R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Why turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:40 AM
DownSize
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, Im coming from an 04 Subaru WRX with plenty of Mods to increase power. yes it's nice when you're WOT in third getting up to 100 in no time, but every day driving, the lag was very bad. Im sure different makes deal with the lag issue very differerntly but Ill take my SC'ed Mini anyday! plus , the subie weighed a piggish 3,600 pounds!!! Maybe MINI is turbo'ing the next generation to meet WRC requirements? just a thought

Old 04-24-2006, 01:49 PM
XAlfa
Banned
No SC's allowed in WRC? Why is that?

Old 04-24-2006, 01:55 PM
R50 Paul
4th Gear
Well my '03 MC will be paid off in June of 2008. I've loved this car enough to go ahead and retire it at that time and then go pay a visit to Assael MINI....again! So no matter what I will end up with a turbo MINI, I'm pretty excited about this! A lot of my friends have turbo cars and I can't wait to join them. My 115hp MC has served me well, but after it's paid off (I should be at 100,000 by then! ) I will be in TURBO heaven!

Old 05-01-2006, 09:53 AM
DownSize
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
No SC's allowed in WRC? Why is that?
Im not 100% positive if it's not allowed or if the teams just dont use them.

but if your turbo goes, you can still finish the stage and get some points, but if your SC goes, your done for for that stage and get no points. I dont know what the correct answer is, but seeing that no teams use an SC'ed car, I think that may be the case.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:20 AM
fix8ted
3rd Gear
16v

Originally Posted by pgifford
Oooh...be still my heart. The only other car I've enjoyed as much as my MINI was a 16v Scirocco...looked like this:

I enjoyed the 2 280Zs I had before that, but still that VW was lots of fun, and had a sexy purr to it too.

I look forward to seeing the new Scirocco!

Paul
I too enjoyed my 16V as much as the MINI. Atleast I know that the people from Eurosport are turning it into a track car.... memories...

Old 05-23-2006, 06:31 AM
MiniMargie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
And if you had the coupe, you'd never drive the Subie.
heheh....working on a second MCS...this one a coupe We have a stack of parts waiting in the garage for it now...names like M7 and Koni on the boxes

Old 05-23-2006, 07:03 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pgifford
And S is for Supercharger!
I don't think that had a supercharged model of the Mini Cooper S back in the early 60's when they were first introduced...

Old 05-23-2006, 12:12 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Originally Posted by dominicminicoopers
I don't think that had a supercharged model of the Mini Cooper S back in the early 60's when they were first introduced...
Correct! None of the Classic Minis were boosted. Though they did offer a twin carburation option.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
Correct! None of the Classic Minis were boosted. Though they did offer a twin carburation option.
Incorrect. The ERA Mini turbo would disagree with you. Fitted with an MG Metro Turbo engine (same engine as the Mini - the A series) it made something like 92 horsepower.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:32 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Do we know what the estimated spool will be, at what RPM?

Old 05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
As more of a layman driver than a tech-type, my personal subjective experience, coming from a 1.8T 04 GTI to the 06 MCs... I am enjoying the supercharger. While I do miss the pull on the turbo when you got it going, so much of my driving is urban, the supercharger more closely approximates the old joy of my motorcycling days... being able to jump off the line at stop or low RPM... It's just making for more of a fun kick in traffic and in my normal commute driving. Certainly opening up the turbo on a long stretch of empty, curvy highway was fun. But the MCs is fun from stop.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:17 PM
S6boy
2nd Gear
I Thought i heard the turdo is electric roller bearing which is controlled by the ecu?

to wat that means i have no idea tbh lol! but i thought it ment it wont be powered by the exz gas and have no dump valve? or am i just being blonde? lol

and as for a A seires mini Turbo engine a friend of mine Matt Woods has extracted 224bhp for a freaking A Series engine! links here of a recent British TV program on his mental mini!>> http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F...5B43BE719A.htm

Old 05-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Andrewsky
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DownSize
well, Im coming from an 04 Subaru WRX with plenty of Mods to increase power. yes it's nice when you're WOT in third getting up to 100 in no time, but every day driving, the lag was very bad. Im sure different makes deal with the lag issue very differerntly but Ill take my SC'ed Mini anyday! plus , the subie weighed a piggish 3,600 pounds!!! Maybe MINI is turbo'ing the next generation to meet WRC requirements? just a thought
3,600 sounds waaaaaay too high.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:26 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
what a great video...we played it a few times here in the office...

Old 05-24-2006, 05:28 PM
MiniMargie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Andrewsky
3,600 sounds waaaaaay too high.
yeah....more like 3200. Our Legacy GT wagon is 16 inches longer with the 2.5L turbo motor (vs. 2.0T in the WRX), leather and a sunroof and it weighs 3350.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:41 AM
RUKnight
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by S6boy
I Thought i heard the turdo is electric roller bearing which is controlled by the ecu?

to wat that means i have no idea tbh lol! but i thought it ment it wont be powered by the exz gas and have no dump valve? or am i just being blonde? lol
You're pretty far off, that's like saying that it'll be powered by a flux capacitor

It'll be a twin scroll unit which basically means there are 2 paths for air to take to the intake side of the turbo. Helps it spool up faster while still giving the car very good top end power. The turbocharged MCS motor should be a gem with direct injection, twin scroll and the rest of the technological goodies they're fitting it with. The closer thing to it on the market today is VW 2.0t which is a gem of an engine, but I don't believe its twin scroll.
Mike

Old 05-25-2006, 07:13 AM
S6boy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RUKnight
You're pretty far off, that's like saying that it'll be powered by a flux capacitor

It'll be a twin scroll unit which basically means there are 2 paths for air to take to the intake side of the turbo. Helps it spool up faster while still giving the car very good top end power. The turbocharged MCS motor should be a gem with direct injection, twin scroll and the rest of the technological goodies they're fitting it with. The closer thing to it on the market today is VW 2.0t which is a gem of an engine, but I don't believe its twin scroll.
Mike
AHHHH!!!

so i was being dumb! lol!!

cheers for the clear up on the techanial side!

Old 06-27-2006, 04:46 PM
NZ
1st Gear
Just since it hasn't been mentioned yet (or I haven't read it) the new BMW 335 is going to use twin turbos. They must have spent some time testing that engine, so I wonder if there were some benefits/sharing of research.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:54 AM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
BMW would have you believe that fuel economy is the main reason. Actually its economics; turbos are much cheaper to produce than superchargers; modding the S to JCW-tune will be much cheaper too. Don't get me wrong - I'm looking forward to better gas mileage .... but they'll make alot more $$$ off the turbo. I'm NOT looking forward to the lag.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:09 AM
MiniMargie
4th Gear
a small twinscroll has little to no lag. There's more 'lag' in throttle response on our MCS than our turbo'ed Legacy GT.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:22 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by o-ron
all this easy hp/torque turbo talk is making me regret my '06 order..

not really.. i'm excited for the '07 and when they get all the kinks worked out and really start to pull power out of the new engine ('09-ish?)
You won't regret it! Turbos will always have lag... They are a restriction in the exhaust system and need to spin up before the power hits. The current setup provides low-end torque.. This is what you use in daily driving.. It is also more predictable power which is what you need for the track..

Old 06-28-2006, 09:25 AM
cydewaze
3rd Gear
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong or misguided (which I very well may be).

I'm assuming the references in this thread to turbos making more power than superchargers is based on a positive displacement (i.e roots or screw type) supercharger, where doubling the RPM leads to double the airflow.

Wouldn't it be simpler to switch to a centrifugal supercharger (similar to a Vortech or ProCharger) where the airflow increases exponentially to RPM? It seems like this would be a way to get turbo-like power with no lag.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:47 AM
MiniMargie
4th Gear
superchargers induce parasitic losses, as they are normally a belt driven accessory like your alternator. A turbocharger works off exhaust gas....free power. The downside is that you generally need a lower compression engine to combat detonation and that means low power off boost.

my main gripe with the MCS is the 'dead' feeling' in the throttle when pulling away from a stop. supposedly, M7 Tuning is working on a DBW re-map to help tune this out, but I can't help to think it's not all in the programming, but in the mechanics of the S/C.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:54 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiniMargie
superchargers induce parasitic losses, as they are normally a belt driven accessory like your alternator. A turbocharger works off exhaust gas....free power. The downside is that you generally need a lower compression engine to combat detonation and that means low power off boost.

my main gripe with the MCS is the 'dead' feeling' in the throttle when pulling away from a stop. supposedly, M7 Tuning is working on a DBW re-map to help tune this out, but I can't help to think it's not all in the programming, but in the mechanics of the S/C.
I thought the 05 gearing improved the dead feeling from idle. Maybe, I am thinking incorrectly.

My 04 is like that and I just roll from stop signs. I cant' wait to get my first ticket and explain that one!

Old 06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
MINIATIC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Latka
Incorrect. The ERA Mini turbo would disagree with you. Fitted with an MG Metro Turbo engine (same engine as the Mini - the A series) it made something like 92 horsepower.

Oh my god I just so the car of my dreams...Does anyone have one of this in the states, what years were they made and how much they will run for today.. I LOVE IT!!:impatient :impatient

Quick Reply: R56 Why turbo?