R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Can I drive without regestering new battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 12:42 PM
theateist
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I drive without regestering new battery?

I have Cooper S Trubo 2009 R56.
I need to replace the battery. My current one is 570CCA 70amp and I'm putting a 650CCA 60amp.
I understand that I need to register the new battery. I don't have the device to do it myself, so I'd like to put the new battery and then drive either to AutoZone or MINI dealership to register the battery.
Can I safely drive with the new battery without registering it first? If yes, how long can I drive without regestering it?

Old 09-21-2022, 04:11 PM
cDecker32
1st Gear
I'm pretty sure you can drive it no problem. I think it just causes the battery to drain faster.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:55 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by theateist
Can I safely drive with the new battery without registering it first? If yes, how long can I drive without regestering it?
Yes.

And if I may (OT):
It is both easier for those who respond to threads as well as those reading them in the future, if dependent and/or related issues are kept in one thread instead of several. Not only does this make it easier to read and follow "what is happening" and draw the right conclusions, it also makes it easier to detect what information you already know and what not.

Originally Posted by cDecker32
I think it just causes the battery to drain faster.
No. How fast a battery drains depends on how much energy is drawn by the appliances connected to it.

Not registering a battery (assuming a "registering" has to take place in the first place*) causes the car to apply to the new battery the same MIN-MAX charing thresholds as it had evaluated for the old battery (i.e. it will limit the usable capacity range for the new battery to the values that were evaluated for the old battery when the latter was near the end of its life). In the long rung, this may cause the new battery to wear faster than otherwise.

* if IBS is not fitted, registering a new battery is neither required, nor does it have any positive effect.

Last edited by giorgos; 09-21-2022 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:32 PM
theateist
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by giorgos
Yes.

And if I may (OT):
It is both easier for those who respond to threads as well as those reading them in the future, if dependent and/or related issues are kept in one thread instead of several. Not only does this make it easier to read and follow "what is happening" and draw the right conclusions, it also makes it easier to detect what information you already know and what not.
What do you mean?

Old 09-22-2022, 07:39 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
What do you mean?
You have created at least 4 different threads about battery issues, each with relevant information. It's a lot easier for someone to give solid advice if all the facts are in one thread.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:45 PM
theateist
2nd Gear
The whole idea of any question/post is to focus on a single issue in order to get a comprehensive answers and not ask million questions in a single post! Though my questions are about the same car, they are completely independent! How the question regarding battery registration has anything to do with my question regarding battery replacement, or the question about jump start, or using bleach under the hood and so on?

Old 09-25-2022, 12:42 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
The questions:
- Can I use a battery with lower amps?
- Can I drive without regestering new battery?
are directly related:
a. they require pretty much the same background information in order to be answered precisely and comprehensively
b. the comprehensive answers to them (i.e. listing all cases where either of them is yes/no as well as the preconditions for each case) partly overlap.

This is ignoring the fact that a simple forum search for either "battery registration" or "battery replacement" would have provided more than enough information in order to answer both questions.

Equally:
- Should I replace battery if it goes to 8.6v after charging?
- Can I safely jump start my car when it wasn't used for 2.5 years?
- Can I use a jump starter (with battery being removed) to start a car?
also relate to each other:
The fact that the battery shows 8.6V (i.e. two but not all cells are completely dead) is relevant background information for the second (jump starting with a battery with all cells dead will behave more like jump starting it without any battery at all). And the second and third may in certain cases be the same (i.e. when the battery is completely dead).

Is that enough "relevance" for you or are you going to respond by comparing one of the addressed threads with one which is indeed completely irrelevant (i.e. the one about using bleach under the hood)?

There are no strict rules about how specific or "wide" a thread subject may be. We need to pass judgement ourselves. However, if two or more questions require pretty much the same background information in order to be answered precisely AND comprehensively, I'd put them into one thread. You can certainly choose not to but that (imho) does not help those willing to help get all the relevant information easily and concisely.

Apologies to all for being OT!

Old 09-25-2022, 01:28 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
The whole idea of any question/post is to focus on a single issue in order to get a comprehensive answers and not ask million questions in a single post! Though my questions are about the same car, they are completely independent! How the question regarding battery registration has anything to do with my question regarding battery replacement, or the question about jump start, or using bleach under the hood and so on?
To me, the bleach one is separate and the rest are related. But it's no big deal, so don't sweat it.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:25 AM
theateist
2nd Gear
I see your point. Regardless, I came up with questions over time. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before trying anything. So, while reading some comments and responses, I came up with other questions.
Thanks for responding.