R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2011 mini cooper s crank but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 05:20 PM
yyj3869
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2011 mini cooper s crank but won't start

One of my friend has 2011 mini cooper s with 93k miles and car was running about a week ago but died after filling up at a gas station. it would crank but it wouldn't catch like video attached.
he replaced the fuel pump 3 months ago. what else could it be?

Attached Files

Last edited by yyj3869; 03-01-2024 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:54 AM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
If you have to ask that question, you need the services of a professional diagnostic guy. When I see a new problem like the one you're describing, the first question I ask is, what did you just do to the car (besides the fill-up)? What is the maintenance/repair history for the past 12 months? The basics ... are you getting fuel, spark, air? Has the timing slipped?

Old 03-01-2024, 09:12 AM
yyj3869
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mkov608
If you have to ask that question, you need the services of a professional diagnostic guy. When I see a new problem like the one you're describing, the first question I ask is, what did you just do to the car (besides the fill-up)? What is the maintenance/repair history for the past 12 months? The basics ... are you getting fuel, spark, air? Has the timing slipped?
Thanks for the reply. sorry since it's one of my friends car so sorry about the explanation. I've attached current service history.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:34 AM
mkov608
5th Gear
Oh My! You've spent more than the car's worth. I'd take it back to the place the performed all those repairs. There should be some type of warranty on their repair work.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:40 AM
yyj3869
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mkov608
Oh My! You've spent more than the car's worth. I'd take it back to the place the performed all those repairs. There should be some type of warranty on their repair work.
Yeah I know. As I mentioned, It's not my car lol. I think my friend was ripped off from the shop. I was literally surprised how much he paid for. I've checked the review on yelp and noticed that the shop usually overcharge service fee to the customers and unfortunately the shop is almost 100 miles away so I don't think he will take it back to the shop.
I'm thinking of buying this car at $3000. it ran only 93k miles.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:46 AM
mkov608
5th Gear
Good luck.

Old 03-01-2024, 05:12 PM
AidanB
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a bmw code reader? I bought a mini from auction that would crank but not start. It was throwing codes about not being able to adjust the vanos solenoids IIRC. You can try swapping the intake and exhaust vanos sensors (on the top of the valve cover, held down with a single bolt). Or, if you get unlucky like I did, the timing chain was completely snapped in half. You should be able to watch through the oil fill cap and make sure that when cranking the cam shafts are moving.

If its not something obvious like that then its back to the basics like mkov said. Might be a bad coil or bad signal from the DME to coil, might be some obscure sensor, might be a bad fuel pump (if the sketchy shop replaced his hpfp with a cheapy ebay one to scam him it could've died after 6 months). Hopefully the code reader helps you track it down

Good luck

Old 03-02-2024, 02:49 PM
yyj3869
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AidanB
Do you have a bmw code reader? I bought a mini from auction that would crank but not start. It was throwing codes about not being able to adjust the vanos solenoids IIRC. You can try swapping the intake and exhaust vanos sensors (on the top of the valve cover, held down with a single bolt). Or, if you get unlucky like I did, the timing chain was completely snapped in half. You should be able to watch through the oil fill cap and make sure that when cranking the cam shafts are moving.

If its not something obvious like that then its back to the basics like mkov said. Might be a bad coil or bad signal from the DME to coil, might be some obscure sensor, might be a bad fuel pump (if the sketchy shop replaced his hpfp with a cheapy ebay one to scam him it could've died after 6 months). Hopefully the code reader helps you track it down

Good luck
I've checked with the bluetooth obd scanner and it didn't have any codes as below. I picked the wrong day to check the car up since it's raining hard... I opened oil cap and took a picture of inside and see and noticed that there were oil sludge so bad.
I also tried to start few times and it was same as video but while I was checking under the hood and tried starting again but the car didn't even crank..

Old 03-02-2024, 05:58 PM
AidanB
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That seems strange that it suddenly stopped cranking, maybe you need to look into some blown fuses or a leaky fuse block? Its possible that the fuel pump relay got corroded and now maybe the starter relay went too? You should probably check the battery condition first though, see if it'll crank again with jumpers or a better battery. Also if that's a generic OBD2 code reader it might not pick up everything, do you know for sure it reads the BMW specific codes too?

Old 03-03-2024, 08:10 PM
yyj3869
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AidanB
That seems strange that it suddenly stopped cranking, maybe you need to look into some blown fuses or a leaky fuse block? Its possible that the fuel pump relay got corroded and now maybe the starter relay went too? You should probably check the battery condition first though, see if it'll crank again with jumpers or a better battery. Also if that's a generic OBD2 code reader it might not pick up everything, do you know for sure it reads the BMW specific codes too?
Yes when I went to check the car, I pulled out fuel pump fuse (F46) from passenger side fuse box and checked that fuse was fine so I plugged it back but I think I should have disconnected battery before I pulled out fuse and today the seller told me that fuse was blown (not sure about that) and he took the battery at autozone and charged the battery and installed battery again and it started cranking again fortunately, however it still doesn't start up..