R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R58 Odd , airplane type hum noise ??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 04:48 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 628 Likes on 495 Posts
Odd , airplane type hum noise ??????

So , cars finally running perfectly, finally tuned good and dialed in..
buuuut past few weeks I've noticed a very audible humming/airplane engine sounding hum that corresponds with rpm. It literally sounds like an airplane is following me. It's the only way to describe the noise it soooooounds like it's from lower end. My oil is topped off , I had no metal ect in my last oil change or any prior.
the cars actually running very well though but im scared something SERIOUSLY big is about to go bad...
I will take a video tonight when i take my daughter to rehearsal so you can hear exactly what I'm trying to describe..
any info , tips whst to look for or check. ANYTHING would be a big help..
Lol I removed my aftermarket engine mount because of c.n.v but now its got this annoying, scary noise instead..
HELP !

Old 07-17-2024, 05:00 AM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
In reliability engineering, noise and heat are the two signs that a catastrophic failure is imminent. CNV?

Can you determine which corner of the car the noise is coming from? Take a drive with a friend, and see if the two of you can determine a direction.

Next, rotate the tires; does the noise move with the tires? Yes = tire problem; no could mean you have a wheel bearing going out.

In my experience with MINIs, wheel bearings start getting noisy between 100 and 125K miles.

The following users liked this post:
Raymo2u (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 08:19 AM
Raymo2u
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If this is happening while moving but not at idle - I would check the Wheel Bearings. Lift each side off the ground and try to make the wheel at each corner wobble side to side by grabbing the top and bottom of the wheel and try to rock it towards and away from the car. If there is any movement, then that is your problem. Sometimes you can even spin the wheel while the car is lifted and hear noise if its gotten that bad.

Old 07-17-2024, 11:09 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,840 Likes on 1,467 Posts
Are you 100% sure its not the turbo induction noises? Since you have a big turbo and that fancy intake pointing at you, I would expect all sorts of noises to be coming at you.

Old 07-17-2024, 05:07 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Vanski (07-19-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 05:08 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Are you 100% sure its not the turbo induction noises? Since you have a big turbo and that fancy intake pointing at you, I would expect all sorts of noises to be coming at you.
unfortunately no it's not. Was there before I put in on , started a few days prior quietly until it got as loud as it is now.

Old 07-17-2024, 05:10 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Raymo2u
If this is happening while moving but not at idle - I would check the Wheel Bearings. Lift each side off the ground and try to make the wheel at each corner wobble side to side by grabbing the top and bottom of the wheel and try to rock it towards and away from the car. If there is any movement, then that is your problem. Sometimes you can even spin the wheel while the car is lifted and hear noise if its gotten that bad.
I just 2c checked everything when I put on my coilovers a few weeks ago befor this noise started and other than ny control arm bushings everything was good but doesn't mean it still is. I will 2x check that tomorrow.

Old 07-17-2024, 05:12 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mkov608
In reliability engineering, noise and heat are the two signs that a catastrophic failure is imminent. CNV?

Can you determine which corner of the car the noise is coming from? Take a drive with a friend, and see if the two of you can determine a direction.

Next, rotate the tires; does the noise move with the tires? Yes = tire problem; no could mean you have a wheel bearing going out.

In my experience with MINIs, wheel bearings start getting noisy between 100 and 125K miles.
I am at 114k so hope to mr john cooper they're the issue.
but I have no other issues what so ever ,well i got bad control arm bushings yet but om going to give it a good looking underneath tomorrow again.

Old 07-18-2024, 12:59 AM
Raymo2u
1st Gear
I watched your video and Im positive its wheel bearings. They arent hard to replace...just did mine a month or 2 ago. Coilovers would enhance the noise since there would be less dampening of vibration.

Old 07-19-2024, 02:01 AM
Vanski
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
@Raymo2u ,

If it were the wheel bearings, wouldn’t make a howling grinding noise instead of a humming noise?

Old 07-19-2024, 08:27 AM
Raymo2u
1st Gear
Not in all cases, I work as a mechanic and that hum is typical of bad bearings. In cases where the ball bearings are pitted or rusted out then you would get crunchy/grinding noises. If there is wear over time that creates a slight gap between the bearings and the housing for them - this is what creates the hum when driving but no real noises when crawling around.

Vanski (07-20-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 05:33 AM
KeyPlayaJim
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
This happened to my R56S a couple years ago. It sounded like a single-engine plane was following me all the time -- strangest thing! It turned out to be a front wheel bearing.

Vanski (07-23-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 07:15 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
I'm leaning towards wheel bearings also..
but i jacked up and inspected it under there and theres no obvious signs of whats the cause buuuuut i do feel like my wheel could spin with less resistance so its gotttttttta be work wheel bearings/hubs.
I adjusted my camber and front suspension some and then I sprayed the hubs with penetrating oil and the sound I'd much much quieter now but it's Definitely still there... I guess I will be replacing the hubs too then when I do my control arm bushings and balljoints ect..
I will add it to the laundry list of stuff I need to get done on it.

Raymo2u (07-22-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 06:18 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Ok do its DEFINITELY not a wheelbearing/hub...
I can hear the hum immediately upon startup and it gets louder with rpm , i listened all around my engine and I'm 95% sure I hear and can feel abnormal vibration and sound coming from my oilpan/lower engine area..
soooooooo I've been reading and researching all i can in hopes to find this issue aaaaaand what I THINK night be the cause MIGHT BE my OILPUMP !
DO YOU think or believe it could be ? Supposedly worn/wearing oilpump CAN exhibit a hum/extra vibrations as their internal gears wear or if the chain has stretched ( though i dont hear any rattling or anything)...
ideas or thoughts guys and gals ????? I'm open to suggestions.....HELP befor something terminally fails and my engine goes kablewy.

Old 08-13-2024, 07:33 AM
Maybe, maybe not
4th Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Did you rule out the accessory belt and accompanying components (friction wheel, tensioner, alternator, water pump, compressor)?
For example, if you remove the belt, does the noise go away?

Raymo2u (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 09:24 AM
Raymo2u
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Maybe, maybe not
Did you rule out the accessory belt and accompanying components (friction wheel, tensioner, alternator, water pump, compressor)?
For example, if you remove the belt, does the noise go away?
Adam should remove the belt and spin each accessory and tensioning wheel/friction wheel and feel for any undue resistance or "crunchy" feeling. The tensioner bearing might be going and "catching" here and there - could be the AC compressor and its clutch assembly doi8ng the same.
If the belt is off and it still makes the sound (with the friction wheel floating away from crank pulley!), then its possibly its the oil pump. If it were the oil pump I believe your readings would also show some difference than once that functions properly as any reduction in oil pressure increases the chance of metal on metal contact throughout the engine.

From RockC in a different thread: "Oil pump whine is not likely. The pump gears operated submerged/surrounded by oil. This oil tends to support the gears and they do not make contact with even the oil pump housing. The gear teeth are involute which means they roll against each other they do not wipe/rub against each other.
I'd be very surprised if what you are hearing is really/truly oil pump whine. However, any pump suspected of making noise needs to be removed and checked for wear/signs of trouble. And if in doubt replaced. While the pump is rather expensive if it fails you'll be buying a new pump along with a new engine. You think the pump is expensive...
But before you tear into the engine think you need a higher confidence diagnosis of where the noise is coming from. Far and away engine noise "engine whine" is from the accessory drive system. Most often a water pump proves to be the source of the noise. But it can be an idler roller bearing, a tensioner roller bearing.
I would recommend you obtain a mechanic's stethoscope and use it to pinpoint the source of the noise, or at least determine it is or is *not* coming from the area of the oil pump."

Old 08-13-2024, 10:16 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,840 Likes on 1,467 Posts
You are running a filled engine mount, correct? Those will transmit noises into the cabin. My passenger side mount has a urethane insert, and I get a TON of timing gear noises coming into the cabin.

Old 08-13-2024, 10:38 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
You are running a filled engine mount, correct? Those will transmit noises into the cabin. My passenger side mount has a urethane insert, and I get a TON of timing gear noises coming into the cabin.
happened awhile after my new mounts were installed, not immediately after...
I also put the stock mounts back on because I hated the cnv so much...

Old 08-13-2024, 10:46 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Raymo2u
Adam should remove the belt and spin each accessory and tensioning wheel/friction wheel and feel for any undue resistance or "crunchy" feeling. The tensioner bearing might be going and "catching" here and there - could be the AC compressor and its clutch assembly doi8ng the same.
If the belt is off and it still makes the sound (with the friction wheel floating away from crank pulley!), then its possibly its the oil pump. If it were the oil pump I believe your readings would also show some difference than once that functions properly as any reduction in oil pressure increases the chance of metal on metal contact throughout the engine.

From RockC in a different thread: "Oil pump whine is not likely. The pump gears operated submerged/surrounded by oil. This oil tends to support the gears and they do not make contact with even the oil pump housing. The gear teeth are involute which means they roll against each other they do not wipe/rub against each other.
I'd be very surprised if what you are hearing is really/truly oil pump whine. However, any pump suspected of making noise needs to be removed and checked for wear/signs of trouble. And if in doubt replaced. While the pump is rather expensive if it fails you'll be buying a new pump along with a new engine. You think the pump is expensive...
But before you tear into the engine think you need a higher confidence diagnosis of where the noise is coming from. Far and away engine noise "engine whine" is from the accessory drive system. Most often a water pump proves to be the source of the noise. But it can be an idler roller bearing, a tensioner roller bearing.
I would recommend you obtain a mechanic's stethoscope and use it to pinpoint the source of the noise, or at least determine it is or is *not* coming from the area of the oil pump."
I did.. I just installed new waterpump and completely removed the serpentine belt and ran the engine and the noise was still present.
my crank is also in perfect condition and not 1x cracking rubber or sign or any corrosions like rust..
I just had my oil dropped when I did a new oilpan and there was absolutely no particles one bit , surprisingly one of the cleanest oul changes i seen in a 100k mile engine..usually I see sooooooome from normal wear but there was NONE.
Unfortunately I haven't installed my oil pressure gauge yet as I just did my oil cooler but I'd think if the oilpump wasn't pumping well I'd have excess oil temps from lack of circulation but my pil temp on a 85' degree day and after 3.5hr strait of driving , it was 260' , so if I'm correct, that'd a good oil temp..dang near perfect oil temp I'd think..
and just because the pump gears doesn't whine doesn't mean it's internal bearing or shaft isnt humming from wear.
I ordered a new pump since it was on sale and i had another 25$ ebsy gift card to use so atleast it will give me a piece of mind...

Old 08-18-2024, 12:25 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear