R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oil catchcan spot ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 04:47 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 630 Likes on 497 Posts
Oil catchcan spot ???

So my aftermarket intake makes it almost impossible to run a catchcan in-between the intake and valve cover..
caaaaaaan I run a catchcan on the other side of the pcv system ? Like in the hoses that comes off the left rear side corner of the valvecover after it goes through the pcv ????? It woooooould still filter that crap befor it got sucked into the intake manifold. Because I seen the pcv system uptop does get decent amount of condensation in it ( I have a aluminum valvecover, it's serviceable)
would that be better to run a catchcan on that side of the pcv vs not running one at all ??? Or is that a usrless spot ( though i can't imagine it's useless )..

Old 02-22-2024, 08:31 AM
Coz3z3
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's where mine sits. I notice you have the hood latch alarm thing though it seems. Don't mind the dirt lol

Old 02-25-2024, 05:23 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Coz3z3
Here's where mine sits. I notice you have the hood latch alarm thing though it seems. Don't mind the dirt lol
yes I know.i had mine there too but are you plumbed off the manifold to valve cover ?

Old 02-25-2024, 10:54 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
On the N14, I think the most beneficial catch can install will be on the line from the cam cover to the intake manifold. The line from the cam cover to the turbo inlet will have less impact.

Old 02-25-2024, 12:17 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
On the N14, I think the most beneficial catch can install will be on the line from the cam cover to the intake manifold. The line from the cam cover to the turbo inlet will have less impact.
if he’s really that worried I would do both, if I had an n14 and didn’t block off the passenger side. Driver side you will only really notice anything during the winter months. Yes I ran my passenger side blocked off for pretty much the whole time I had the car, still had to walnut blast the intake valves, that fixed my misfire issue.

Old 03-06-2024, 06:12 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Thanks for the info guys...
I will run a 2x can setup soon and hopefully down the road do the block off or 3x port catchcan setup..

Old 03-08-2024, 07:45 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jason Cornelius
if he’s really that worried I would do both, if I had an n14 and didn’t block off the passenger side. Driver side you will only really notice anything during the winter months. Yes I ran my passenger side blocked off for pretty much the whole time I had the car, still had to walnut blast the intake valves, that fixed my misfire issue.
could I block off the intake manifold port and run both valve covers lines into a 3x port catch cam and then have the 3rd port go to my intake then ??? Or am I not understanding the vacuum routing correctly ??

Old 03-09-2024, 04:07 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniManAdam
could I block off the intake manifold port and run both valve covers lines into a 3x port catch cam and then have the 3rd port go to my intake then ??? Or am I not understanding the vacuum routing correctly ??
honestly I don’t know it it would work or not. I’m not trying to pull the search button on you here, but I can’t remember what videos I watched where they explained the system. When I decided to block passenger side ports, my goal was to try to cut down what was hitting the valves, which I still had to walnut blast them. I would do both if I had to do it again. There is a kit, don’t remember company, that is made for both, I think they were overseas though.

Old 03-09-2024, 07:39 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jason Cornelius
honestly I don’t know it it would work or not. I’m not trying to pull the search button on you here, but I can’t remember what videos I watched where they explained the system. When I decided to block passenger side ports, my goal was to try to cut down what was hitting the valves, which I still had to walnut blast them. I would do both if I had to do it again. There is a kit, don’t remember company, that is made for both, I think they were overseas though.
yea your rite..Best just do 2x to be safe..
So I will be running a dual can system them.. i just ordered 2x cans i hope are going to work.
the one I have is stupid, the in-line is on the right side not the left like most cans and they come out at and angle away from each other and make routing the lines impossible. I also might have to switch my intaje to an n18 style or vice versa ( not sure which style intake I have actually) but I will also buy more rubber hosing since I used the last of it running my own pcv line out the valvecover to the manifold .I broke that pos plastic hose and tried for over an hour to install an oem one but just couldn't get tge routing correct so I said screw it.
I have all the room I need too to run a dual can because I'm running a homemade intake now.