R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 High temptation to buy now vs waiting for '07. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Crusoe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High temptation to buy now vs waiting for '07. HELP!

I thought I had decided to wait for an '07 MC but it's getting difficult.

First, I live in Seattle so the wait time for delivery is 6-8 months. So I figured I'd wait for '07, better production and supply and get mine in around 12 months from now. (Or catch a good deal on an '06)

Biggest temptation is my Mother is coming to visit from the East Coast and loves to drive. So I started scoping out all the new and used inventories. Mainly '05 and '06s but some low mileage '02 to '04s as well. There are a ton to choose from and a lower prices than what I can get West Coast.

I also thought I was set on color. Either PW/B or BRG/W but I wanted cloth interior which my MA said is no longer available. Question: it appears the space grey or black is available with standard seats on the website, I wonder if the MA was thinking I was set on sport seats?
The checkmate interior looks so nice and would go great with HB/S or SB/S.
Also a huge fan of the sunrise dark blue but is MCc only. If I lived anywhere else but Seattle I'd consider a convertible.

The final specs I want are:
Some sort of cloth or cloth leather combo.
Cold Weather Pkg
DSC
Chrono pack
Front and Back Fogs
MFSW
and my wife wants the Sunroof.

Side note: my mother is a pro upholsteress and is now retired. Should I back her to start a custom cooper seat upholstering shop?

My practical brain tells me to wait till the '07 announcement. I'll then have the choice of new '06s through '07s assuming I order from the east coast where they keep inventories. And have the opportunity to get exactly what I want if I order an '07.

Lastly this guy up the road is selling his '02 MCS for a good price. Just announced yesterday. Aarrrgh!
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ice=&cardist=2

I guess I'll keep an eye out for deals till my Mom comes to visit and then if I don't find anything, hibernate in a vacant cave while the bears are enjoying summer.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:20 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
haha.. i'm in almost *exactly* the same position.

I'm in Seattle and put a $500 deposit down for an '06 back in November. Still waiting for my phone call...

In the mean time, I've told my dealer (Fife) that I want an '07 if possible, so please give me any info when it comes! (Have you heard anything??)

And then in the meantime the '06 VW GTI MKV debuts... a screaming fast machine with a $600 ECU that brings it up to 250hp/300lbft (!!!) *and* with all the same features it's a couple thousand less than a MCs.

*sigh*

Anyway, I'm struggling, but I haven't driven the GTI yet. MKIV gti's were nice, but i've heard this thing beats the pants off of them. Let's see how it compares to my (numerous) Cooper S test drives (oh, and a fun JCW test drive).

BTW, $16k is a great price, but it's an '02. AVOID the '02. lots of issues....

Good to know a fellow Seattle future Motorist!

Old 03-11-2006, 08:36 AM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
The 05 & 06 are the best cars. I have an 04 & 06. The 06 wins hands down. LSD is a must for performance driving. The 07 platform is unproven, it might be a better car but what if it isn't??

Old 03-11-2006, 09:29 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Just think how much better your Spring/Summer will be with a Mini

In this case I'd say live for now, who knows what the future (or 07s) hold? Keep your place in with Seattle for an 07 and maybe bump it so you can test drive one before yours comes in, buy an 05/06 now (and if you look on Craigslist there are lots of them on the West Coast too that I'm sure could be had for a good price) and worse comes to worse you can sell the one you have when the new one comes in if you decide that you want to go for it. You might loose a few dollars but it will be less then if you bought the car new and the usage will probably make it worth it Just be sure your deposit is fully refundable on the 07 and that you don't lose it if you choose not to take delivery. Why live another beautiful 6-8 months without a Mini?

Old 03-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd say choose the 06 or wait til the 08 and let MINI sort out any unforeseen issues with the new model. Remeber there is that GP option too....

Old 03-11-2006, 12:13 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
The itch for me is getting unbearable. I'm *still* driving my old '90 cavalier coupe (yes, a cavalier) from all the way back when i got my driver's license! I've been ever so patiently waiting and waiting, that it's starting to drive me crazy! :impatient

anyway...

i'll be checking out GTI's sometime soon and keep an eye out for used '05/'06 minis. I would imagine even the dealers will be desperate to get rid of them..

Old 03-12-2006, 02:04 AM
SMC
2nd Gear
I am too in dilemma too whether should order the 06 or new 07,but I reckon the new 07 Mini should be better from what they have learn about major deficiences like faulty gearboxes, steering column & pump and rattles, if they have not , then its pretty sad is'nt it?

Old 03-12-2006, 02:57 AM
Chainsaw Flowerchild
2nd Gear
Get and 06 or an 08. Let someone else buy the 07 and help locate all the bugs that always get found on the first year of a new model.

Old 03-12-2006, 04:22 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chainsaw Flowerchild
Get and 06 or an 08. Let someone else buy the 07 and help locate all the bugs that always get found on the first year of a new model.
That was my exact theory. I was planning to wait until 08. But I ordered an 06.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:56 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
I would certainly be happy buying an '06 (the one I have ordered right now) and then waiting until '08 or '09 for the next gen. Really I only have 2 fears when it comes to that: 1. Afraid that the resale value of my '06 come '08 will be horrible because of the new model, and 2. Afraid I'll be stricken with "better car envy" when seeing others with an '07. What's a guy to do?

Although the '06 model should hold resale value better than all the rest of the MK1 minis, it will probably drop considerably when people see a newer, "better" model on the market, and based on what I know of the '07 so far that would not be a misguided judgement.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Crusoe
4th Gear
I'm all over craigslist to any city 800 miles from me and my Mom's house.
I'm not seriously considering any '02s but it doesn't help having a decked out '02 MCS nearby.

Wow, there should be a support group for us.
I think those looking for a MCS the '06 is the way to go. For those like me looking for a MC that gets good commuter mileage during the week and lets me barrel down a winding mountain road on the weekend, the decision is a bit blurrier. The '07 has the potential to have a much better mileage.

My own conclusion to look for deals east coast till the end of the month will work, only my lunch hour in now two while I do research. The second half on hibernation is unlikely. Maybe hypnosis, "can you zonk me out to make me think I've been driving a mini all summer?".

Yes the JCW GP would blow away my thrifty practical mentality but would be ooooh so much fun.

o-ron you are definitely in need of an upgrade.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:21 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
crusoe -

have you put in a deposit for an '06, or still just shopping around? Just my 2 cents, but for west coast if you can handle the waiting period I'd definitely buy new. Even Gabe over at motoringfile says "don't be dumb, buy new if you can"

If you haven't made a committment with a dealer anywhere, then I can understand the need to find a used one somewhere. All I can say is good luck, cuz any '04 or '05's seem to be way overpriced. (Especially Seattle area!)

Old 03-13-2006, 07:09 AM
findude
4th Gear
We have an 06 MCS and can't recommend it enough. The 07 is still a pig in a poke--no telling how good or bad it might be.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Spridal
1st Gear
I agree. Either by an 06 or wait for 08 or 09. I don't think the value will go down too much on the 06. I recently sold my 03 with 34,000 miles to the dealer for 20,000 and they sold it within a week of it being on thier lot for 28,900!

Old 03-13-2006, 12:15 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crusoe
I'm all over craigslist to any city 800 miles from me and my Mom's house.
I'm not seriously considering any '02s but it doesn't help having a decked out '02 MCS nearby.
Unfortunately I'm guessing that the large numbers of used newer Minis I've seeing avail on the West Coast may not be available in similar numbers ont he East Coast near your Mom. Perhaps can just get it yourself on this side of the country or fly your Mom to it and she can drive it the rest of the way

Old 03-13-2006, 03:17 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
MrsDiff and I want a MINI travler so it is wait untill 08 for us! In the mean while we are enjoying MIB as much as possible!

Old 03-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Crusoe
4th Gear
I've called a few dealers to confirm what they had on the lot and trying to find one with the options I'm looking for. They're all eager to work with cross country buyers. If I do find one that fits what I need at the right price, my Mom can pick it up and drive it up to me.

Amazing many east coast dealers have 20-30+ MINIs on the lot vs. Portland and Seattle that have 0. ..to include some new '05s.

Not too worried about the '07s. It's a new engine, not a new car like in '02. If I don't have anything by this fall, I'll order one the day they're available. Also there should be some good reviews and real world tests out by the time the U.S. can get them. Europe may get them up to 3 months before the U.S.

Agree most the used MINIs are overpriced, especially East coast. OBO from me would be a couple grand less than what they're asking.

The search continues, thanks for the support and advice. Till then I have my slot cars

Old 03-13-2006, 03:19 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
My $0.02. Get a 2006. They are the best built MINIs to date (along with the 05's) AND you won't have to worry about being a beta tester for MINI in 2007.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DiD
My $0.02. Get a 2006. They are the best built MINIs to date (along with the 05's) AND you won't have to worry about being a beta tester for MINI in 2007.
i agree. so there is $.04.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:02 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
wow, it seems the general consensus (about 90%) is to get an '06 and wait for an '08 or '09. Sounds good to me, like i said, my only fears are excessive loss in resale value and new-car envy. The latter I can handle better (i think )

It seems that if i do go with my '06 (which, if ordered back in Nov should be in production sometime soon...) I should stick with my plan of ordering as many '06-specific options in order to increase its "uniqueness" and distinct value. Any thoughts?

Old 03-13-2006, 06:08 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Crusoe
Not too worried about the '07s. It's a new engine, not a new car like in '02.
Oh but it is a new car. Completly new platform, suspension everything.....'02 all over again.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:42 PM
saakey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by agokart
i agree. so there is $.04.
I'm in...Lets make it $.06

Old 03-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Mayim
4th Gear
As far as better car envy, the 2007 changes are not enough for most people to even recognize that there is an update. Like the others, I say go for a 2006, just like I did (yesterday!), and wait until 2009 or so to upgrade. Other than the ability to get a loud blow-off valve, nothing strikes me as wow-eee yet on the 2007.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:25 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Originally Posted by mayim
As far as better car envy, the 2007 changes are not enough for most people to even recognize that there is an update. Like the others, I say go for a 2006, just like I did (yesterday!), and wait until 2009 or so to upgrade. Other than the ability to get a loud blow-off valve, nothing strikes me as wow-eee yet on the 2007.
I think that the new engine is reason enough to wait atleast untill 2008 or 2009. That and the fact that MrsDiff and I would like to have a Traveler,,,

The turbo is going to completely change the car so dramatically.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:27 AM
daemon2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get an 06'. New models usually have a few more problems showing up in the first year. The 06' is proven.

Quick Reply: R56 High temptation to buy now vs waiting for '07. HELP!