R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Are they really going to do that...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:04 PM
SlverMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are they really going to do that...

The new MINI has many different things about it that are both good and bad depending on who you talk to. Frankly, I dont mind the Turbo motor, in fact I am looking forward to it. I think I will be able to look past the extra over-hang of the front bumper, but the thing that bothers me most about the new MINI is that they will not have wrap around glass. In my opinion one of the best looking things about the current MINI'S is when the windows are tinted and it blends so well because of the wrap around glass. I just thought I would vent about this because I am really bummed! Anyways, take care and ahve a good one!!!

Old 02-15-2006, 08:34 AM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Huh? As far I can see, the shape/style of the glass is unchanged. The pillars were always black before, and they're still black.

No worries

Old 02-15-2006, 04:58 PM
SlverMini
1st Gear
really...

Oh, I could have sworn I read something on Motoring File that said that they were doing away with the wrap around glass. They even had a spy picture to back it up !!

Old 02-15-2006, 10:12 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SlverMini
Oh, I could have sworn I read something on Motoring File that said that they were doing away with the wrap around glass. They even had a spy picture to back it up !!
Nah...the pic is just decieving. The window design is unchanged for '07.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:44 PM
06_SuprCooper
2nd Gear
looks like they took the MINI, and striped alot of things away that MADE it a MINI. in my opinion seems like they're trying to get away from being unique...

Old 03-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Porco Rosso
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 06_SuprCooper
looks like they took the MINI, and striped alot of things away that MADE it a MINI. in my opinion seems like they're trying to get away from being unique...
While I prefer the current body style, I think this assessment is a bit harsh. It looks like they're trying to limit the changes to things that are necessary to meet the Euro crash standards and/or accomodate the new engine.

There are still plenty of things that are uniquely MINI: the wheels pushed to the corners, the clamshell bonnet, the charming round headlights, the "level-headed" roof profile, etc.

They're taking away a few things I'll miss (especially the subtle undulation of the current bonnet design), but on the whole they've kept the things that are most MINI about the MINI. It's still small, powerful, and built to handle like a go-kart, and the styling is very much in tune with the prior model years.

If it just looked like a Golf, then I'd be afraid they were getting away from being unique, but they're only taking a slight evolutionary step.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:12 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Haha...you can barely see the differences. Stop panicking.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Flip
2nd Gear
I would really like to know the new dimensions of the 07 (new) model.
I know its supposed to be longer, wider, higher. But hardly noticable to the untrained eye.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:56 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flip
I know its supposed to be longer, wider, higher. But hardly noticable to the untrained eye.
Not many untrained eyes around here, though.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:15 PM
FLORA BLUE
6th Gear
...okay, you got me. I had to go out and take a look at Ducky, '06 MC. I am happy to say, the glass on Ducky is the same as Ms. Kitty, an '04 MC. Whew! Time to relax...Mick

Old 03-08-2006, 01:11 PM
06_SuprCooper
2nd Gear
oh well, you are entitled to your opinion, thats fine. i'll be sticking with my 06 MCS.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Porco Rosso
2nd Gear
oh well, you are entitled to your opinion, thats fine. i'll be sticking with my 06 MCS.
I was never suggesting that you shouldn't stick with our '06. I'll be sticking with mine for quite a while, too, but that's not the point I was getting at. I'm just curious about your feeling that the new revision of the MINI is no longer "MINI" and no longer "unique". I'd be interested to know which changes bother you the most, and what it is about them that you think harms the identity and uniqueness of the vehicle. What is it that makes the MINI a MINI, for you?

Old 03-08-2006, 01:56 PM
FLORA BLUE
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Porco Rosso
... the MINI is no longer .... "unique".
I expect the design of a car to evolve. Subtle changes don't really bother me as long at the "personality" of the car is kept...As for unique: Have you seen the Scion car that bears a strong resemblance to the MINI? So, MINI has something going for it if other car manufacturers are copying features that make a MINI unique... Mick

Old 03-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SlverMini
You are correct - MINI will be altering the design of the rear glass and it will not wrap-around as it currently does. You can clearly see it in this recent photo of a MINI test mule.

And of course you can find out a whole lot more about the 2007 MINI below:

Next Generation MINI Revealed (02/2006 Update)

Old 03-22-2006, 09:56 AM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gabe
You are correct - MINI will be altering the design of the rear glass and it will not wrap-around as it currently does. You can clearly see it in this recent photo of a MINI test mule.

And of course you can find out a whole lot more about the 2007 MINI below:

Next Generation MINI Revealed (02/2006 Update)
Interesting...I guess I was wrong. Its not a drastic change though, which is good.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:54 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Porco Rosso
There are still plenty of things that are uniquely MINI: the wheels pushed to the corners, the clamshell bonnet, the charming round headlights, the "level-headed" roof profile, etc.
The thing I will miss is that the headlights won't be connected to the bonnet any more so you can no longer shine your headlights at the sky if you desire is really no big deal asthetically but I will just miss that

Old 03-22-2006, 01:34 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Dang it, I'm getting tempted to buy an '06 instead of waiting, lol.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Bad S
2nd Gear
Just really don't like it... I know that I might just be closed mined but I am really glad to have a 2005 MCS. If I could I would run out and grab an '06 but I don't know if I can bare to part with Austin. I really do not care for the interior at all. To me it just reminds me of a mid 1970's Japanese car.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:06 PM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, it looks like they took some of the roundness out of it. Just a visual thing..... The roundness part is what I like about the present car. It has a purposeful look somewhat like a 911. The front end... Whats with that? When something works don't throw out those design elements just for a fresh look. There may be a different agenda for the design of the future Minis In the mean time I agree with Bad S.
In 1964 the new improved AH Sprite was introduced, a total destruction of a car with character. At least BMW kept their heads with the Mini, but an 06 is still a better looking car IMHO.