R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 About Front Big Brake Kit issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 03:38 AM
karenjackson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About Front Big Brake Kit issue

I am facing an issue with my car, a 2008 Mini Cooper S R56. I have installed a big brake kit with a 350mm disc diameter and 32mm thickness. However, I cannot fit the wheels due to interference with the calipers. To solve this, I added a 15mm spacer. Now, I want to remove the spacer, but I need to find a solution to replace the calipers with a thinner or smaller one as I am lacking 12mm of clearance space.

The reason I need to remove the spacer is that my car is due for registration soon. In my country, using a wheel spacer is strictly prohibited, so I need to take it out.

Is there any solution? I cannot replace the entire front brake system to get the original one as my original set is damaged and rusted and cannot be used.

Can I use the original calipers for a 32mm disc thickness?

About Front Big Brake Kit issue-tgagoza.jpg

Old 04-03-2023, 08:02 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
What country and why cant you use a spacer? You would have to go all back to the stock set up.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-03-2023, 08:16 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
What country and why cant you use a spacer? You would have to go all back to the stock set up.
Some of those European countries have those regulations.

I think you're only options are going to be find a set of wheels that will clear, or go back to stock set up to clear your inspection. I imagine going back to stock brakes will be the quickest and least expensive option. After the inspection, swap back to the big brakes and wheel spacers.

Old 04-03-2023, 10:13 AM
karenjackson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
Some of those European countries have those regulations.

I think you're only options are going to be find a set of wheels that will clear, or go back to stock set up to clear your inspection. I imagine going back to stock brakes will be the quickest and least expensive option. After the inspection, swap back to the big brakes and wheel spacers.
Where I am currently living, the process of getting a car inspection is very illogical. My car was manufactured in 2008, so I have to get it inspected every six months. Every time, they come up with all sorts of reasons to reject it, such as the headlights not being bright enough, the wrong type of headlights, not allowing spacers, not allowing larger tires (for example, going from 205/45/r17 to 215/45/r17), not allowing changes to the grill, and not allowing body kits. What's even more amusing is that the people who do the inspection in my country often have less experience than the car owners themselves (in most cases).