R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 bypass for the fuel pump relay k96 from the jbe - is my bypass correct? R56 S LCI

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 12:49 AM
Bumme56
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bypass for the fuel pump relay k96 from the jbe - is my bypass correct? R56 S LCI

Hello guys,

I have a Mini Cooper S R56 LCI from 2012.

I had the following problem: the car died while driving in the city and I wasn’t able to start it again. So I checked the fuel pump and realized that there was no voltage coming from the white/blue cable to the fuel pump. So the fuel pump wasn’t running.

Then I tried to bypass the fuel pump relay K96 which is mounted directly into the junction box on the right side of the car in the foot are.

I realized the bypass as following:
- Pin 87 goes to the white/blue cable from jbe plug X11010, the cable ends in the in tank fuel pump in the back of the car, it delivers power to it
- Pin 30 goes to the fuse F46 which transfers power, there is only power when the ignition is on
- Pin 86 goes to the red/yellow/black cable of the cigarette lighter from jbe plug X11003
- Pin 85 goes to body mass, mounted it on a screw which directly screws into the metal of the car

So after installing that the car ran pretty good and fired up directly like nothing happened be-fore. I was happy and thought that I fixed the problem. But after maybe 30km the half yellow engine light came on and I got two error codes:
- P0001
- P0003

After diagnosing that with a cheap obd II scanner I had a look at the circuit diagram again. I realized that I maybe have to change something, maybe there is an error. I looked at the dia-gram for the relay K96, which is the fuel pump relay I wanted to bypass. The diagram shows the following:

- Pin 30 gets instant power from the fuse F46
-> no difference to my bypass
- Pin 85 gets body mass from the dme from a purple/green cable in plug X11008
-> different to my bypass
- Pin 87 delivers the power tot he white/blue cable from the fuel pump in plug X11010
-> no difference to my bypass
- Pin 86 gets a power signal from the relay I01068, the relay sits in the middle oft the jbe and can get depluged by hand
-> different to my bypass

So I think that maybe here is the problem which results in showing some error codes. I would like to test the following:

- connect Pin 85 from the external relay to the green/purple wire from Pin X10008 to get a trig-gered mass signal directly from the dme (instead of hanging it directly onto the metal)
- I wouldn’t change the power delivery to Pin 86, I think that it wont make any difference be-tween getting power from a relay or from the cigarette lighter

I have the following questions:
1. Does anything speak against my plan changing the control of the Pin 85 and connect it di-rectly to the cable that comes from the dme?
2. Is it right that the dme delivers a mass signal to the relay K96 to Pin 85?
3. Is it right that the relay I01068 delivers a power signal to the relay K96 to Pin 86?
4. Is it right that the dme triggers a mass signal to the relay K96 which the activates the relay so that it closes to get power from Pin 30 to Pin 87 so that the fuel pump will run?
So that would mean that only the dme controls the relay K96 alone by giving a mass signal or not?

After changing the bypass relay to my suggested plan the external relay should work exactly like the original K96 fuel pump relay would do? Am I right?

I listed three pictures oft he circuit diagrams I got my infos from.
Hopefully someone can help me.
If there are any questions please feel free to ask me.

Thanks a lot!
Greetings

Old 06-27-2023, 11:49 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Both of those error codes are related to the flow control valve in the high pressure fuel pump.
I think it's a lost cause to try bypassing the relay for the low pressure pump. I would suggest deleting your bypass, install the relay, clear the codes and see if they come back again.
If they come back,check the wiring between the control valve and the DME. If it's good, then you probably need to replace the high pressure pump.

Old 06-27-2023, 12:03 PM
Bumme56
Neutral
Originally Posted by mrbean
Both of those error codes are related to the flow control valve in the high pressure fuel pump.
I think it's a lost cause to try bypassing the relay for the low pressure pump. I would suggest deleting your bypass, install the relay, clear the codes and see if they come back again.
If they come back,check the wiring between the control valve and the DME. If it's good, then you probably need to replace the high pressure pump.
Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
The problem is that the relay k96, which ist the fuel pump relay, is broken. It isnt working anymore.

Thats why I decided to bypass it with an external relay. The relay k96 is soldered directly to the jbe. It cant be switched without taking the whole jbe in its parts.

The other Option would be replacing it with a new one which costs about 400€ or buying a used one with the same article number. Both wouldnt be that easy.

The car is running with the bypass. Its starting again. So the bypass solved my no crank no start problem. The bypass itself should be correct.

The question is if it would be possible to finalize the circuit wiring in the case I mentioned in my previous post.

Old 10-17-2023, 11:21 PM
darkmeth
Neutral
Originally Posted by Bumme56
Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
The problem is that the relay k96, which ist the fuel pump relay, is broken. It isnt working anymore.

Thats why I decided to bypass it with an external relay. The relay k96 is soldered directly to the jbe. It cant be switched without taking the whole jbe in its parts.

The other Option would be replacing it with a new one which costs about 400€ or buying a used one with the same article number. Both wouldnt be that easy.

The car is running with the bypass. Its starting again. So the bypass solved my no crank no start problem. The bypass itself should be correct.

The question is if it would be possible to finalize the circuit wiring in the case I mentioned in my previous post.
@Bumme56 Did you ever get confirmation on the potential approach for the re-wire? Also, which relay did you use for the external bypass? Any other updates? There's a national back-order on the MINI JBE so this solution may be very helpful to many right now. Thanks for the detailed write-up too!

Old 07-18-2024, 09:36 PM
Bumme56
Neutral
Originally Posted by darkmeth
@Bumme56 Did you ever get confirmation on the potential approach for the re-wire? Also, which relay did you use for the external bypass? Any other updates? There's a national back-order on the MINI JBE so this solution may be very helpful to many right now. Thanks for the detailed write-up too!
Hello,
sorry for the lateness.
Yes, it works since today pretty fine. No error.
Perfect

I took a pretty cheap 12V 40A standard car relais with 4 pins. Nothing special. Like this:

Greetings Form Germany