R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Tuned springs, stock shocks and suspension spacers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022 | 08:35 AM
PeaceVam
|
Neutral
Tuned springs, stock shocks and suspension spacers

I am not sure anyone ever needs this little manual; however, I will do it anyway.

I was not happy with suspension of my R56 hatch since I bought it 5 years ago. So, when this February I saw online a barely used set of tuned Japanese springs for super cheap I immediately bought it and installed them latter in May (https://store.giomic.com/products/lo...42139928133830). Turning and cornering, breaking and accelerating became much sharper and tighter right away, BUT with a price of a comfort of course.. With a loss of 30mm in a ride height every little bumb, every hole, every crack on road penetrated through my car and spine (and what even worse my passengers’ backs too). Moreover, after 2 month of daily tortures both front shocks gave up and leaked. What I believe had happened is that my stock shocks we not made to work in a range where they were forced to work by new springs.

I ordered four brand new shocks and in the meanwhile spent another few weeks trying to figure out what to do, because I was not ready to give up these springs. I liked the change in steering they gave. However, replacing shocks every few month is rather expensive entertainment.

Finally, I found a local shop that sells clearance lift kits for off roaders, it was a long shot, but I decided to try it and called them. They were surprised, it took a while to explain what and why I want them to do, but finally they agreed to try with no warranty of course. I went there and after a couple of hours, they custom cut and installed four spacers that went in-between springs and top mounts.

The result is amazing. All the bonuses of tuned springs and an ability to go over speed bumbs without jumping and hitting the bottom.

To sum up.. Everyone how wants to make your daily driver a bit better controlled I recommend to consider this way over the cheap adjustable coil overs. At least it worked for me

FRONT before:

fitting, trying, cutting..

FRONT after:

REAR before:

REAR after:

Last edited by PeaceVam; 08-31-2022 at 09:06 AM.