R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What to do with new mini...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 09:30 AM
SuperOriginalGuy
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What to do with new mini...

Hey everyone,

New to the Mini Cooper world and I'd like some opinions and advice!

I just picked up a rad 2007 Mini Cooper S with only 110k miles on it, but I'm noticing some issues. I'm hearing a rattle can like noise on acceleration, a weird whomping noise from one of my wheels (probably my driver rear because it looks bent), and my AC just stopped working. The fan isn't blowing, so I'm assuming a fuse or compressor is out, but who knows.

Anyway - I think this car is cool as hell. So, why not just fix it up! My question to you all is - IF I decide to just rebuild this motor, should I rebuild to factory specs, or should I upgrade some stuff like... the turbo and whatever else... My goal is a little more power but I'm enjoying the MPGs honestly, which is why I bought the thing while my diesel truck sits in my driveway during these gas prices lol...

So rebuild to factory, or upgrade!? And any other must have mods are welcome too!

Old 06-23-2022, 10:31 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
“You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Consider a stock build to be the blue pill....

Old 06-23-2022, 10:39 AM
SuperOriginalGuy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
“You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Consider a stock build to be the blue pill....
Well ****... my favorite color is red....

Old 06-23-2022, 11:33 AM
Gaius Baltar
1st Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I would take it to a MINI dealership and pay for an oil change and asked them to inspect it.

For a 2007 MINI Cooper S, wrenching is NEEDED or expect to pay a decent amount of cash. I have the same year/model and have replaced the following:

Time chain belt (Detroit Tuned Kit)
Thermostat housing
Water pump and pulley
Water pipe
Spark plugs
Oil change
Coolant change

We did the work, although there were NO check engine light or codes. Figured to get this stuff done now, and not worry about anything major. My 2007 MCS is my daily driver and is fun to drive.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:37 AM
SuperOriginalGuy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar
I would take it to a MINI dealership and pay for an oil change and asked them to inspect it.

For a 2007 MINI Cooper S, wrenching is NEEDED or expect to pay a decent amount of cash. I have the same year/model and have replaced the following:

Time chain belt (Detroit Tuned Kit)
Thermostat housing
Water pump and pulley
Water pipe
Spark plugs
Oil change
Coolant change

We did the work, although there were NO check engine light or codes. Figured to get this stuff done now, and not worry about anything major. My 2007 MCS is my daily driver and is fun to drive.
Was the timing chain a tough one to do? I'm happy to do the work myself wherever I can. I'm even contemplating the rebuild on my own, with the exception of the machining of course.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:22 PM
Gaius Baltar
1st Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperOriginalGuy
Was the timing chain a tough one to do? I'm happy to do the work myself wherever I can. I'm even contemplating the rebuild on my own, with the exception of the machining of course.
Not difficult at all. We watched a few YouTube videos took our time. We did everything in one shot to take advantage of the limited space.

Having an older vehicle is nice because there is at least a decade of knowledge and experience (good and bad) to reference.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:09 PM
SuperOriginalGuy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar
Not difficult at all. We watched a few YouTube videos took our time. We did everything in one shot to take advantage of the limited space.

Having an older vehicle is nice because there is at least a decade of knowledge and experience (good and bad) to reference.
Freagin' sweet! That's good to hear. Thank you very much.

The following users liked this post:
Gaius Baltar (06-29-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 01:47 PM
Lou@Prototype-R
Vendor
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
Something else to consider is that a little more power does not have to mean less gas mileage on a turbocharged vehicle. It's not unusual with the right supporting mods and a good tune to see gas mileage increase during "normal" driving. Now then, where your gas mileage may suffer... (oh hell who am I kidding) will suffer is when you're enjoying that new found horsepower and driving it like you stole it, all the while grinning from ear to ear.

Mini - The automotive equivalent of crack.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:52 PM
SuperOriginalGuy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Lou@Prototype-R
Something else to consider is that a little more power does not have to mean less gas mileage on a turbocharged vehicle. It's not unusual with the right supporting mods and a good tune to see gas mileage increase during "normal" driving. Now then, where your gas mileage may suffer... (oh hell who am I kidding) will suffer is when you're enjoying that new found horsepower and driving it like you stole it, all the while grinning from ear to ear.

Hahaha see that's what I wanna hear. I had a feeling that with some good tuning and probably a bigger turbo I could see better gas mileage (with a light pedal of course). That will be the majority of my driving anyway, since I drive my baby girl to and fro, but the days I don't - WOOHHOOO! Meep meep.

That being said, I think I plan on keeping this thing for a very long time. So what mods should I do?

Old 06-23-2022, 02:45 PM
Lou@Prototype-R
Vendor
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
I'd start by putting money aside for the engine stuff while focusing on the handling first. Larger rear sway bar would be first on my list, Powerflex front control arm bushings and lower engine mount. Look at all the other bushings while your under there and replaced anything that's splitting or dry rotting. Next I'd add an oil catch can and better intercooler, then look at what you can do to better the braking and improve grip (good tires / coilovers). Even before power upgrades these cars can handle so well they punch way above their weight class. Then start with the bolt on engine upgrades like an intake and exhaust. From that point you should have a good idea of what you really want for HP and can plan accordingly.

The following users liked this post:
njaremka (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 03:06 PM
SuperOriginalGuy
1st Gear
I'd start by putting money aside for the engine stuff while focusing on the handling first. Larger rear sway bar would be first on my list, Powerflex front control arm bushings and lower engine mount. Look at all the other bushings while your under there and replaced anything that's splitting or dry rotting. Next I'd add an oil catch can and better intercooler, then look at what you can do to better the braking and improve grip (good tires / coilovers). Even before power upgrades these cars can handle so well they punch way above their weight class. Then start with the bolt on engine upgrades like an intake and exhaust. From that point you should have a good idea of what you really want for HP and can plan accordingly.
This was an amazing breakdown, thank you man! Money isn't an issue. I'm setting aside 10k for this car, but I do want to do this the right way. I don't wanna have a pep boys race car haha. I like this approach.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:19 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Glad to see Lou jumping into this thread

I have one of Lou’s tunes in my car, and on a recent road trip to Chicago, I averaged 36mpg. I don’t have a full build with huge turbo, but thought I’d put that point of reference out there. Also, daily driving around town I average 30mpg. The car is frugal when I want it to be, and strong when I want it to be.

I also agree with the suspension as first pass. Get the car to handle and stop, then add the power.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:36 AM
SuperOriginalGuy
1st Gear
Glad to see Lou jumping into this thread

I have one of Lou’s tunes in my car, and on a recent road trip to Chicago, I averaged 36mpg. I don’t have a full build with huge turbo, but thought I’d put that point of reference out there. Also, daily driving around town I average 30mpg. The car is frugal when I want it to be, and strong when I want it to be.

I also agree with the suspension as first pass. Get the car to handle and stop, then add the power.
Is Lou the go-to man in these forums? It's nice to see such great support on here. I love it.

I also have an F250 diesel and a lot of people on those forums are knuckle heads and just love to talk ****. It's hard to get questions answered in truck forums =/

Old 06-24-2022, 01:32 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by SuperOriginalGuy
Is Lou the go-to man in these forums? It's nice to see such great support on here. I love it.

I also have an F250 diesel and a lot of people on those forums are knuckle heads and just love to talk ****. It's hard to get questions answered in truck forums =/
Lou is now my go to guy for tuning. You'll also see Mario's name thrown around, but he doesn't actually perform the tuning like Lou does. Listen to Lou, he has an excellent working knowledge of these cars.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:33 AM
Hairymeister
Neutral
Lou is now my go to guy for tuning. You'll also see Mario's name thrown around, but he doesn't actually perform the tuning like Lou does. Listen to Lou, he has an excellent working knowledge of these cars.

Do you have his contact info, please? I also have a 2007 mini hatch. that I am building.