R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Idles briefly then dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 07:22 PM
Borjawil
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Idles briefly then dies

09 mini 200k non s turbo (base model)

PO did a timing chain job. One cam was 180 out and had bent valves. New valves installed. Timing triple checked. VVT solenoids we're clogged and broken screens. Replaced both. New plugs and new coils (aftermarket)

​​​​​​Have everything back together. Starts up and idles for about 2-3secs then dies. If I hit the stop/start button a few times to prime the fuel it'll idle better/slightly longer. If it dies then I restart it, it'll idle very briefly at about 1sec or less. Sounds like I have a fuel issue. Like my pump isn't continuing to supply fuel or a loss of pressure. Could be wrong though.

I also have a code for B1S1 o2 sensor (p0030) never had an O2 code affect running like this, but who knows. Also gave the exclamation point and "on lift" lights present. Pass is jacked up but even with driver side, and wheel is off. Rotors do need replacing. Wasn't sure if it being "on a lift" would affect running.

Any advice or ideas? ​​​​​​

Old 01-03-2023, 04:11 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Borjawil
09 mini 200k non s turbo (base model)

PO did a timing chain job. One cam was 180 out and had bent valves. New valves installed. Timing triple checked. VVT solenoids we're clogged and broken screens. Replaced both. New plugs and new coils (aftermarket)

​​​​​​Have everything back together. Starts up and idles for about 2-3secs then dies. If I hit the stop/start button a few times to prime the fuel it'll idle better/slightly longer. If it dies then I restart it, it'll idle very briefly at about 1sec or less. Sounds like I have a fuel issue. Like my pump isn't continuing to supply fuel or a loss of pressure. Could be wrong though.

I also have a code for B1S1 o2 sensor (p0030) never had an O2 code affect running like this, but who knows. Also gave the exclamation point and "on lift" lights present. Pass is jacked up but even with driver side, and wheel is off. Rotors do need replacing. Wasn't sure if it being "on a lift" would affect running.

Any advice or ideas? ​​​​​​
Reads like a fuel pump issue.

Need to confirm fuel pump is running when the engine dies. If you can hear the fuel pump running when the engine starts then hear it stop running...

However, most fuel pumps are rather quiet and one can't hear them during the elevated noise level at and shortly after engine start. So you need a helper to start the engine while you are situated (safely situated) and can observe/listen to (even have a hand on if possible) the fuel pump to see if 1) It runs at just prior to and at engine start; and 2) Continues to run after engine start and is running when the engine dies. Or not running which is the expected behavior.

Another way to "test" the fuel pump -- I observed a tech do this when I had a car in with a suspected bad fuel pump -- is he just gained access to the fuel pump (top of it sticking out of the fuel tank) and disconnected the fuel pump wiring from the harness and then connected 12V shop power to the pump. It did not run. In the case of your fuel pump it might run a moment or two then stop. Or slow way down. In some way manifest signs it is clearly not operating up to par.

Old 01-03-2023, 06:09 PM
Borjawil
1st Gear
Key in hit the start button, clutch not pressed, hear solenoids upfront. Nothing from rear through gas fill tube or tank with ear about 10" away.

Start car can't hear much while running, but when it dies then I can hear the fuel pump at the tank.

Removed fuel line at rail and did the above. Fuel only comes out when cranking. No prime.

Old 01-04-2023, 11:26 AM
Borjawil
1st Gear
Also on passenger side of tank, on the side of the tank is a solenoid or maybe external pump? Plastic black and grey I think? Seems fuel or possible evap line runs from it. Any identification of this part?

I checked my fuses in engine bay, and one fuse in the pass foot well (far right, and 3 up I think). Pulled that fuse to perform a compression check so fuel wouldn't flow when cranking. I'll check all the others in that box as well to be sure. Also swapped the two big black solenoids in engine fuse box to confirm any issues with those.

Old 01-09-2023, 02:41 PM
Borjawil
1st Gear
Looks like I have power at my blue/white wire, and an injector was the issue.

So for anyone searching for answers.
​​​​​​Fuel system components are the pump on one side of the tank, sender on the other side of the tank, 20amp fuse in the fuse box of passenger foot well (first 20amp fuse 5? Slots from the top on the right side of the fuse box), black square removable MAIN solenoid in that fuse box at center bottom, and a soldered relay on the circuit board of that fuse box.

Check for power at the 20amp fuse. If there's power, check for power at the connector (blue and white wire) to the left of the black solenoid, when car is on engine off, when cranking, or rubbing. If there's power there then you're looking at a fuel pump or filter or other blockage, or wiring to fuel pump. No power to blue and white wire then it's the soldered relay.

​​​​​