R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 battery change...caused this error

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 10:31 AM
ortizinc
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery change...caused this error

I just changed my battery in my 2006 R56 Cooper S. It did not need a battery reset as there was no additional cable or box coming off the negative lead. I connected a batter to the OBD2 to keep all the settings on. After I changed the battery, I had to reset the auto up/down on the windows. But the real issue is that none of the dash boards lights or dings come on. There is not speedo, tach etc. And now the ODB port is not working. Can't connect my scanner to it to see what the problems are? Is this an issue with FRM? BTW, the car started up with no engine issues.

Ernie .

Old 02-05-2023, 03:56 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by ortizinc
I just changed my battery in my 2006 R56 Cooper S. It did not need a battery reset as there was no additional cable or box coming off the negative lead. I connected a batter to the OBD2 to keep all the settings on. After I changed the battery, I had to reset the auto up/down on the windows. But the real issue is that none of the dash boards lights or dings come on. There is not speedo, tach etc. And now the ODB port is not working. Can't connect my scanner to it to see what the problems are? Is this an issue with FRM? BTW, the car started up with no engine issues.

Ernie .
Could be an issue with the FRM. There are a number of search hits on issues with the FRM after jump starting the engine or battery replacement. Also there are search hits on resetting the FRM.

You can search using this "2006 mini frm module reset" string (without the quotes) and review the search hits to select a reset procedure and give that a try.

Old 02-06-2023, 08:02 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ortizinc
I connected a batter to the OBD2 to keep all the settings on. After I changed the battery, I had to reset the auto up/down on the windows.
Did you (or the car by itself) do anything electrically while the battery was out and a second one connected via OBD2? If so, the wiring/circuits involved (to/from the OBD2 port) may have fried as I doubt they were designed to deal with high current flow.

FWIW and in case other readers come across this thread and are tempted to think that settings are lost when disconnecting the battery:

Connecting a battery or other voltage source via OBD2 or any other way is not mentioned in the BMW/MINI instructions for disconnecting or replacing the battery. Also: in over 20 times I have disconnected the battery in my R56 LCI (with IBS), no settings besides the clock time were ever lost. Door windows and the rain/light sensors required initialisation about twice each. The panorama sun roof not once.