R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 r56 turbo issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 01:05 PM
wahapi
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r56 turbo issue

i own a 2010 r56 (n14 single turbo) and i’m not sure what’s causing the issue and i can’t find any forums relating to my problem.

When i turn my car on and get to driving, sometimes there’s no turbo spooling at all and i don’t get boost. it’s like my turbo just completely stopped working and it’ll stop working randomly and come back randomly (sometimes turn on sport mode and it returns). It’s been average 95° here so idk if that has something to do with my turbo failing or if it has to do with me pushing the car close to its limit (fast acceleration, going high speed, etc etc just basically working the car) although i do check coolant and oil frequently.

if anyone has had this problem and fixed it, help a brother out and drop some fixes.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:48 PM
Coz3z3
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had similar issues and it was a connector. Kept unplugging itself, so I had to ziptie it together. Another reason I didn't have turbo, was the vacuum hoses that go to the vacuum box under the throttle body and stuff. When I did my rebuild, I couldn't get them to stay on the port, so I just tied them together and all has been well. Otherwise, check for play in the turbo to make sure there is nothing excessive.

Also, not sure what connector specifically or what it had to do with the turbo, but I know I wouldn't have boost with it unplugged.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:53 PM
wahapi
Neutral
Originally Posted by Coz3z3
I've had similar issues and it was a connector. Kept unplugging itself, so I had to ziptie it together. Another reason I didn't have turbo, was the vacuum hoses that go to the vacuum box under the throttle body and stuff. When I did my rebuild, I couldn't get them to stay on the port, so I just tied them together and all has been well. Otherwise, check for play in the turbo to make sure there is nothing excessive.

Also, not sure what connector specifically or what it had to do with the turbo, but I know I wouldn't have boost with it unplugged.

ahhh i wish you knew what connector so i could use that information but ill check and see if there’s any play. thank you

Old 06-23-2022, 04:43 PM
Coz3z3
2nd Gear
I'll get a picture when I can to help you out. Should be later on this evening.

And by tieing the vacuum hoses together, I meant I put a nipple on them and bypassed the box altogether for the time being

Old 06-23-2022, 05:09 PM
wahapi
Neutral
I'll get a picture when I can to help you out. Should be later on this evening.

And by tieing the vacuum hoses together, I meant I put a nipple on them and bypassed the box altogether for the time being
alright i appreciate it

Old 06-24-2022, 06:15 AM
Coz3z3
2nd Gear

You can see the zip ties around it. Yours may be different because my forge valve lines goes to this too. The very bottom of the picture is the coolant reservoir for reference

Old 06-24-2022, 07:12 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
This would be the diverter valve connector. If the OP is having stock diverter valve issues, that wouldn't be uncommon on the cars. Search for "diverter valve failure" to get the low-down.

You can see the zip ties around it. Yours may be different because my forge valve lines goes to this too. The very bottom of the picture is the coolant reservoir for reference

Old 09-07-2022, 09:02 AM
wahapi
Neutral
!!fix!!

i read many threads and one of them said something about the boost solenoid and i went to replace it and the vacuum lines were swollen from oil (car was also blowing white smoke profusely) and they kept slipping off. Took it to a shop after i replaced the vacuum lines and they told me my turbo was failing and that was the reason it was smoking and they replaced the turbo and no more smoke

Old 09-07-2022, 09:18 AM
Josh Falk
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The diverter valve can get sticky which would explain the problems you have. If the zip tie solution doesn't work, I'd replace diverter valve and then boost solenoid if problems persist. Had the same problem on my N18 but mine wasn't intermittant as yours is. If none of those work, you may need a new turbo but it's probably worth replacing the cheaper stuff first.

Old 04-02-2023, 07:15 AM
kmccarty515
Neutral
Possible diverter valve issue

I'm new to this forun and new to Mini's I have a 2012 clubman S with the N18 engine. Sometimes when I start it it has a rough idle untill I rev it up a few times. I recently put a odb2 gauge to monitor the boost and during the rough idle I would see a higher vacuum than normal (which is closer to 0 at idle). My first thought was that the turbo is stuck and not spinning but also that the diverter valve is not sealed. Has anyone had similar problems. Thanks