R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Other than aesthetics... 07'

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 09:09 AM
JJ!
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other than aesthetics... 07'

Other than the aesthetics differences occuring on the new model, does anyone know of any motor mods or differences? How about tranny and other mechanics?

It would appear the newer MCS models are becoming a little more reliable. I would hate to see them change the Mini mechanics producing an end result that = more lemons. Anyone have any info. on this?

JJ

Old 09-13-2005, 09:11 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Old 09-13-2005, 09:26 AM
JJ!
Neutral
I was afraid of that. Although the BMW/Pseugo collaboration sounds awesome, I know there will be problems from the start. Based on the discription provided, it sounds like the Mini will be more "mechanically inclined". I like the idea of a more powerful fuel efficient powerhouse, but this venture puts me in the 08-09' market. Maybe I should get an 06' and then trade in 09'

Thanks for the link!

JJ

Old 09-13-2005, 10:10 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's been a persistent rumor (which I am as guilty as anyone of perpetuating) that the next generation car will lose the multi-link rear suspension.

It also seems safe to bet that the stock suspension will be a bit softer.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
JJ!
Neutral
I don't have a MINI currently, so could you tell me what that really means on a practical level in terms of performance. I've never been behind the wheel of a mini so a multi-link- stiff suspension in comparrison to a softer suspension w/o a multi-link means little to me at this point. Does this simply mean you can't drive into corners as hard or something else?

JJ

Old 09-13-2005, 12:39 PM
LAMINI
Banned
honda

did that with their civics......multilink to>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>whatever its called!

Old 09-14-2005, 05:40 PM
HVYWGHT
1st Gear
The mulit-link rear suspension is an arangement that allows better tire placement on the road while turning, keeping the rear end more responsive and planted. The current MINI uses a modified (i.e. compact) version of the four link Z axle of last generation BMWs. It is a bit complex to build and extremely unusal to see in a car of the MINI's size and price range, but is a huge plus for performance and handling.

I haven't heard anything to confirm a change from the current setup to something more archaic and I truly could not imagine BMW reverting to a less competant suspesion setup- that didn't work for the first gen 318ti or the Z3 so hopefully they learned their lesson. The one caveat about the suspension is whether or not they decided to add an AWD model in the life cycle of the next gen MINI which may require suspension changes. Altought Getrag did it without too much trouble on the current MINI when they built their AWD version for testing.

Assuming MINI/BMW reads owner's lounges and webforums, they should know that we want our multilink rear. I believe they listened when we shouted out loud about keeping the one-piece bonnet.

I think the new engines will blow the current Tritec away. I do like the solid performance of the current engine, but it could use some higher end refinement and some more modern features which the new Prince engines will have. Additionally, BMW designed these engines and they are quite good at that. Peugot is along for tooling and volume plus the benefit of BMW tech for their own cars. BMW will also be building its own versions for the MINI at its own Hams Hall plant in England. So they'll have full control.

That said, I too would probably wait one model year to let the small niggles get solved. The MINI has been a work in refinement every month that it's been in production and I trust that there will be far fewer first model year problems this time around.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:42 PM
HVYWGHT
1st Gear
For the Civic, they went from the double wishbone front to a less complex macpherson strut set-up which made Civic lovers go crazy. It did affect the Civic's handling a bit, but just look at what BMW and MINI do with the same basic set-up for their front suspensions...

Old 09-14-2005, 08:44 PM
Rollin
3rd Gear

Any word how the Princes are doing in the French cars? If I remember right they were to be used in them the first year of production, the next gen Mini the second. I know that is not the BMW made in England version of the engine, but might be an indication.

I too would love to know about if the rear suspension stays or not.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:56 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some of rationale behind possibly taking out the ML rear suspension was that it takes up too much interior space in such a small car, and that something else would result in more usable space in the redesign. pers I dont care about space; keep the ML! Jimbo

Old 09-15-2005, 06:21 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HVYWGHT
I haven't heard anything to confirm a change from the current setup to something more archaic and I truly could not imagine BMW reverting to a less competant suspesion setup- that didn't work for the first gen 318ti
Have to disagree.....it sure didn't help with sales but I tracked a 318ti for 8 years and the car handled better than the two E46 BMWs I've owned since. A bit less forgiving, yes, but also a lot more responsive and less numb.

And, the E30M3 did alright with the same basic design, too.....:smile:

Gary
05 MC

Old 09-20-2005, 04:22 PM
BabyHueyVFR
1st Gear
On the Honda point, having driven a Integra and then a RSX, Honda really should have left well enough alone.

My friend with the RSX, looks over at my under powered MINI with lust when every there is a bump in the road. That thing rides like crap.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:33 PM
anteken
4th Gear
That's usually the problem when a new version of a model comes out and the price point hasn't moved, ie they want to keep the same price. It's easier to "simplify" things that are unseen and go for the lowest common denominator....that's how GM has been laid low over the years...thinking that the comsumer is an idiot. I hope this doesn't happen with the new MINI. Of course, it didn't stop BMW from letting Bangle rip the BMW lineup to pieces, both exterior and interior...too much, just too much.

We'll see, we'll see....but in the meantime I'm glad I have an 06....if I'm wrong I can change in a few years