R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Guess What I Saw Today!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 05:49 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Guess What I Saw Today!!

There testing the 07's here this week So far I've seen three of them around town. On the way home I stoped and talked to one of the testers. He said they were testing out the new engines. (BMW an Pegeot (sp) joint venture)Normal standard cooper and the new turbo. The front was alittle more bull nosed than current, but not bad looking at all. These were still in the development stages so there was alot of little things that were not quite finished. ie headlight not quite a finished stages yet. They will no longer be attached to the hood (but look like they are) due to "coming out of alignment when closing the hood". The S will still have the hood scoop, and only a few changes on the interior. The speedo looked alittle bigger, and more computer stuff going on on the tach. No passenger seat, just a large computer with lots of wires (oh wait this was a test car). Wouldn't let me look at the engines or take any pictures. But all in all they look pretty cool. I wouldn't have second thoughts about buying one when they are out in a few years

Nik

Old 09-14-2005, 05:59 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting ... elsewhere I have read that the headlights *are* staying in the hood, and that there *won't* be a hood scoop ...

Old 09-14-2005, 06:13 PM
HVYWGHT
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I thought too, but after looking at the pics of the concept Traveller, it looks like the bonnet will lift up and have holes leaving the headlights in place. Although the concept does have the old school open forward bonnet like all of the 80's Bimmers...

It'll be nice to have the hood scoop stay as I like that feature on the current MCS.

Can't wait to see which rumors come true and which ones go away. Sounds like the Cooper will not have the low pressure turbo but instead the standard engine.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:23 PM
TrippleBeem
3rd Gear
I had originally heard the hood scoop was OUT for 07, but I recently read that it will be IN.... hmm...

I have to be honest, hearing that the hood scoop was not making it into the new Gen was one of the main reasons that i decided to get an 06. Not the only reason though, it is mostly becasue I refuse to buy a first year of a new generation, and that my mechanic (who drives a Neon SRT-4) said that the W11 (i belive that is the name) is a really good and reliable motor. I've always prefered turbo cars due to the fact that I've spent alot of time around WRX's and 1.8t Audi's and VW's, so i was thinking about holding out till next year. I really love the sound of a BOV....

That all changed though, I LOVE the current body and I can't risk missing out if i dont like the new Mini. PLUS, i could always wait for the rumored AWD cooper, I heard some time around 09, and then I could have 2 Mini's......

Ryan

Old 09-14-2005, 09:38 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Thanks for the report! Did the front end look more like this...

...or more like this?

Old 09-14-2005, 09:50 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl
More like this. Actually the standard cooper was just like that. And the S had the same shape, but had the scoop in it. I will try to get a shot tomorrow if I see them around.

It didn't look (at least on these) like hey had the blinker/ fog lights quite figured out yet. Also they were running hood pins instead of a latch. They guy said the main change to the front (as we all know) was due to the pedestrian safty laws in europe and the UK. The new engine actually fit pretty well in the 02-06 set-up.

Nik

Old 09-14-2005, 11:09 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Awesome, that's great to hear! :smile: That concept car with the blimpy front end really threw some of us for a loop.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:18 AM
jazmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HVYWGHT
Can't wait to see which rumors come true and which ones go away. Sounds like the Cooper will not have the low pressure turbo but instead the standard engine.
It will be interesting to see about the low boost turbo for the Cooper. xsmini said they did not get to see the engine, so hopefully it has the turbo. :smile:

Old 09-15-2005, 05:35 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jazmini
hopefully it has the turbo. :smile:
I disagree; I very much hope that it doesn't. There are plenty of MINI owners for whom fuel economy is paramount in a car purchase, and if the Cooper went turbo across the board, a lot of buyers would be turned away. Keep the power to the S market, where fuel economy is a secondary concern, and improve on the Cooper's efficiency.:smile:

Old 09-15-2005, 05:45 AM
nodabs
1st Gear
I disagree; I very much hope that it doesn't. There are plenty of MINI owners for whom fuel economy is paramount in a car purchase, and if the Cooper went turbo across the board, a lot of buyers would be turned away. Keep the power to the S market, where fuel economy is a secondary concern, and improve on the Cooper's efficiency.:smile:
I would think that a low boost turbo could actually help improve fuel efficiency. Allowing them to tune the engine to run optimally with less fuel consumption as the turbo would help provide extra hp without an expenditure of much more fuel.

This is just me making an assumption, i could be wrong.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:07 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
No, I think a turbo is going to take more fuel anytime it is engaged
because with the additional air you also have to have additional fuel.
What the turbo does get you is the ability to keep your economy up
by driving less aggressively and not engaging the turbo. But....when
you need/want the extra power, it is available by just pushing your
foot a little further into the go pedal. :smile: That is an advantage of the
turbocharger versus a supercharger, which is engaged all of the time
(unless you have Mad Max's car).

Old 09-15-2005, 06:18 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GBMINI
Interesting ... elsewhere I have read that the headlights *are* staying in the hood, and that there *won't* be a hood scoop ...
There definitely will be a hood scoop on the MCS. In fact the MCS will generally get a little more sporty looking with the introduction of the R56.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/03/..._mini_revealed

Old 09-15-2005, 07:03 AM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
I have to agree with Chris..and personally, although I have an MCS now, if they came out with the rumoured 140hp naturally aspirated Cooper, there would be a good chance that would be my next MINI.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:34 AM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Thanks for posting this.

This put all of my fears to rest.....I can't wait for fall '06.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:41 AM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
that makes two of us:smile:

Originally Posted by KRGMini05
Thanks for posting this.

This put all of my fears to rest.....I can't wait for fall '06.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:09 AM
banjoez
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RenaultF1
I have to agree with Chris..and personally, although I have an MCS now, if they came out with the rumoured 140hp naturally aspirated Cooper, there would be a good chance that would be my next MINI.
Unless I have misread all the pre-release information, the 140hp version will be a turbo. The naturally aspirated version will remain 115hp with a little more low end torque compared to today's engine. Not sure it would pay to wait for the new one when the current non-S engine's output is about the same and is a tried and true design if that is what you are after. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:18 AM
asaulo1
5th Gear
Don't know about you guys but I'm happy I got my '05 MCS already.... especially the wagon version... yuck....

Old 09-15-2005, 12:56 PM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by banjoez
Unless I have misread all the pre-release information, the 140hp version will be a turbo. The naturally aspirated version will remain 115hp with a little more low end torque compared to today's engine. Not sure it would pay to wait for the new one when the current non-S engine's output is about the same and is a tried and true design if that is what you are after. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
This is the link to the rumoured 140hp naturally aspirated Cooper...

140hp naturally aspirated Cooper

Old 09-15-2005, 08:45 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Real story. Me to a colleague and fellow MINI owner, just this morning:

"The bad news is that you have to go to that meeting in Bishop next week, and you'll have to stay for both days [not normally a burden, but this time the meeting gets in the way of his personal plans]...

The good news is that you just might just spot one of the '07 prototypes that MINI is testing up there!"

Thanks for posting, Nik!

Old 09-15-2005, 09:26 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Don't know if they will still be here when he is here. But they are staying at the Best Western on the north end of town. Probably close to a dozen of them. Got a couple of pictures, but not sure I should post them , or if they really show anything. Havent had a chance to check them out. Maybe tomorrow....

Nik

Old 09-15-2005, 09:33 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
I'm excited about the new model having potentially better performance and handling--including better fuel economy which was supposed to one of the advantages of the new engine. I am concerned it will be less quirky and more mature looking but perhaps that could be remedied through judicious color choice and aftermarket doodads. Maybe BMW can make a 007 deal for the 07 model. Could James Bond drive a MINI?

Old 09-15-2005, 09:40 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
I guess it's not too likely, but we can hope that they'll still be there.

Bishop would be a wonderful place to test MINIs. Gentle hills, steep climbs, straight stretches, lots of twisties, and wonderful vistas everywhere you look....everything you could want for great motoring. If you're anywhere near Nevada or California, a trip down 395 to Bishop in your MINI is well worth the gas! The Creekside (the Best Western at the North end of town) is a great place to stay, unless you're into camping. There are lots of places to camp within a stone's throw of town.

Hijack over .

Old 09-16-2005, 05:42 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I'll tell you what - I LOVE my '05, have NO majro complaints about it whatsoever...but the aspects of the new powerplant and potential there are making my mouth water. I have ALWAYS kept my cars until they are dead or dying on the side of the road - but if this '07 pans out as I think it might...I may have to trade in very early.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:39 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
Originally Posted by xsmini
Don't know if they will still be here when he is here. But they are staying at the Best Western on the north end of town. Probably close to a dozen of them. Got a couple of pictures, but not sure I should post them , or if they really show anything. Havent had a chance to check them out. Maybe tomorrow....

Nik
Nik, if you don't post those pictures I think you should be banned for life.

j/k :smile:

No i'm not, post those pics!!!

Old 09-16-2005, 06:51 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LeeL
Nik, if you don't post those pictures I think you should be banned for life.
I too will seize my torch and pitchfork and join the unruly peasant mob ready to run xsmini out of town if he doesn't post the photos! :smile:

Quick Reply: R56 Guess What I Saw Today!!