R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What would you like changed on the 2007 Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 06:29 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
You forgot the Ford GT? The CTS-V is no chopped liver...then there's the Sky Redline with 260hp coming soon...
The Ford GT is gone and the CTS-V is a Cadillac (Isn't the CTS-V a rebadged and uglified Corvette?)... and I actually think the Sky Redline will be good, but they should take a lesson from the Corvette and cut some weight. America has some problem of just dumping more and more power into their cars instead of dealing with the more non-HP things, like handling or handling feel, weight, etc. And why, oh why is the Sky a Saturn? They couldn't find a worse badge that had a more horrible stigma?

Old 04-12-2006, 07:23 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIotaple
The Ford GT is gone and the CTS-V is a Cadillac (Isn't the CTS-V a rebadged and uglified Corvette?)... and I actually think the Sky Redline will be good, but they should take a lesson from the Corvette and cut some weight. America has some problem of just dumping more and more power into their cars instead of dealing with the more non-HP things, like handling or handling feel, weight, etc. And why, oh why is the Sky a Saturn? They couldn't find a worse badge that had a more horrible stigma?
The GT is not gone...yet...the CTS-V is a 400hp coupe, also developed at the Ring...you're thinking of the XLR-V. And I don't know what's so wrong with a Saturn if they're building cars like 260hp Sky Let go of the prejuducies and have fun...Don't forget about the new Camaro...and other things I can't even whisper...

Old 04-12-2006, 07:26 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
The GT is not gone...yet...the CTS-V is a 400hp coupe, also developed at the Ring...you're thinking of the XLR-V. And I don't know what's so wrong with a Saturn if they're building cars like 260hp Sky Let go of the prejuducies and have fun...Don't forget about the new Camaro...and other things I can't even whisper...
But it's not like Saturn itself is making it. It's GM that's making it. While I and others can get rid of prejudices toward Saturn, others may not be able to and it may take awhile. I just don't understand why GM didn't put it under another badge where it wouldn't have been so much of an uphill battle. Proverbially, they're going into a fight with one hand tied behind their back.

I like how a thread about what to change about the '07 MINI has changed into what's wrong with the US automotive industry.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:28 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Let go of the prejuducies and have fun...
That's hard to do while driving an overweight pig of a car with sloppy handling and no road feel.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:35 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
i have driven the CTS-V with the 6 speed, and liked it. It is not a pig either...

XAlfa, what is up with you dude, always negative

Old 04-12-2006, 07:42 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
That's hard to do while driving an overweight pig of a car with sloppy handling and no road feel.
I thought he was talking about MOST American cars...

Old 04-12-2006, 07:45 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by ScuderiaMini
XAlfa, what is up with you dude, always negative
Someone has to keep it real.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:00 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah...I know there will always be the anti-American crowd...sorry can't help ya...

Old 04-12-2006, 08:12 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
And it grows and grows as evidenced by GM and Ford's decreasing market share. And I'm not anti-American, I'm just anti-bad cars. It just happens that the American automakers are producing alot of it, specifically GM. I hope I'm not offending you. If it helps, I think Japanese cars are typically so boring that they actually drain a person of their soul as time passes.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:40 PM
RHM
2nd Gear
I root for the American car companies to come up with exciting and quality products, but am generallly disappointed. While they are getting better, they are not necessarily gaining any ground.

I agree that Japanese products are typically boring. Some Honda/Acura products are an exception.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:19 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this may seem minor to most, but it drives me nuts that the current stereo head unit doesn't display elapsed track time
for CDs, while any $20 crappy-*** CD player at Kmart does have this capability. I pay a lot of attention to my music, and
this honestly lessens my enjoyment of the car on almost a daily basis.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:42 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisneal
I know this may seem minor to most, but it drives me nuts that the current stereo head unit doesn't display elapsed track time
for CDs, while any $20 crappy-*** CD player at Kmart does have this capability. I pay a lot of attention to my music, and
this honestly lessens my enjoyment of the car on almost a daily basis.
get an ipod

Old 04-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
My complaints are simple. The new front end sucks.... Looks SO MUCH LESS like the original Mini, but I realize this is due to new "pedestrian safety standards," but me, always the Darwinist think pedestrians ought to try not to walk in front of cars.

Well I do like the seats with the hole in them, but I am excited to see the wagon and all, just I know I will never own one after an '05.

I will however be looking to engine upgrades when I rag mine out to failure in some years.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:35 PM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
I don't think anybody has mentioned this yet, I like to have the bonnet release on the driver side instead of the passenger side.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Xanthus
ROFL, wishful thinking, why bother, from a manufacturing standpoint it is more cost with little gain. Besides it IS on the drivers side......where they are made.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:28 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by jollygreenmini
I don't think anybody has mentioned this yet, I like to have the bonnet release on the driver side instead of the passenger side.
What!? You've got to be kidding!! That's one of the coolest parts of the MINI, imo. Pretty sure the Camry has one on the driver's side. That might be a better car for you...

Old 04-20-2006, 04:53 PM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Xanthus
ROFL, wishful thinking, why bother, from a manufacturing standpoint it is more cost with little gain. Besides it IS on the drivers side......where they are made.
But I wonder whether more left hand drive cars are sold than right hand drive cars. Wouldn't it make sense to accommodate the larger set of potential customers? Yeah, I have to agree if most people don't care, then it's little gain. And some, like XAlfa, might like it on the opposite side, I personally don't think it's that cool, I prefer function over form.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:25 PM
XAlfa
Banned
And some, like XAlfa, might like it on the opposite side, I personally don't think it's that cool, I prefer function over form.
I prefer a little dysfunction in my vehicles. Adds character.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:20 AM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
A feature I'd like to see in the current MINI is a switch to turn off the glove box light when it is open, the fact that they put cup holders (I suppose that is what they are) there indicates that the glove box is anticipated to remain open for an extended period of time, having the light on all that time is just not practical.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Xanthus
But I wonder whether more left hand drive cars are sold than right hand drive cars. Wouldn't it make sense to accommodate the larger set of potential customers? Yeah, I have to agree if most people don't care, then it's little gain. And some, like XAlfa, might like it on the opposite side, I personally don't think it's that cool, I prefer function over form.

Um, that was a very AMERICAN response.......

You even properly call it a bonnet.......

You can do it, I know it........

Old 04-23-2006, 08:09 PM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Xanthus
Um, that was a very AMERICAN response.......

You even properly call it a bonnet.......

You can do it, I know it........
Not necessarily an American response, but a response for a left hand drive MINI owner. You think British drivers would like the bonnet release on the left side? Be interestig to find out.

I properly call it a bonnet because that's what MINI calls it, if MINI had called it a widget then I'd have called it a widget.

I can certainly live with it, I'm just saying if I has my way I'd put it on the "proper" side.

I'm curious where it is on Land Rovers, and whether LR owners refer to "it" as hood or bonnet.