R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Injector issue after only 30K miles Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 08:03 AM
Bikeboy2018
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Injector issue after only 30K miles Normal?

I have a 2012 R56 S with barely 30K miles and after almost leaving me stranded in Limp mode the mechanic tells me I need the #2 injector replaced at approximately $900.
This car is like new and has been babied.....but I am not the original owner so I'm paying out of my own pocket. How normal is this scenario? Will I be replacing the other injectors fairly soon as well?

Thanks folks.
Steve

Old 08-01-2022, 08:14 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
Why is your mechanic saying the injector needs to be replaced? Symptoms? Codes?

Old 08-01-2022, 08:39 AM
Bikeboy2018
2nd Gear
He told me it was the #2 injector so I presume he checked the code. Since it was in "official limp mode" under half power, it would throw a code that is easily read I would it not?

Old 08-01-2022, 08:47 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
If the car is an early 2012, it will have the old style fuel pump, and I would expect the fuel pump to go down before a fuel injector. That's why I'm asking what the code was. Seems sketchy to me to want to jump right to replacing a fuel injector...

Old 08-01-2022, 10:50 AM
Bikeboy2018
2nd Gear
I called him and he told me it showed five or six different codes, he checked the fuel rail and all the other options...and without a doubt it's an injector. They work primarily on German cars and claim they see lots of Mini's. It a large, professional shop who have treated me well in the past. When I asked them if an injector going bad at 30K miles was "normal"...they said yes, "for a Mini" I googled the cost of $900 and have found numerous sites indicating $900 was in the normal range.

I knew the Mini was not a Honda or Toyota...I'll stay on top of all maintenance and trust nothing else comes up soon. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:05 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
So, you come here questioning your mechanic and asking if its normal, then refute by saying your mechanic claims its normal, and you believe him? Hopefully it fixes whatever issue you have. Please post a follow up after the replacement.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:49 AM
mustang_gt_350
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You should ask them what codes it had when they pulled them. Not to sound anti-repair shop but I am. I wouldn't think a bad injector at only 30k miles is very unlikely.

Last edited by mustang_gt_350; 08-02-2022 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:15 AM
PickleAhoy
1st Gear
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang_gt_350
You should ask them what codes it had when they pulled them. Not to sound anti-repair shop but I am. I wouldn't think a bad injector at only 30k miles is very likely.
You say its unlikely, but such low miles the car sitting not being driven could have caused some fuel tank contaminants to make it up to the injectors

Old 08-02-2022, 08:59 AM
mustang_gt_350
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PickleAhoy
You say its unlikely, but such low miles the car sitting not being driven could have caused some fuel tank contaminants to make it up to the injectors
I would think the filter system would have caught whatever would have made its way from the tank. And I would think it would have effected the pump and more than one injector?

The injectors can be tested in ISTA

Just thinking out loud. I'm by no means a mini expert and these things are a whole different animal both on issues and how they fuction. I'm almost finished with my flood rebuilds r56. I have had things apart on this car I have never messed with on others before along with the ista/inpa/ncsexpert learning curve. That curve is the equivalent of a 360deg turn on a 12% downhill grade and no brakes lol

Old 08-02-2022, 04:54 PM
Bikeboy2018
2nd Gear
Thanks guys for your options and thoughts. They didn't call me today and I was thinking I would get it back today. I'll pick it up tomorrow I presume and ask for more detailed information at that time. I have my concerns about repair shops as well....even dealerships. These guys have done great work on my Mazda 3 and Camry and I've found them honest and accommodating. Since my "local" Mini dealership (20 miles away) shut down about four moths ago and the car was running half-power, I figured this was the best option at the moment.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted!

Old 08-10-2022, 11:15 PM
keduMINI
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm guessing it wasn't the fuel injector after all. Any updates on this to make this thread more informative/conclusive?

Old 08-11-2022, 02:00 AM
Vanski
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeboy2018
He told me it was the #2 injector so I presume he checked the code. Since it was in "official limp mode" under half power, it would throw a code that is easily read I would it not?

@Bikeboy2018
Ask the technician what is the policy on fixing the issue that was determined and if it doesn’t fix the issue, will they honor for the parts and labor for their misdiagnosed.

Last edited by Vanski; 08-11-2022 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Added the post creator
Old 08-11-2022, 10:47 AM
Bikeboy2018
2nd Gear
Here is the latest. After working on my car for four days they called and said they could not fix it. They gave me a long list of things they tried (and it seemed legit to me) and bottom line; "You need a new DME". It's my understanding this is a major computer component. They said they could get it, install it BUT could not program it. Apparently they have the software they need to re-program this part for all Mercedes and BMWs...but not for MINI. They didn't charge me a penny but I had to have the car trailered to my house where it now sits in my garage. I am now having it taken to the highest recommended Mini repair shop in Atlanta...but they can't see it until next week. So, I now have to have to trailered/towed to this shop which is about sixty-five miles from where I live. Sigh. If it is the DME, I'm told that will be around $1700. However, this second shop told me on the phone, that after working on pretty much on ONLY Minis for twenty-five years, they have NEVER replaced one on a newer car.

I like diagnostic mysteries as much as the next guy....but not so much when I am the one paying the bill AND being without the car for several weeks. Sigh. I'll keep you all posted. However, having only owned the car for six months and with only 29,500 miles on it....I'm more than disappointed and already reconsidering this purchase I'm afraid.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:53 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Its too bad they never told you what the actual codes were that started them down that path

Old 08-11-2022, 11:21 AM
Bikeboy2018
2nd Gear
They did tell me over the phone. But it was a list of about eight codes as they eventually started to look at everything but the horn buttons. It was too much info for me to digest and write down at the time. The way I'm explaining this may make these guys seem a little shady....but in person they are anything but.
They've always gone the extra mile with me on all my other (Japanese) cars, the shop is large and clean, nice website and they've even personally introduced me to all the staff and technicians. There are always lots of German cars in the lot and they've been around for about twenty years. So....they are either in over their heads, which is a bit hard to believe, or they really are limited without access to the proprietary MINI software.

OR....my assessment and ability to "read" people is not what I think it is. My appointment with the new guys (Bavarian Repair, Woodstock, GA) is next Thursday...I'll keep you all in the loop.

Last edited by Bikeboy2018; 08-11-2022 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:50 AM
Vanski
3rd Gear
@Bikeboy2018

If it is indeed the DME, I highly recommend getting your DME repaired by ECU pro.

Originally Posted by Bikeboy2018
They did tell me over the phone. But it was a list of about eight codes as they eventually started to look at everything but the horn buttons. It was too much info for me to digest and write down at the time. The way I'm explaining this may make these guys seem a little shady....but in person they are anything but.
They've always gone the extra mile with me on all my other (Japanese) cars, the shop is large and clean, nice website and they've even personally introduced me to all the staff and technicians. There are always lots of German cars in the lot and they've been around for about twenty years. So....they are either in over their heads, which is a bit hard to believe, or they really are limited without access to the proprietary MINI software.

OR....my assessment and ability to "read" people is not what I think it is. My appointment with the new guys (Bavarian Repair, Woodstock, GA) is next Thursday...I'll keep you all in the loop.

Last edited by Vanski; 08-14-2022 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Name and grammar
Old 08-14-2022, 12:45 PM
Bikeboy2018
2nd Gear
Thanks Vanski, I'll consider this. And then I may consider selling the car.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:26 PM
Bikeboy2018
2nd Gear
Sorry to be so late with the follow-up....but here is the story. After taking the car to a local a local Import repair shop here in Gainesville, I took the advice of several others in the North Atlanta area and had it towed ninety miles to Bavarian Repair in Woodstock, GA. They came highly recommended by many Mini owners and groups in throughout GA and I had my fingers crossed...and my checkbook at the ready. Turns out they were backed up almost three weeks and so I had no option but to wait.

After having it towed in they got back to me after two days and told me they initially thought it was just plugs and ignition coils. The next day they called and said it was something larger than that and they were doing more checking. Later that day they called and said it was indeed...a bad DME. They were kinda surprised and told me that after many years of working on BMWs and Minis.....they had never seen one that had to be replaced on a newer generation car...mine is a 2012. The cost was going to VERY expensive. After talking it over with my wife we decided to sleep on it....but sleep didn't come easy. It was then that I remembered Vanski here had suggested a place in PA called The ECU Pro...who specialize in repairing Mini electronics, especially DMEs. After a couple of phone calls I had they repaired the unit and shipped it back to Bavarian Repair....who had agreed to install it even though I didn't purchase a new unit from them. I save myself a LOT of money. But of course then I feared, what if they install it and it still doesn't work? Well....it did work and the car is running like a charm.

Let me also say that ECU Pro called me several times during their process to keep me apprised of how it was coming and to be sure I had all my questions answered. They were beyond anything I hoped for and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Same for Bavarian Repair...honest and job well done. Nice people too. Last, thanks to Vanski in Maine for the heads up on this forum!

Now...for the sad news: I'm putting her up for sale. I've spent 20+ years enjoying Miatas and have had several. Never had to do any work on any of them except for regular maintenance and reasonable costs. A couple of years ago I was getting a bit bored and after a LOT of homework decided the Mini might be a lot of fun as well. There are lots of Minis in the Atlanta area and I live near great motorcycle and sports car roads in N. GA. Just three hours from Deals Gap. I bought a super-clean one-owner car that was immaculate and always garaged and covered. The owner was **** with his maintenance, threw in extra oil and filters and the milage when I bought it was 29,100 miles. When it essentially left me stranded it had 29,800 miles. I realize that the chance of me having to replace this part again is extremely high. But what about all the other niggling things that Minis seem to have become infamous for? I really love driving this car. I'm in my early 70s and find the car very comfortable to drive, get into and just plain fun. The interior has just a "little" more room, quieter inside, lots more low end torque than my Miatas, great HK stereo....goofy controls, buttons and switches....but a fun car for sure. But how long before I have to write another large check or two? What if I get stranded again? And what's the deal with the high cost for parts and repair? The Germans can't match Japanese build quality? Somehow, I doubt that. Maybe it's more like pre-planned obsolescence?

A great car in many ways..but I've decided that driving a fun car without peace of mind just isn't worth it. I hate it, but it is what it is. Thank you all for your help, support and friendship.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bikeboy2018:
JeffInDFW (01-05-2023), Vanski (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 06:08 PM
Vanski
3rd Gear
@Bikeboy2018

You’re very welcome and so glad it worked out well