R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 HP limits of new Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 04:01 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
and others that use the low pressure turbos (5-7 lbs boost maximum).

Matt
I'm just not familiar with turbos that do offer real world (not manufacturer stated numbers) city&hwy great mpg and great performance at the same time so would be curious to hear about specific models from owners I guess. Another thing I wonder about is longevity, I always have heard bad things about turbos/engines lasting power esp on cars getting a lot of HP from them.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most motors on steroids have issues....

But turbos shure are easy to add power, just turn up the boost! But when cars are getting ever heavier, and you still want to accelerate quickly, the only way to do that is burn more gas!

Thing is, here in the good ol USofA, we have cheap gas, so we tend to get power over economy.

Matt

and RockC, a turbo is only a win-win if you don't need any low RPM torque....

Matt

Old 03-15-2006, 05:22 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
just an interesting tid-bit... the new GTI MKV reaches max torque (206lbft) at 1500RPM and holds it steady all the way to 5100. And that's a turbo 4.

I wonder what BMW will pull off?

Old 03-15-2006, 08:17 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MINI turbo is going to reach pack torque below 2k and hold it over 5k. I believe it's already been stated in this thread but it's definitely in the Motoringfile article. I can't wait to see the new engine.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:01 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
and RockC, a turbo is only a win-win if you don't need any low RPM torque....
Hmmm. Try checking out the Volvo S40/V50 with the T5 engine - they have stump-pulling torque low in the RPM range. When I first drove one, I thought I was driving an H1 Hummer Alpha. So, it is possible to tune a turbo engine for high torque low in the rpm range. All we can do is wait until the BMW turbo engine is released to see what it actually can do.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I test drove an Audi Allroad...

with the twin turbo 2.7. It was impressive as well. They limited the torque via computer to 250 ft lbs over quite a bit of the RPM range. Wonder what the torque curves would look like without the electronic mother in law?

Matt

Old 03-15-2006, 10:12 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
with the twin turbo 2.7. It was impressive as well. They limited the torque via computer to 250 ft lbs over quite a bit of the RPM range. Wonder what the torque curves would look like without the electronic mother in law?
About 25% higher. But then they would have higher failure rates of the automatic transmissions.... Ergo, the mother-in-law.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:28 PM
paul_
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RockC
But increased fuel economy, as good as and probably better performance than the comparable supercharged engine, reduced noise, make the changeover to a turbo-charger a win win.

Sincerely,

RockC.
REDUCED NOISE?!?!?!? What do MCSers live for? The beautiful wheeeeEEEEEEEEEE! of the supercharger. NOISE! not the silly psssshh od a blowoff valve, although the twincharge kits combine the two and it sounds pretty tight... but that's still got a S/C.

Sorry to be such a whiner (pun intended)

Old 03-16-2006, 05:16 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
rE: supercharger noise vs. turbo-charger noise...

Originally Posted by paul_
REDUCED NOISE?!?!?!? What do MCSers live for? The beautiful wheeeeEEEEEEEEEE! of the supercharger. NOISE! not the silly psssshh od a blowoff valve, although the twincharge kits combine the two and it sounds pretty tight... but that's still got a S/C.

Sorry to be such a whiner (pun intended)
While many like a rather noisy engine many markets are enforcing ever increasingly tighter noise standards. (And overseas, impact standards to lessen injuries to people hit by cars, which will result in higher hood surfaces to give more crush/cushioning to people unfortunate enough to be struck by a car.)

I don't expect the new turbo-charged engine to have a blow-off valve. That's so past it. New turbo-chargers use a variable vane setup -- under control of the engine controller unit (engine computer) -- to modify the effectiveness of exhaust gas flow into the turbine to control the amount of pressurization at the compressor side.

Turbo-charged diesel engines have used these for a while but only recently (within the last couple of years) have turbo-charger makers sorted out these for gasoline engines and their higher exhaust gas temperatures.

Sincerely,

RockC.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:19 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by caminifan
Hmmm. Try checking out the Volvo S40/V50 with the T5 engine - they have stump-pulling torque low in the RPM range. When I first drove one, I thought I was driving an H1 Hummer Alpha. So, it is possible to tune a turbo engine for high torque low in the rpm range. All we can do is wait until the BMW turbo engine is released to see what it actually can do.
Never meant to imply a turbo-charged engine would lack low-end power. With modern turbo-charger design the turbo can be sized to deliver boost a very low revs (my VW TDi developed max. torque (155 ft/lbs) at 1900 RPMs...) and yet not blow the heads off the engine at higher engine RPMs and not run out of air at those higher speeds either.

Sincerely,

RockC.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turbo will definitely make it alot easier to get HP out of it. How much it can handle...I actually think the current motor can handle more due to the iron block vs the aluminium block in the new motors.