt but we'll see.

The shop i take the car to doesn't do any walnut blasting and i am not comfy in doing it myself + rotating the engine so that each valve is closed.
Just not my bag.
Seen all sort of "fantastic" additives but i just don't feel ok doing that, plus the N18 shouldn't need blasted but there isn't anything stopping it from getting carboned up since it has 125k on the engine.
Yeah it is lol. That's why I did it with it all apart. It was almost my main priority lol. Yeah I hear the N18 doesn't buildup as bad. I have the N14 and it was really bad at 80k. I don't think it had been done before though either.

Originally Posted by takrdown
Just a heads up for what it's worth. I'm not saying that walnut blasting is a waste of time as we all know these DI engines have issues, but my N18 has 105K on it and running Lou's tune I don't have any of the issues I had before with the RPM. I was chasing all the things I was told were "my fault" or the "car's issues" and I just didn't have any issues. Getting Lou's tune kind proved that to me. I can't tell you how much money and time I dumped into the car thinking something was wrong with it because of that damn RPM tune (close to $1500 after the cost of the tune and three full weekends...ok I guess i can tell you). It's easy to hand someone $800 and if it doesn't work it's also easy for the tuner to point to a number of issues that this platform may or not have. I'm not bitter hahaha

All being said, Lou wouldn't stop contacting me until I was 100% happy with what the car was doing. Just not the type of guy he is. Hell, I spent a full week and about 8 logs back and forth before I was happy with the pop and burble of all things. He wanted 100% satisfaction from me.
That's great to hear. I was wondering how many logs or "sessions" I would get lol. I really like my current pops and burble and don't want it to be excessive so that makes feel better knowing he will work with that

Old 08-22-2022, 08:18 AM
takrdown
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah...Lou works more like a one on one thing in my experience. You take a log and send it to him. Then he sends you a light tune and you log it. Then a bigger tune and logs and he analyzes. Then you tweak as needed. He was always pleasant and I never felt like it was a business transaction and more of a buddy helping me out. It's obviously a business transaction though so don't take advantage of him haha...he's a good guy!

Old 08-23-2022, 11:37 AM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the info, the more people talk about Lou and what it was like compared to the RPM it makes RPM look more and more like those crappy OBD plug in tuners tuners just a bunch or numbers shoved down the cars throat whether it can do it or not.

I'm close to doing it, just money, which is not a money issue, im good there, just a spending more money.

And thats all i ever got from RPM was my car my car the tune is perfect, sorry but its a canned tune, its nothing but a starting point that requires a tuner to clean it up.
when i sent my ECU to get reflashed mario never said two words to me other than send it, and a quick message a week later saying the flash software had an update he had to do so was a little behind. He would never respond to me and my requests for a phone call with him and Lorenzo.
**** poor customer service all around really.

Originally Posted by takrdown
Just a heads up for what it's worth. I'm not saying that walnut blasting is a waste of time as we all know these DI engines have issues, but my N18 has 105K on it and running Lou's tune I don't have any of the issues I had before with the RPM. I was chasing all the things I was told were "my fault" or the "car's issues" and I just didn't have any issues. Getting Lou's tune kind proved that to me. I can't tell you how much money and time I dumped into the car thinking something was wrong with it because of that damn RPM tune (close to $1500 after the cost of the tune and three full weekends...ok I guess i can tell you). It's easy to hand someone $800 and if it doesn't work it's also easy for the tuner to point to a number of issues that this platform may or not have. I'm not bitter hahaha

All being said, Lou wouldn't stop contacting me until I was 100% happy with what the car was doing. Just not the type of guy he is. Hell, I spent a full week and about 8 logs back and forth before I was happy with the pop and burble of all things. He wanted 100% satisfaction from me.

The following 2 users liked this post by cyberlunacy:
Chefwaso (11-29-2022), scotty_r56s (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 12:07 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
Originally Posted by cyberlunacy
Thanks for the info, the more people talk about Lou and what it was like compared to the RPM it makes RPM look more and more like those crappy OBD plug in tuners tuners just a bunch or numbers shoved down the cars throat whether it can do it or not.

I'm close to doing it, just money, which is not a money issue, im good there, just a spending more money.

And thats all i ever got from RPM was my car my car the tune is perfect, sorry but its a canned tune, its nothing but a starting point that requires a tuner to clean it up.
when i sent my ECU to get reflashed mario never said two words to me other than send it, and a quick message a week later saying the flash software had an update he had to do so was a little behind. He would never respond to me and my requests for a phone call with him and Lorenzo.
**** poor customer service all around really.
Advantage Lou: Lou can tune your car remote. No need to send your ECU through the shipping system. It might cost slightly more, but sometimes the low cost supplier isn't always the best option.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:07 PM
takrdown
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
For what it's worth I didn't purchase the RPM tune from Mario, I received it from the "other " supplier. So the tune isn't that great no matter who provides it IMO. To Nik's point, it may cost a hair more to go through Lou, but if you insure the ECU for $800 when you ship it to Mario or Detroit Tuned, the total cost with Lou, all in, was actually cheaper for me.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:37 PM
Mini242
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Has anyone heard about this cars not responding to piggyback systems? I have been in and out of mechanics to diagnose a low boost on Wot.

My old supercharged 4g eclipse would have this problem until I added some secondary injectors. I may go with an actual tune if that is the case.

Anyone hear about the r56 not responding well to the nm or jb+?