R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2007 MCS with Turbo prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:11 AM
blacknblue
Photographer / Beer Dude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beckham23
however, mini cooper S w/ turbo just sounds too great to pass...
Would it still be called an "S" if it's a turbo?
Perhaps a MINI Cooper T.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:16 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknblue
Would it still be called an "S" if it's a turbo?
Perhaps a MINI Cooper T.
Yes, it will still be called the Cooper S. The S doesn't stand for supercharged (it actually doesn't stand for anything other than "S").

Old 02-23-2006, 03:45 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DiD
Yes, it will still be called the Cooper S. The S doesn't stand for supercharged (it actually doesn't stand for anything other than "S").
Isn't S for "sport"?

Old 02-24-2006, 01:46 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sport, special...take your pick...

Old 03-02-2006, 12:15 PM
FredBRG
1st Gear
I thought 'S' was for spicy

Old 03-30-2006, 04:04 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Residual vs. Resale..

Having the '07 around the corner is messing with my head! :impatient

I just couldn't wait until next year for an unproven, unpolished new car that I haven't seen or driven, so instead I bought my dream '06 car and it will arrive shortly.

In the meantime, I know that I will almost certainly want an "07" (probably '08 or '09) So I'm trying to figure out what to do with regards to financing my '06.

If there wasn't a new model around the corner, this wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't be tempted to buy a new turbo engine (oops, I said the "T" word! ), and I wouldn't be worried about my '06 losing resale value like crazy.

Here's what worries me: Let's face it, MINIs are artificially price inflated and maintain rediculously high resale value due to high demand and limited production. Fine. I'm happy with that.

BUT... there's a new model coming out - potentially (I say "potentially") better, more reliable, faster, more fuel efficient, and looks the same or better. Also, I know that BMW is upgrading facilities to ramp up production so that there will be more '07's (and beyond) built than any other model year previous.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/oronning/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]Will this not kill or severely dampen demand for the older generation model? Yes, many of us here on the forum are in love with the original smaller "bulldog" grill face, the "beefier" iron block engine, the whine of a supercharger, etc, etc, but I doubt the general public will notice any of that. They'll just see "goes faster, has more features, gets better gas mileage, and costs about the same"

In the world of leasing vs. buying a MINI, it seems obvious to buy instead of lease due to this high resale value and uniqueness of the car. The residual value on the lease is always lower than the resale.
But with the new model coming out, the tables may turn. Could it be possible to roll lease payments into an '08 or '09 instead of buying and selling an '06 would cost less in the long run? I don't know

These are the things that keep me up at night...

Old 03-30-2006, 04:10 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by o-ron

These are the things that keep me up at night...
Dude ... You think WAY too much

Just buy the car, drive it until the wheels fall off and have fun.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:40 PM
o-ron
5th Gear

btw, i like the new jcw illustration

Old 03-30-2006, 04:42 PM
chows4us
6th Gear

btw, i like the new jcw illustration
Thanks, thats my "real" sig ... I switch out with my moods

Old 03-30-2006, 08:50 PM
bobdobbs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Dude ... You think WAY too much

Just buy the car, drive it until the wheels fall off and have fun.
Werd.

There's no perfect solution, o-ron. You're going to get screwed either way -- new cars are expensive. Flip a coin, have a beer and start thinking about mods for your car while you wait for the Brits to make it for you.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:39 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lhoboy
Name me one French car that any man woman or child in the civilized world has ever dreamed of owning (no, France is not included in that part of the world).
Citroen SM. produced in the 70's in a partnership with Maserati. Trademark Citroen hydraulic suspension. (sticks well, can lift its own wheels sans jack to change tires, refined ride). Headlights that turn with the steering. many features now touted as "revolutionary" in current expensive teutonic iron.

Had one for 3 years in the 80's. Man that was a sweet ride, and it turned heads like the Mini does now.

Also, unless you've driven a 2CV, you can't understand. like the original Beetle, it has a charm that supersedes it's shortcomings.

and now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Old 03-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Steve772
1st Gear
I personally believe that the MCS whine of the supercharger is as distinctive to a MCS as the rumble (blump blump - blump blump) is to a Harley Davidson.

I also believe the next generation JCW will be a better car (someday). The real question or gamble is will the first ones produced be better and more reliable?

We bought a new model year conversion car (not a MINI) (please don't ask) once, a friend and I almost died because of a manufactures defect.

These are just a few reasons we just ordered a 2006 JCW.

Steve772

Old 03-31-2006, 04:05 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
with a new model, inflation, higher average car prices, and a need to eek more profit out of a high demand car, I'm sure BMW will raise the price. Last I spoke with my dealer they said "at least $500" price increase "if not significantly more"

I would guess $1000 price increase. BMW knows they can get away with it, so they probably will.

That said, it's probably good news for any of us who own the MK1 car, as a higher cost for the new one should bolster resale value of the old one.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:47 PM
fjpatriot
Neutral
I bought an 06 too

This is how I looked at it. I wanted a convertible, and wanted a car with lots of goodies. My car cost close to $34K. The new engined convertible is not going to be out til 08 at the earliest, and I figured 2 years from now my same car would by 36-37K. Like others said BMW can get it, which blows my mind, but it is a nice car. In 2 years there are going to be a lot of interesting cars on the road, especially if gas keeps bumping up against $3 a gallon in the US. A lot of hybrids, a lot of smaller cars. I figured I get the car I want at a price that I want now, instead of waiting yet another 2 years, and then wading through all the comparison shopping yet again.

Think of it this way too - if the resale value does plummet, maybe your excise tax, theft rate, or insurance might go down too! Then you have a car you love, getting cheaper by the day

Enjoy your 06, and hopefully I see you on the road in mine!

Old 03-31-2006, 08:25 PM
rjmann
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PrplPplEtr
Originally Posted by lhoboy
Name me one French car that any man woman or child in the civilized world has ever dreamed of owning (no, France is not included in that part of the world).
Citroen SM. produced in the 70's in a partnership with Maserati. Trademark Citroen hydraulic suspension. (sticks well, can lift its own wheels sans jack to change tires, refined ride). Headlights that turn with the steering. many features now touted as "revolutionary" in current expensive teutonic iron.
The SM was an interesting car. But I think we can do better in combatting the notion that french cars are of little interest with a bit more verve. So lets see. How 'bout the Xsara thats won the WRC two years running? Then theres the R5 Turbo. Facel Vega? How about a Talbot Lago? Oh yeah, there is one other marque of minor interest to collectors, only the most valuable cars in the world... Bugatti. If Ralph Lauren wants to dump his Atlantique in my garage, I think I could find room.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:40 PM
mg5904
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rjmann
The SM was an interesting car. But I think we can do better in combatting the notion that french cars are of little interest with a bit more verve. So lets see. How 'bout the Xsara thats won the WRC two years running? Then theres the R5 Turbo. Facel Vega? How about a Talbot Lago? Oh yeah, there is one other marque of minor interest to collectors, only the most valuable cars in the world... Bugatti. If Ralph Lauren wants to dump his Atlantique in my garage, I think I could find room.
Renault seems to have found a bit of success in motorsports as well. Some guy named Fred Alonso seems to be the hotshoe of the moment and drives one of those renaults.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:53 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Here's what worries me: Let's face it, MINIs are artificially price inflated and maintain rediculously high resale value due to high demand and limited production. Fine. I'm happy with that.
MINIs are price-inflated? How so?

We get an awful lot of bang for our MINI bucks! I'd like you to explain what you mean by this. Please.

Of course, people can get a bare-boned MINI and spend about $20K for an awesome little vehicle, or they can load up the options and pay more than $35+K. IMO, it is STILL a good value at that price.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:34 AM
o-ron
5th Gear
over-priced in the sense that you're pretty much stuck paying msrp. As opposed to negotiating a 24k vw down to 20k, for example.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:02 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just because you're paying MSRP doesn't mean the car is price inflated--some manufacturer's have an outrageous MSRP to begin with, which they never or only rarely get. This next model is the first time BMW is expecting to turn a profit on the Mini. I suspect the Mini MSRP priced much closer to it's cost to build then say a Suburban...

Old 04-01-2006, 07:09 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Of course, people can get a bare-boned MINI and spend about $20K for an awesome little vehicle, or they can load up the options and pay more than $35+K. IMO, it is STILL a good value at that price.
Clover, you think so. ...?

I specced out an 06 JCW convert with just the same options as I have now and its about $45K. That is a lot of money for any MINI. You realize that price is beyond a Honda S2000 and is right at the MSRP for an Elise? A few grand more and you can have a base Boxster. Lets see .... JCW MINI .... Porsche ... hmm.

Seriously, MINI prices are getting way out of bounds if you load the car up. At $24K they were a steal (IMO). At $45K, sorry but they are way out of that league ... a stripped C6 Vette is MSRP at that price!

Old 04-05-2006, 10:24 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
yea, im debating, getting an 06 convertible S with Nav and lots of toys for $32k or waiting for the 07 with a tubo

Old 04-06-2006, 08:20 AM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by illegalprelude
yea, im debating, getting an 06 convertible S with Nav and lots of toys for $32k or waiting for the 07 with a tubo
btw, there's won't be an '07 turbo convertible S...

Old 04-06-2006, 04:11 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by illegalprelude
Where can you get an 07 with a tubo?

Is that like a Tuba?

Old 04-06-2006, 08:09 PM
MiniTX
2nd Gear
After my ordered my 2006 MCS last week, I had a momentary pause of a couple days later about the prospect of a new revised model with a new engine.

While the overall new car is not so much of a concern, the complete shift in engine is. Also, the supply of aftermarket parts is going to take awhile to come together.

As far as price, I had (guess I have it back since I sold it to my wife before we got married) a BMW 330. BMW put some teeth into their pricing policies because the discounting did not benefit anyone as consumer pitted dealer against dealer to save a few bucks. I know consumers think they should get a deal, but reality is if the sale price floats between 90% and 100% of MSRP, the resale value suffers because the effective street price is now 90% of retail and if you pay more then that, you loose when you go to sell it..

As least with the way Mini's are priced, what I pay, is what you pay, what everyone pays,,, we are all equal. On top of that, the buying experience is alot more enjoyable instead of the sales person, sales manager, consumer shell game going on so common with almost every other car purchase.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:33 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniTX
On top of that, the buying experience is alot more enjoyable instead of the sales person, sales manager, consumer shell game going on so common with almost every other car purchase.
I gotta agree with that. No creepy sleazy salesman trying to get me into a sale with a car I don't want and options I don't need. Working with my local MINI dealer was nothing but great.

Quick Reply: R56 2007 MCS with Turbo prices