R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R58 Oilpump chain has slack !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 12:22 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 628 Likes on 495 Posts
Oilpump chain has slack !!!!

Long story short, I've been chasing down an engine home noise and I went to change my oil pump.And when I removed the oil pump cover there was broken timing guide pieces behind it and my oil pump chain is slack. Does the oil pump have an independent timing system?Or am I going to have to have my entire timing replaced again. I just had the time being done.Maybe four months 10k miles tops...
does the oilpump timing chain spose to be slacked like this when eng is off with no oil pressure? I also drained the oil.
I wondeIing if the pieces i found are from the okd guides that broke when they were renoved and we never did find the pieces so im praying the slack is normal with no oil pressure and praying those are old pieces. They definitely are a different color than the replacement guides and I don't see or feel any issues with the timing chain or guides...
help !! educate this fool !

Old 08-18-2024, 12:24 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Old 08-19-2024, 01:40 AM
Vanski
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
@MiniManAdam ,

The oil pump does NOT require any timing therefore you’re good to go!

Old 08-19-2024, 05:18 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,463 Posts
My guess is the timing chain guide parts that were inside the oil pump cover were the source of your noises. It should be common practice to drop the oil pan when doing the timing chain to make sure there are no guide pieces in there, but not many will remove the oil pump drive covert o check in there.

Those oil pump drive chains are slack. There is no timing required, so as long as the pump is being driven, should be good to go.

Old 08-19-2024, 05:28 AM
Maybe, maybe not
4th Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
My guess is the timing chain guide parts that were inside the oil pump cover were the source of your noises...Those oil pump drive chains are slack.

Old 08-19-2024, 06:20 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Seriously??? This might be good luck for me for once ????
I read too the chain should be slacked and the plastic pieces definitely had rub marks so maybe the chain is ok ??? I will still definitely replace the pump, the screen has decent amount of plastic chunks in it and with the chain continually rubbing ,I'm sure that pump ingested some or got stressed when I went low oil and put in racing oil to get home..lol whoops.
I bought a new crankshaft pulley , seal , bolts and I also got a new cog and chain and bolt for the oilpump too. I also have a new pump..lol so hopefully I have all I will need to get this fixed.. not to mention all the new seals too..
only way I'm not replacing the chain is if I have to remove the timing cover ,I really don't wanna do that..
Anything im overlooking or forgetting to check or replace ???
I'd sure like to get rid of that humming noise now that I finally got rid of the clunking ( suspension)..

Old 08-19-2024, 06:30 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Next question....
how important is it to have the black plastic cover on the oilpump ???? Mine broke wgen removed and the extra one i have fits loose and i cant imagine it staying in place...
is it OK to run it without the cover ????

Old 08-19-2024, 07:46 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
You will have to remove the timing chain to get the oil pump chain off - it sits behind the timing chain on the crank. So, I hope you have a set of timing tools... Also, I hope you can get the pulley off the oil pump. I've heard those do NOT want to come loose, and there isn't a good way of keeping the oil pump from spinning when trying to loosen it.

Old 08-19-2024, 11:17 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
You will have to remove the timing chain to get the oil pump chain off - it sits behind the timing chain on the crank. So, I hope you have a set of timing tools... Also, I hope you can get the pulley off the oil pump. I've heard those do NOT want to come loose, and there isn't a good way of keeping the oil pump from spinning when trying to loosen it.
my new pump didn't come with one on and the new chain kit came with one so i will put them on then and i guess just pray the chain isnt stretched. Its actually very very uncommon for a chain to stretch too more than a mm or 2. Alot of times a stretched chain is actually just worn timing guides causing the slack..
I think I seen a mod for these oilpumps people do in their puegots ( same engine) and it puts a little tensioner on the pump chain and it bolts to the pump..
I will try amd find that again because maybe that's whst I need to do because I unfortunately gave my timing tool to the dude who did my timing for me..

Old 08-19-2024, 01:03 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
When I install the new pump do I need to make a gasket or use rtv on this mating surface ???

Old 08-19-2024, 01:07 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
The factory instructions make no mention of any sealant at that interface, only mention making sure they are clean. I might feel better with a "faint whisper" of sealant on that surface.

Old 08-20-2024, 11:17 AM
Northern
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Usually no sealant pump to block. Agree it feels weird though.

I have no idea how slack the chain is supposed to be on these engines but that looks crazy. Is there some sort of tensioner that only uses oil pressure? You'd think if it's that loose, it wouldn't be far from skipping a tooth at the crank end?

Old 08-21-2024, 02:24 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
New oilpump and cog are in ,I didn't do the chain because I didn't wanna remove my timing components.
lol it took hella force to get that cog bolt out the pump , I was hoping once I unbolted the pump I'd have been able to get it out the chain but that wasn't possible.
So I grabbed my milwaukee impact and that didn't work so i grabbed my bamf impact and it cane off immediately.
I did remove my vvalvcover and check the chain n guides and all looked fine ,I also inspected them after I removed the crankshaft pulley seal..
so if this doesn't cure my humming ATLEAST I got all the debris our from behind the pump cover AND the screen was beginning to pick up pieces as they begun to break off..i just inspectee the screen 2x weeks ago and still didnt find these guide pieces BUT when i had my timing done few months back , the guy who did it did say he didnt find the old broken guide pieces because i didn't have a pan seal so I looked once I got the car back and did more maintenance lolol and I just now FINALLY found them..