R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New to me Mini, where to start on the project car

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 07:17 PM
Lakotamani
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me Mini, where to start on the project car

My MIL has an r56 (2010 1.6l 4c auto) that she gave me as a project car. Drove it home today. It's got hella codes.

I'm going to provide a link to the codes but I'll also describe what I encountered on my single 30 mile drive: stop and go and highway.

I was warned that the thing would stall out at red lights, so watch the rpm and rev it. I didn't encounter red light stall but it did stall at 35 mph and I had to pull over and restart the car. Everything in the car operated fine except rpm dropped to zero, started right back up once in park.

1 out of every 4 times that I'd goose the gas there was major lag in power. Sometimes, it'd take forever to switch from, I think, 3rd to 4th. Maybe 2nd to 3rd. Had it on the highway up to 80 and it handled fine, no steering vibration.

I was told, because of "engine issues" to not utilize the ac. This is coming from a very car ignorant person but, frankly, I needed to get the car home so I followed the advice and ran windows down. There is major smell. I can't tell if it's oil or exhaust, but it's BAD. I felt sorry for anyone behind me. I'm leaning exhaust because I know the oil smell from my Jeep.

Felt life it lacked power at low rpm, but I'm not sure if that's just the 4cyl.

I've got a decent spread of tools and my main ride is a 2001 Cherokee so I'm not super ignorant of diy repairs. It's a car I'd like to fix up and either trade or track. Based on the below codes and what I experienced on my drive, where do I start? What are the things you'd check first?

Also, thanks!!!!!

Codes: https://ibb.co/s3HX7CB https://ibb.co/NS9bCz7

Old 07-05-2022, 02:33 PM
Coz3z3
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would start with the O2 sensors. And probably the cam sensors. Hopefully that would clear your codes and be all good with those ones. I would also get a Mini specific scan tool as I believe it will be more in depth on the "2xxx" codes. As far as the transmission codes. I would start with a full service. Oil change, coolant, transmission fluid, spark plugs, air filter change, MAF cleaning. See if any of that helps with it running more smooth and also see what codes come back.

Old 07-05-2022, 06:01 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Don't forget to change the brake fluid, unless it's been done within the last 2 years. Also, the interior cabin filter is often overlooked. Easy to change! Agree with doing the O2 sensors first thing. Maybe run a couple of tanks of highest octane gas you can find nearby, preferably without any ethanol. Good luck! This could be a very worthy track beast with some tweaks...

Old 07-05-2022, 09:21 PM
Lakotamani
Neutral
Thank you all! You're confirming some thoughts I already had, start small and do the maintenance.

That being said, I don't genuinely know the history so I'm prepping myself for the dreaded timing chain replacement.

I saw some posts about swapping the sensor banks to see if it's the sensors. Any idea if that's a consistent method?

Old 07-06-2022, 06:22 AM
Coz3z3
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Is this an r56 S or no? What motor is it? I know in my N14, the O2 sensor plugs are different. So that wouldn't be a consistent reading. Also I believe most sensors like that are the pre-cat read the Air fuel mixture while the post cat measures the cat efficiency itself. Something of that nature. So I don't think swapping sensors would do any good at all. I would just replace them and go from there.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:08 PM
Lakotamani
Neutral
Thanks for the advice. It's a base model 1.6. A justa, I guess. First thing I did was give it a good cleaning. Once I started taking all the plastics of the engine I noticed that the filter box was broken so it wasn't making a good seal with the silencer. Maybe that is impacting the oxygen sensor. I'm picking up a new housing tomorrow. As for the cam sensors I did swap them and the code followed the sensor so I'll replace that.

I need to get a mini specific code reader as there are other codes that don't tell me squat. I'm going to try to get it read tomorrow from the place I'm picking up the part. I'll update.

Thanks all!

Edit: while I was cleaning the engine compartment I noticed that the oil filler cap wasn't freaking closed properly so I THINK that was my smell issue.

I used my shop vaq in reverse to blow air into the tail pipe and couldn't locate any exhaust leaks. Started the car up this evening with the oil cap closed properly and only noticed a smell for a few seconds and never again. I'll have to drive it to confirm it but I'm hopeful that was the issue.

Also, I noticed that I can't check the transmission fluid. Wtf? Is there a way to check it at all? I like to do the work myself so if I wanted to change it, is it even possible? I'll Google too but I'd love input.

Pre cleaned car for tax:

Last edited by Lakotamani; 07-15-2022 at 08:24 PM.