R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 '07 HP/Torque Potential?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 11:20 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 HP/Torque Potential?

Similar to the thread about the limitations of the '07 engine, this is more about the potential of the turbocharged Cooper S engine. A few thoughts and questions:

1. It seems that with a new generation, a new engine, and utilizing turbo BMW would have wanted to give a definite increase in "oomph" in the '07. Currently it seems to be the same 170hp, although with a as-of-yet-unannounced torque response (I'm guessing a bit higher than the current supercharged engine). Even with a little extra torque, it seems overall a little disappointing for those of us in love with the S but hoping for something a little more powerful.

2. Which brings me to my next point. Could we see a much easier/cheaper upgrade path for quickly adding power? On cars like the GTI, a simple $500 ECU chip bumps those numbers a good 25-35%(!)

3. I'm excited about the twin scroll turbo and direct injection combo, it's possible we might see full torque at low rpm and all the way close to redline (that would be fantastic!) If the torque is high enough and consistent enough, that might make this car feel like a whole new car, despite the same HP number. Thoughts?

A final caveat: I'm an automotive engine NOOB, so please correct me if I'm misunderstanding anything

Old 03-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very easily tuneable. Even easier to increase the boost and just get more power w/ turbos, unless the DME doesn't like to play that way...BMW DMEs and aftermarket turbos didn't like to play along nicely. But where there's a will, there's a way right?

Old 03-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Because of the direct injection setup, you will potentially see some good gains made and kept due to the way detonation is kept in check. In a traditional (port injected) FI engine, the fuel is injected into the intake port, carried into the cylinder during the induction phase, then has to endure the increasing heat and pressure of the compression stroke before it's ignited. It's during the compression stroke and the ignition process that the fuel/air charge can spontaneously combust all at once (detonation) rather than an even flame propagation through the charge. The DME will pull back the timing and enrich the fuel charge in order to stop detonation and protect the engine, but that robs us of quite a bit of power and fuel efficiency.

In a direct injection setup, the fuel does not enter the cylinder until the end of the compression stroke, prior to ignition. The fuel goes right into the combustion chamber at the head, not the intake port. It is ignited upon entering and burns during the actual injection process, smoothing out the power impulse. Three huge bonuses:

1-Since there is no volatile air fuel mixture getting hassled around the combustion chamber prior to the ignition process, there is no potential 'bomb' waiting to go off in the cylinder,

2-Since it's only air being moved into and compressed in the cylinder, there is no fuel that can fall out of suspension or cling to the cylinder walls and tuck between it and the piston. The fuel/air charge can be made very consistent, adding power and efficiency that cannot be easily done with conventional induction setups. The upper ring land of the piston can be made thicker once again to handle higher chamber pressures and temps,

3-The static compression ratio can be made much higher than is possible in conventional FI setups (because of 1 above). This greatly improves efficiency, and allows less boost to do more work. 10PSI of boost in a direct FI engine is probably more like 15PSI in a conventional. The new MINI engine is slated to have a 10:1+ compression ratio. This cannot be done in a conventional setup except with exotic fuels.

There are downsides, of course. The injection pumps and injectors are made entirely different than the ones people are used to seeing in traditional engines. Rather than 50-70PSI or so of fuel pressure a direct FI setup needs many hundreds. It will take the aftermarket some time to catch up here.

People who know the inner workings of a lot of engines will recognize that this new setup is really not all that new, this is how diesel engines have functioned for countless decades. The same tuning and technology that made modern diesel engines incredibly powerful and efficient these days is what is driving the implementation of direct FI in gas engines with the same results.

To be honest, I cant wait. I might just have to become a two MINI owner once the '07 series comes out (though I will wait a couple years till they sort out the growing pains )

Old 03-17-2006, 08:48 AM
SteveS
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plus, variable intake timing, quick warm-up and reduced friction throughout the engine. And the ports look like they don't need any work due to the the smooth, refined casting, relative to the rough and small ports of the Tritec engine.

Should be a terriffic engine.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:28 AM
cushin14
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
To be honest, I cant wait. I might just have to become a two MINI owner once the '07 series comes out (though I will wait a couple years till they sort out the growing pains )
What I was thinking!

Old 03-30-2006, 02:35 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
what fun is that not agonizing over which mod to get next to get minimal results......just turn up the boost for $500 and go...... too democratic.....anyone can do it....no snob appeal......just a cheap powerful fun car to drive..... bah humbug...

Old 04-09-2006, 01:39 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
I think MINI is making the right decision to keep the standard S limited to ~170hp. The current HP wars are just getting ridiculous these days. 170hp in such a small package is perfectly fine for spirited driving. And all of the advances with this new engine WILL make tuning MUCH easier and cheaper. Coming from old turbo Saabs.. The next few years will be interesting times for MINI

Old 04-09-2006, 01:42 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
^^x2

Old 04-15-2006, 10:59 PM
xianqi
2nd Gear
Its rather interesting to me how many simularities the 07 motor has to a diesel, such as the injection method, the low rpm torque (reportedly making significant torque by 1600 rpms). If it weren't for the spark plugs and fuel type i'd almost swear it was a diesel.

I think gas pump sticker shock will make more people in the US give fuel economy creedance over power, so if Mini can put out a strong motor with good fuel economy, they'll definately get a good portion of the market share.

Another consideration is how much power a front wheel drive car as light as the mini really effectively handle. From what I've read, the enthusiests that have pushed their minis to 250+ whp have serious issues with keeping the car hooked up.

When i bought my mini, my main concern was a balance of Handling, Power and MPG and the mini absolutely fit the bill. I have always been a little dissapointed with the mini (I have an 03) off the line and while many people talk about turbo lag vs supercharger, I don't really care if its supercharged or turbo charged as long as the powerband is responsive enough to create an enjoyable driving experience. My biggest fear with the 07+ mini is that they are going to skimp on the handling, which was a major selling point with the 03 car.

Enough rambling

Old 04-15-2006, 11:04 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xianqi
Another consideration is how much power a front wheel drive car as light as the mini really effectively handle. From what I've read, the enthusiests that have pushed their minis to 250+ whp have serious issues with keeping the car hooked up.
Enjoy this thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=66165
the first video link is no longer the correct link, read further into the thread (to post #20) for the correct one.

Enjoy!

Old 04-16-2006, 05:57 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
It's easier to extract more power from a turbo... It seems there will be alot of potential for easy power... that is if they allow for it... I'm sure there will be a good amount of "nanny" software to keep things in check...