R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Vehicle speed sensor A location

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 01:56 PM
Triple blaq mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle speed sensor A location

Can somebody with the correct knowledge tell me where the vehicle speed sensor a is on an r56? I tried Google, forum search bars, you tube but apparently I'm the only dumb *** that seems to have come across this trouble code (p0502 vssA) abs light, cel, brake light illuminated, with all the power of the web at my fingertips tips I can't even find a diffenitive answered I keep finding a bunch of trash threads that get side tracked from the original question, so you have to read through a bunch of worthless replys hoping you find some info and never even do, and info that contradicts each other, I can't stand working on cars any more, I can never find an answer to questions that should have been answered long before I even had this issue, I just can't help but vent my frustration in vehicle diagnostics let alone component locations. Like am I the only moron who ever wondered where vss a is located??

Old 08-21-2022, 04:31 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
As far as I know, the car uses the wheel ABS sensors for vehicle speed reporting. If you also have an illuminated ABS light and Brake light, I would surmise that one of your wheel speed sensors is faulting. You’ll need to get your hands on a BMW/Mini code reader to find the specific code for the fault. That code will tell you which sensor is not right.

Old 08-22-2022, 01:38 AM
Triple blaq mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
As far as I know, the car uses the wheel ABS sensors for vehicle speed reporting. If you also have an illuminated ABS light and Brake light, I would surmise that one of your wheel speed sensors is faulting. You’ll need to get your hands on a BMW/Mini code reader to find the specific code for the fault. That code will tell you which sensor is not right.
thanks can you give me a link to the scan tool that I should get or the name of the scanner? I have my actron scan tool but I guess it isn't sufficient enough for bmw diagnostics.

Old 08-22-2022, 03:34 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
I use the Carly app to read DTCs, since it also does some coding functions:
https://www.mycarly.com

But for a dedicated scanner, you’ll need something like this:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (08-31-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 04:16 AM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Another Scanner/coding app is Bimmerlink and Bimmercode. These have worked well for me as well. I didn't hear about Carly till after I purchased Bimmerlink so sorry, no real comparison.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:04 PM
Triple blaq mini
1st Gear
I decided to pull the wheels off and check the sensors and connectors for any visual signs of problems, noticed that the front two speed sensors where caked up with a little bit of grease/dirt after removing them from the knuckle . I decided to clean them up with some brake cleaner and reinstall and see what happens, been driving a few days and the code cleard itself and the abs and brake lamp indicators are gone, so if any one happens to run into this problem check your sensors and make sure they are clean.