R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Rear hatch randomly unlatching

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 04:12 PM
chucky5150
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear hatch randomly unlatching

Have some phantom rear hatch unlatching issues.
The previous owner had some issues with it as well. Only now it has gotten to the point that I can not start the car without it unlatching on it's own.

Here is what I've done so far:
  1. Replaced the latch with new from ECS.
  2. Disconnected the unlatch button.
  3. Tried a different key fob.
  4. Had the footwell module and CAS units tested. Both came back with a clean bill of health.
Even with the button disconnected the latch was clicking to unlatch.
The previous owner installed his own button. That was connected to the red and white wires.
What else would be sending a signal to unlatch the rear hatch?
Does anyone know where I can find a wiring schematic or at least what wire colors do what?
The brown wire (with the white pigtail) seems to be ground.
Not sure about the Blue w/ red stripe (red pigtail) is ?

Side note: Does the Bentley manual show wiring schematics and what not? It has been sitting in my cart for awhile now.
​​​​​​​

Old 01-16-2023, 07:45 AM
KeyPlayaJim
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had the same problem with my 2013 R56S almost since day 1. Unfortunately, even the stealership has been unable to duplicate or solve it. It doesn't happen nearly as often now as it used to, but it still occurs occasionally. Several times, I've actually heard it unlatch while sitting in the car with the engine shut off.

It only seems to happen when the key fob is in the dash, which makes me wonder if something is pressing on the trunk unlatch button, although I've never been able to find anything.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:25 AM
chucky5150
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KeyPlayaJim
I've had the same problem with my 2013 R56S almost since day 1. Unfortunately, even the stealership has been unable to duplicate or solve it. It doesn't happen nearly as often now as it used to, but it still occurs occasionally. Several times, I've actually heard it unlatch while sitting in the car with the engine shut off.

It only seems to happen when the key fob is in the dash, which makes me wonder if something is pressing on the trunk unlatch button, although I've never been able to find anything.
Yeah, I've handful of post on here with similar issues. Have yet to really fix the it unless it is just cleaning / replacing the micro switch on the hatch. My current plan is to just install a button that supplies the pos 12 vdc to the switch. Downside it that it'll only open from the inside, but it wont be able to randomly open.