R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What would you like changed on the 2007 Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:29 PM
RHM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you like changed on the 2007 Mini?

While most of us probably don't want to see radical changes in the next generation of Minis, there are some things that could be improved. I have spent considerable time researching options in preparation of buying a 2006 MCS, and one system that could stand updating is the audio system. If you look at the number of posts concerning IPod adaptors, with a smaller number of post about Bluetooth adaptors, it is obvious that there is room for improvement. I would like to see the next generation of audo systems to be Bluetooth and IPod ready, possibly without costly adaptors and more costly installation. The IPod or MP3 adaptor should list song and artist ID on the head unit display so that the IPod can be kept securely out of sight. The Bluetooth adaptor should have noise cancellation circuitry and microphone placement to assure that the receiever of your calls hears you clearly. Everything should be integrated so that the MFSW controls all functions, and that the systems work even with NAV.

What is on your wish list?

Old 04-11-2006, 07:37 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Drop 500lbs, part of which could be the allegedly outdated sound system. Add AWD and a normally-aspirated BMW 6... behind the front seats. And speaking of seats, could we have some real ones, for God's sake. That's it.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:36 AM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
Drop 500lbs, part of which could be the allegedly outdated sound system. Add AWD and a normally-aspirated BMW 6... behind the front seats. And speaking of seats, could we have some real ones, for God's sake. That's it.
... The only one I agree with is the seats. What the hell? I'm 21 and they give me back aches.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:37 AM
bobdobbs
4th Gear
Make it pickup truck!

Old 04-12-2006, 10:43 AM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few inchs shorter and thinner. And while we are at it how about a nice 150 (at least) HP motor before the supercharger or turbo. And for us familys how about third row seating on the traveler. And some nice colorful cars, no more shades of grey or blue. More dreams to come when I have time.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:43 AM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
I go along with dropping 500 lbs, but realistically, if they could do it it would have already been done. The only other thing i can think of is to make AC an option, that would achieve some weight reduction (and cost as well) for the people who rarely use AC.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:48 AM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jollygreenmini
I go along with dropping 500 lbs, but realistically, if they could do it it would have already been done. The only other thing i can think of is to make AC an option, that would achieve some weight reduction (and cost as well) for the people who rarely use AC.
I beg to differ. I don't think weightloss was part of the ethos when designing the MINI. I don't think that 500lbs can be lost, but I do think 100-200 lbs could be done when designing from scratch. Unforunately, many of us think like Mazda sports car designers while MINI designers do not.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:51 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My only real concern is with them messing up what we currently have by dumbing it down or making it "cheaper." I'm optimistic that this won't happen (much), so anything additional would be gravy, imo.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:56 AM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
My only real concern is with them messing up what we currently have by dumbing it down or making it "cheaper." I'm optimistic that this won't happen (much), so anything additional would be gravy, imo.
Amen to that, I like the fact that the interior material currrently is 'cushiony' (padded?), not like cheap hard plastic on many similarly priced cars.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:03 AM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Amen to that, I like the fact that the interior material currrently is 'cushiony' (padded?), not like cheap hard plastic on many similarly priced cars.
I feel like I'm stalking you jollygreenmini. I always thought the plastic stuff on the dashboard fascia was a bit cheap. The JCW one looks really good though.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:16 AM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
But at least the stuff on top (of the dash) and some material on the door interior are padded. Look at most American cars under $25k and you'll likely find cheap plastic at the same places. Also, the MINI rides like a well-built car that it is, despite the occasional complaint of rattles and squeaks.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:33 PM
JCWGurl
Coordinator :: Manitoba MINI Motoring Club
I agree that if they could drop some weight that would be a good thing. Darn Airbags .

I like the sport seats for driving and they do seem much better then a large number of other cars in the same price range.

Personally, I don't use the stereo much - I like the sounds of the supercharger so it makes no diff. to me

BUT MY WISH...
Change the DSC so that it will NOT CUT MY POWER BUT it should still enable the stability component (it's a little embarassing in traffic when you stomp on it and it just won't go! ) I think Porsche now has a system that reacts this way.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:36 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCWGurl

Change the DSC so that it will NOT CUT MY POWER BUT it should still enable the stability component (it's a little embarassing in traffic when you stomp on it and it just won't go! ) I think Porsche now has a system that reacts this way.
Porsche has its own version of DSC called PCM that comes to bear only when needed and should not interfere in normal starts. They also come with an optional sport switch that changes the ECU map to be more agressive in the electronic throttle so you need less pedal travel for the same throttle response and more technical wizardry, including fiber optics for the stereos, that are way beyond anything your ever going to see in a MINI

Old 04-12-2006, 01:38 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
But at least the stuff on top (of the dash) and some material on the door interior are padded. Look at most American cars under $25k and you'll likely find cheap plastic at the same places. Also, the MINI rides like a well-built car that it is, despite the occasional complaint of rattles and squeaks.
Speaking of American cars, why do they suck?

Old 04-12-2006, 01:46 PM
JCWGurl
Originally Posted by chows4us
Porsche has its own version of DSC called PCM that comes to bear only when needed and should not interfere in normal starts. They also come with an optional sport switch that changes the ECU map to be more agressive in the electronic throttle so you need less pedal travel for the same throttle response and more technical wizardry, including fiber optics for the stereos, that are way beyond anything your ever going to see in a MINI
Now I remember why my dream car is the (997) 911 Turbo

Oh, well...for now it's Rex the MINI

Old 04-12-2006, 01:49 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Now I remember why my dream car is the (997) 911 Turbo

Oh, well...for now it's Rex the MINI
Wrong car, the correct car is the GT3. Perfect example of what MINI should hold as their archetype.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:17 PM
JCWGurl
Originally Posted by MINIotaple
Wrong car, the correct car is the GT3. Perfect example of what MINI should hold as their archetype.
Ah yes, but alas that is my husband's dream car and I need something different. Upon winning the lottery our local Porsche dealer will be a very happy man....GT3 for Mark, Turbo for me...

Sorry for the thread jack!

Now back to your regular programming.....

Old 04-12-2006, 02:20 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Ah yes, but alas that is my husband's dream car and I need something different. Upon winning the lottery our local Porsche dealer will be a very happy man....GT3 for Mark, Turbo for me...
Husband's going to be very sad when you destroy him off the line.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:27 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
This...

Old 04-12-2006, 03:15 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
997 GT3 not out yet. Turbo is at a mere $123K. Why wait?

Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
997 GT3 not out yet. Turbo is at a mere $123K. Why wait?
It's out? I need to head on over to the dealership to take a look.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:18 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Speaking of American cars, why do they suck?
They all don't suck.

Sid should know ... his Z06 puts many, many exotics to shame. Take a look at its lap time at the ring ... pure stock.

Then again, thats about the only one I can think of

Old 04-12-2006, 03:23 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
They all don't suck.

Sid should know ... his Z06 puts many, many exotics to shame. Take a look at its lap time at the ring ... pure stock.

Then again, thats about the only one I can think of
Only one I can think of too.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:35 PM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
Since we're a little OT already and speaking of vettes, does anybody else think the best looking generation was the C4? Talking about messing up a good thing, couldn't they have added power without tweaking the body?

Old 04-12-2006, 04:30 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Only one I can think of too.
You forgot the Ford GT? The CTS-V is no chopped liver...then there's the Sky Redline with 260hp coming soon...

Quick Reply: R56 What would you like changed on the 2007 Mini?