R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Window Not Going All The Way Up/Auto Dropping

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 01:04 PM
airbusA346
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window Not Going All The Way Up/Auto Dropping

I've fitted new black door handles to my R56 S, which obviously requires removing the window and unbolting the window regulator.

After reassembling all the internals I tested the window before refitting the door card.

With the door open the window goes up and down fine, but with the door closed it appears as if the anti-trap system is activating, when it gets about 2 inches from the top it automatically drops. After several attempts the window switch then stops working completely (it starts working again several minutes later when the ignition has been off).

I've tried the window reset showed on YouTube, but it doesn't work because the window won't fully close.

Any suggestions on how to fix this.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:03 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by airbusA346
I've fitted new black door handles to my R56 S, which obviously requires removing the window and unbolting the window regulator.

After reassembling all the internals I tested the window before refitting the door card.

With the door open the window goes up and down fine, but with the door closed it appears as if the anti-trap system is activating, when it gets about 2 inches from the top it automatically drops. After several attempts the window switch then stops working completely (it starts working again several minutes later when the ignition has been off).

I've tried the window reset showed on YouTube, but it doesn't work because the window won't fully close.

Any suggestions on how to fix this.
Sort of reads like the window was not put back into/connected to the window regulator correctly or the regulator was not fully down or at least in the proper position.

A trick is to do take pics before the window is removed and to have the door card off the other side to be able to use it as a reference to get 1st one door window working right then one can do the 2nd door.

'course too late for that now but something to file away for next time.

If you gain access to the door internals again I'm thinking you can work the window with the door open then closed and see what might be interfering with the window going all the way up.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:06 PM
airbusA346
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockC
Sort of reads like the window was not put back into/connected to the window regulator correctly or the regulator was not fully down or at least in the proper position.

A trick is to do take pics before the window is removed and to have the door card off the other side to be able to use it as a reference to get 1st one door window working right then one can do the 2nd door.

'course too late for that now but something to file away for next time.

If you gain access to the door internals again I'm thinking you can work the window with the door open then closed and see what might be interfering with the window going all the way up.
It's weird because it goes up and down perfectly when the door is open. The issue is when it is closed.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:01 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by airbusA346
It's weird because it goes up and down perfectly when the door is open. The issue is when it is closed.
Yes, I got that. But you are at the car. Is it not possible for you to observe the window operation with the door open then closed to see what might account for the failure of the window to make full travel with the door closed?

Old 03-03-2023, 06:15 PM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
I just had the same problem with my current project car. The passenger window was fine, but I had to reinitialize the driver's side with my Foxwell scan tool. Worked like a champ.