R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Fifth gear has review of new 07 Mini

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:16 AM
SurfsUP
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fifth gear has review of new 07 Mini

Check out the cool review of the new upcoming 2007 Mini.

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?lnk=211&featureid=451&description=2007% 20Mini%20first%20drive!

Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Nice find, thanks!

Interesting to read, on preview some things I like, others not so much. I can't afford to add 2 inches in length based on some spots we find, but maybe a 'vert in the future

One remark though, after having 2 MCSs we never once had wobbley bonnet lighting as indicated in the article

Old 07-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is interesting to see the comparisons between the old & new. The greenhouse on the new one seems to favor the current trend of the chopped look like the Audi TT or Chrysler 300.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:51 AM
sbpwjm
2nd Gear
i was hoping someone would comment on the wobbly headlights comment... thanks eVal!

we have an '06 MCSa on order (on the boat now as a matter of fact) and was hoping this wobbly headlight comment wasn't commonplace... i started to wonder if that is why alot of MINI's have driving lights...

sbp

Old 07-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
I do like that profile. I wonder if it's any shorter in height.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:58 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jahmills
It is interesting to see the comparisons between the old & new. The greenhouse on the new one seems to favor the current trend of the chopped look like the Audi TT or Chrysler 300.
Or the Hummer.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sbpwjm
i was hoping someone would comment on the wobbly headlights comment... thanks eVal!

we have an '06 MCSa on order (on the boat now as a matter of fact) and was hoping this wobbly headlight comment wasn't common place... i started to wonder if that is why alot of MINI's have driving lights...

sbp
Don't worry - the projector Xenons (and I hope you did order the HIDs) on our 05 are phenomenal

I love the clamshell bonnet with the cool torpedo integrated headlights, sorry to see they are affixing the lamps on the body in a more mundane fashion actually. Hope there are no issues with the holes in the sheetmetal lining up with the lamps once people starting living with them.

PS: Comparing the profile of the old and new, esp the front bumper overhang, would be easier if both cars were in full profile...

Old 07-27-2006, 12:14 PM
minimusprime
6th Gear
that's a pretty interesting review. However im still conflicted over the new mini. It doesn't matter much as no matter how good it is ill be sticking with my 06.

Engine: That review makes it sound more promising then i would have thought. One would at least believe if the turbo lag were something to note they would have said something about it but they really didn't. He did say it pulled well from 1600 on up so that is definatly a promising sign.

Exterior: The more tape and line hiding stuff they take off the 07 the more i like it honestly. However it does seem to miss a certain something from the previous gen. I do think however that is because everyone i have seen is in a solid color and no stripes aero kit etc. It most definatly seems more rounded at the front that much is for sure. I do like the solid back faux grill in comparison to the two sepperate ones we have now. As far as headlamps i actually really like the headlights on my 06... no real complaints so far. It does definatly look different, and i will have to see it without the tape to really get an idea. It does however seem to me they weren't quite sure what they really wanted out the new design. For example they rounded the front a bit to look more playfull but then they chopped the back windows to make it look a little meaner. IDK Time will only tell on this one.

Interior: I like what everyone has said about a bit more room. But honestly once I got used to the mini's interior it kinda grew on me. I think i might mind losing some storage space here and there and I really dont know about the cd player changes and the heat/ac changes. Looks kinda hotwheelish to me. I do however like the changing light colors thing as an idea but it kinda seems like something you would find on a scion or something.

Suspension/Handling: Totally subjective so it's hard to even comment. I find it shocking that they are claiming a 15 second jump in laptimes at the german test track. I think they are referring to nuremburgring in which case 15 seconds isn't as big as it sounds but it's still something any way you slice it. Sounds like they did change the basic suspension to be more simple. So i guess it's good and bad.

Overall the car is decent. It's going to be hard to break into my needs list however as i am so happy with my 06. The way i see this one panning out is the new 07 looks like it will be a better car for those who want to drive it stock or do a very small amount of modding. However from what i have read it seems the sc mini's are going to be where it's at for those that want to get their hands dirty and get a quirky little autoXer.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:15 PM
DJA
2nd Gear
It is kind of funny how easily the reviewers find fault with existing cars they previously gushed about. Suddenly, the old car has all sorts of shortcomings. I guess they have to write something....

Old 07-27-2006, 06:10 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
He said:

"...and buyers will be able to choose at least one DIESEL too."

Diesel?

I would LOVE a Mini diesel.

I had previously heard that the U.S. would not get a diesel...what's the scoop?

Thanks...

Old 07-27-2006, 07:10 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diesel would be interesting, but it'll be a while before clean diesel fuel is available widely in the US. The stuff they sell in Europe is far cleaner.

In general, I think I'm going to like the interior, although I wish they'd move away from BMW red/orange LEDs. I hate that. Exterior, it will take me a while to get used to the different profile, with what appears to be a sloped roof.

I just hope, hope, hope they've not shaved off any headroom or legroom.

-W-

Old 07-27-2006, 07:55 PM
peccavis
1st Gear
Thanks for sharing!

...and I agree with the others about the obscure complaint about the wobbley bonnet lighting. No problems here.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:16 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting read. The final summing up is funny.....substantial pros.....inconsequential cons. I think we'll like it. If so, then watch out for orders to spike mid-'07 go nuts into '08.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear

Here's the new Habitrail. I wonder if they will keep the mail slot in the hood or do away with it in the production version.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:29 PM
peccavis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson

Here's the new Habitrail. I wonder if they will keep the mail slot in the hood or do away with it in the production version.
Great point! Where's the turbo intercooler? Probably low behind the bumper. If so, there's no practical reason for a hood scoop anymore.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:36 AM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
I think like somebody else said, the biggest thing with the looks is the plain colors. None of us are used to seeing the MINI plain. Hell, I dont like plain MINI's. I think just the bonnet Stripe adds soo much.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:32 AM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I dont want to be a wet blanket, but the new looks are not as exciting and classy as the old ones. It seems no one wanted to make the car look as retro.

which is kinda dumb as its a retro car..... Still, if you like it better, you'll be better off by small amounts rather than set back it seems (mechanically).

I like the high torque through the whole deal thing better than gaining torque. That will feel much more solid and probably a need to shift les..

im buying a 2006 right this week to avoid this car though

Clunky 1.6 engine for a refined 1.6 engine with only like 3-4 more horse? I think someone is a little off in that comment. I love the current engine!

Old 08-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only one thing I need to know....

and that was...

Old: Peak torque at 4500 RPM or so...
New: Peak torque from 1700 RPM.....

That makes me smile!

Matt

Old 08-11-2006, 01:48 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have never read a single thread about "wobbly" headlights! WTF!? For me, that calls into question the entire article.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:41 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
I have never read a single thread about "wobbly" headlights! WTF!? For me, that calls into question the entire article.
My last maintenance visit is coming up soon, maybe I should ask Roadshow to install a wobbly light stabilizer bar.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:01 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I don't hate the new interior, but will wait until I can actually sit down and see how "ergonomic" the layout is.
I will miss the headlights in the bonnet, it will affect the Midnight on the Dragon lightshow adversely. Guess there will have to be some adjustments made,Yucca?
The sound of the engine is an issue for me, I love the sound of El Kabong and hate to think that they are making a change that could affect the burble.
Annette

Old 08-11-2006, 11:28 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
Yep, I hope they keep the burble. I also like the supercharger whine; I'd miss that. I don't know, at first I thought people were being a bit too critical but I have to say the more pictures I see of the new model, the less I like it. Not that it's remotely bad or anything but it does seem less special to me. I'm sure it'll be very nice to drive and all, but... .

Mark

Old 08-11-2006, 12:23 PM
UKDragon
Iguana Tamer
Personally, the ONLY thing i like about the new gen MINI is that it looks like it has toggle switches on the ceiling. I'd be playing with those all the time no matter what they did
Other than that, I still like my supercharger better and the design elements that they DID change outside and in look terrible and less 'mini-esque' to me. Sorry. If I had to buy another MINI I would find a used one.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:33 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
I have heard they are putting a swivel seat in the front for ease of exit in the 07's.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:35 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
I don't believe they'll have a swivel seat and the burble is still there. You can hear it on one of the videos by Paul from MINI2.

Quick Reply: R56 Fifth gear has review of new 07 Mini