R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R53 versus R56... a visual study

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:53 AM
lava
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ummm...

yes, you added the bar
or
yes its typical R53

Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by lava
ummm...

yes, you added the bar
or
yes its typical R53
Sorry I misunderstood your question...this is a custom modification to my R53

Old 01-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The majority of these posts remind me of something I once heard said by a beat generation poet: "Everyone loves change .. as long as it's to something they're used to".

Here are some observations from someone who's new to the Mini Cooper:

A major gripe in this thread is the 'fake' bonnet scoop. From what I read from Mini, it's not fake. It no longer feeds the intake of a supercharged engine but it does help cool the turbocharged engine (and it continues to be a factor in helping the S stand out away from the crowd).

From this outsider's viewpoint, the R56 looks better than the R53. I certainly don't believe, as some have suggested, that BMW/Mini will go out of business because it has strayed somewhat from the earlier version. It may very well turn out to be the other way around. How that works out probably depends most on how BMW/Mini wants to market the car. To me, it should definitely be marketed as a, "driver's car". People are not going to switch to something smaller and supposedly less safe simply because they like the way it looks.

At first when I started reading these posts I was dissappointed with all the negativity. After some analysis though I came to realize that a very large number of these negative comments kept coming from a very small number of people who post on this site.

I think the car magazine writers who review this car have it right. The manner in which the Mini Cooper drives is its big selling point (especially the S). They have given it high marks in that respect. The one thing they all seem to be saying is that BMW went out of its way to make sure the car's new appearance wouldn't chase the current Mini Cooper lovers away. To this newbie, there's very little difference, looks wise, between the R53 and the R56 except for the fact that the new MCS has a more aggressive look. After reading these posts though, I can certainly see why BMW worked so hard to make it as little different looking from its predecessor as possible.

I like this car. I'm very much looking forward to getting my new MCS. I hope that some of the unbelievers start seeing the positive aspects of this new car. Someone wisely posted a list of R53 negatives that have been discussed over the years on this forum. I'm guessing that most of those have been designed out on this new model.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:42 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken Cooper
At first when I started reading these posts I was dissappointed with all the negativity. After some analysis though I came to realize that a very large number of these negative comments kept coming from a very small number of people who post on this site.
So that explains the higher post counts!

Old 01-12-2007, 05:08 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear

At first when I started reading these posts I was dissappointed with all the negativity.
I had the same reaction when I started reading the posts
The one thing they all seem to be saying is that BMW went out of its way to make sure the car's new appearance wouldn't chase the current Mini Cooper lovers away. To this newbie, there's very little difference, looks wise, between the R53 and the R56 except for the fact that the new MCS has a more aggressive look.

After reading these posts though, I can certainly see why BMW worked so hard to make it as little different looking from its predecessor as possible.

I like this car. I'm very much looking forward to getting my new MCS.
Amen!

Old 01-12-2007, 07:11 PM
slag1911
4th Gear
Here are some observations from someone who's new to the Mini Cooper:

A major gripe in this thread is the 'fake' bonnet scoop. From what I read from Mini, it's not fake. It no longer feeds the intake of a supercharged engine but it does help cool the turbocharged engine...
Ummmm....... the MINI is a water cooled engine. Bottom line, the scoop is only functional as a market ploy for those who don't know better.

Another area where you can see a cost savings cut: no engine temp gauge. With a turbo charged engine, this would make me very nervous...

Old 01-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Homme
2nd Gear
I'm sorry - I have to play Devil's advocate. I realise that it's not a very important point to belabour - but I hate being misrepresented:

I appreciate that the last few pages make it seem as though the criticism is coming from only a handful of members - while the majority have fallen in love with the design - that isn't the case. This is the 15th page, the first 9-10 pages are nearly 100% critical of the design, those comments do NOT come from only a very small number of users.

Also - the negative comments are about style and design issues only. No one is arguing that the new car ISN'T a needed technological improvement on the old. While it complicates things for the performance user - it surely results in a net benefit for the average consumer. Those points aren't part of this discussion though - unless those new side-repeaters contribute the 5 extra horsepower to the MC.

Neither car has a monopoly on perfection.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:18 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Homme
I'm sorry - I have to play Devil's advocate. I realise that it's not a very important point to belabour - but I hate being misrepresented:

I appreciate that the last few pages make it seem as though the criticism is coming from only a handful of members - while the majority have fallen in love with the design - that isn't the case. This is the 15th page, the first 9-10 pages are nearly 100% critical of the design, those comments do NOT come from only a very small number of users.

Also - the negative comments are about style and design issues only. No one is arguing that the new car ISN'T a needed technological improvement on the old. While it complicates things for the performance user - it surely results in a net benefit for the average consumer. Those points aren't part of this discussion though - unless those new side-repeaters contribute the 5 extra horsepower to the MC.

I agree...For my part, I'm only reflecting my opinions specifically in respect to the exterior design execution...In this respect, I think Frank Stephenson was more sucessful of the two As a whole, it will serve BMW well...that is the primary mission of any design studio...let's hope they succeed...

Old 01-12-2007, 09:50 PM
lava
5th Gear
Come on Misfit - give over! What is your take on the wiper tray? Are there any other good solutions out there?

Old 01-12-2007, 09:58 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Come on Misfit - give over! What is your take on the wiper tray? Are there any other good solutions out there?
LOL...I'll have to give that more thought and get back to you...

Old 01-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Homme

Like you, it seemed to me that the first several pages of comments were universally negative (you mentioned 100%). It's amazing how just a few people writing negatively frequently can set that impression. Before I made this last posting, I polled the first several pages of comments. Of the first 72 people who posted, 53% made negative comments at one time or another, The rest were either neutral or positive with the positive comments holding the minority. Comments improved though as the pages progressed. Your name was not amongst those 72 so you're certainly not misrepresented, at least in the above sampling.

Those first pages mainly hit on 1) the fake hood scoop, 2) the gap between the bonnet and the fender flair, and 3) the bulbous look of the bonnet as opposed to the sensual lines of the R53 hood. As the thread continued on, pictures of the final product started appearing. The writers started mellowing once the painted tape (there to mask the real look of the R56 prior to the show circuit) was removed and the fender flaire gap diminished in width. In the end though, the graceful lines of the R53 indeed seemed to win over the less desirable lines of the R56, at least in the eyes of current Mini Cooper owners.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:10 PM
lava
5th Gear
Originally Posted by slag1911
Another area where you can see a cost savings cut: no engine temp gauge
Crap - how will I know when my roast is done?

Old 01-12-2007, 10:17 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Msfitoy I have very much appreciated your design critique and the other posters who IMO have provided real substancial commentary regarding the exterior design differences.
At first it annoyed me that there was so much negativity -- then after debating some points (and getting more mad) I realized regardless of what is written here it is each posters' opinion that is being expressed and it doesn't really mean anything in the end. That includes the opinions I agree with and those I disagree with.
If my memory serves me -- they say in some programs 'take what you need and leave the rest'.
Okay who wants to join me in singing KumBaiYah?

Old 01-12-2007, 10:35 PM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Water temp gauge please

Actually, it's prudent to wait for a sportscar to warm up before you spank it.

A bit like buying dinner before .... anyway it would be greatly appreciated if the vendors who hang out here would consider hooking a brother up with a water temp, oil pressure, oil temp gauge, or all three.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:37 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was one of the original posters who was more on the negative side of the R56 (and I still am); I've followed the thread but simply quit posting because nothing new was being said.

I don't hate the R56, and I understand what BMW was doing--making the car more accessible to the average driver. After all, that's where the bulk of there sales come from. But it comes at the expense of the enthusiast, and the rub appears that the average driver on the one hand and the enthusiast on the other can't understand each others point of view.

I'm more on the enthusiast side, which is why I went with a 2006, and hedged my bets on the 2007. Now that I've seen an R56 (although not driven one), and after reading about them, my decision wether to keep my 2006 and upgrade it with the JCW or buy a 2007 was relatively easy--I'll keep the 2006 forever. The JCW kit goes on Jan 25th (I already have the suspension and brakes; driving school and autocross here I come!).

Reasons (It's been done to death, but here it goes again):

1. Exterior. Hands down, the older generation looks better. It's not BMW's fault entirely; they had the euro pedestrian laws to deal with, but the lines on the bonnet, and the shorter glass to keep the overall height comparable make the newer version look somewhat constipated. The oversized wheel arches look out of proportion, not to mention the gaps--these are all potentially correctible though down the road. I will admit the grill on R56 Cooper is an improvement, however. I don't like the grill on the S though--I like it with slats--but I suspect this will be rectified in the future. The car also appears to sit too high, which is an optical illusion, since the ride height is comparable to the old model. It looks almost mini suvish though.

2. Interior--increasing leg room is definitely a plus on the new model, but overall it's too plasticky for my liking. However, this is correctable. Personally, overall I don't think the interior is any better or worse between the models, just different. But this is something that still has the potential to be improved upon in the future.

3. Suspension: I have the JCW suspension, and I love it. Depending on your viepoint, the new supension may be an improvement--I've read both postives and negatives. But those looking for a softer ride will like the new softer suspension.

3. Driving experience--I've read too many reports of the new Mini being tame in comparison to the older model. I want my car to snarl and growl; the newer model is more civilized. I want the car to have personality; I've read too many reports of the new Mini S, while still being fun to drive, being much more sterile (I've seen more than one article state that although the new car is slightly faster, because its been so refined, it feels slower than the outgoing model--in other words, a less visceral driving experience. This is probably the single most important factor for me. It won't be for everyone, and again, while the R56 isn't for me, I can see how it will appeal to others).

4. Engine--kind of ties into what I said above. I love the quirkiness of the supercharger; it fits the Mini S's personality better. Turbo's are dime a dozen. Granted, Mini has done an outstanding job with the new engine; it's very refined, but it comes at the cost of losing some of the edginess that made the Mini popular in the first place. I have gotten addicted to the whine of the supercharger. All of this of course comes at a cost--the newer engine is much more efficient, and gas mileage is significantly improved. Again, it comes down to what you're looking for.

Oh, and as mentioned above, the slot on the new S is nonfunctional. You don't want to cool the turbo itself too much, it'll kill it's efficiency (remember how a turbo works)--there's a very nice post about this in another thread here.

I can see both sides. What amazes me is that this fruitless arguement continues--some people will prefer the R56--actually, probably the majority will, that's what BMW was banking on in the first place--but a substantial number will still prefer the older version. I personally think for what I'm after, the R53 is signicantly superior to the R56 (Although if I couldn't have bought a 2006, would I have bought the R56? You betcha. I still would have preferred the earlier model, but not to the point that it would prevent me from buying the R56. It's still a Mini, just now quite as preferable to me as the outgoing model . But I can easily see how someone else would vastly prefer the R56).

Old 01-13-2007, 09:19 AM
slag1911
4th Gear
When the 10 cent bulb burns out and you need $10,000 for a new engine

Old 01-13-2007, 09:21 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Cct1, that was a great post. Well stated. I disagree with some of it, but that’s what opinions are all about. Like you, I can see and appreciate both sides of this argument and deciding to order a 2007 MCS, rather than buying a 2006 was no easy decision …and that’s because I find the two cars to be remarkably similar and much of these discussions are simply picking nits, especially when remaining on topic and simply comparing the two visually. Even there, strictly aesthetically, it was a toss up for me …I have likes and dislikes of both. Like I said, it was no easy decision ...and for the record, I consider myself an enthusiast. If I wasn't, I'd buy an MC.

As for the “fake” hood scoop, if MINI says it’s functional, I’m not going to argue. More importantly, it looks wicked cool and helps retain the appearance that all of the naysayers are whining about. Can you imagine the comments if the new MCS didn’t have that slot? I think the world as we know it would end.

I’ll end my post just the way you did, but in reverse. If the R56 wasn’t available would I buy an R53? You betcha!

Old 01-13-2007, 09:43 AM
lava
5th Gear
Cct1, I disagree with your assessment of the enthusiast vs the average driver. I'm not so tickled to be thrown in the lot of average driver - hmm, suv drivers, pickup drivers, camry and accord drivers, is that me? Would I be here if that was me? But I won't get my fur up about it.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:26 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
and for the record, I consider myself an enthusiast. If I wasn't, I'd buy an MC.
That was pretty thoughtless.

What the hell kind of statement is that? We Cooper owners are quite enthusiastic, tyvm. If ya love yer car, and are - now make a note of this - ENTHUSIASTIC about owning, driving, tinkering, and even looking at it, you're an enthusiast. It's not only limited to the idea that a faster car is the only one worthy of 'enthusiasm.'

Old 01-13-2007, 10:51 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
there are several threads on this site, discussion centered around the redesign, and the opinion seems split 50/50, i disagree with the assertion that (may be realized for THIS particular thread), the naysayers are only a handful posting repeated comments.

that said, although i am absolutely dedicated to the brand, the r56 simply does not speak to me like the r53 did. viewing pics posted here of numerous gaps, i just have to ask, am i willing to spend towards 30-grand for a car where i can see into the engine bay through one or more gaps? i would accept this on my sentra, but NOT my mini. this is a terrible and serious problem, and no amount of searching for justification here (one suggestion, that the gaps were "intentional" as a design fearture???) can excuse that. i keep repeating, that the r56 seems to look "cheaper" in its execution. bmw repositioned the "people's car" to a "premium" small car, so why is this the direction they've taken, and why are enthusiasts on this site accepting it? i'm really shocked and disappointed by that...

Old 01-13-2007, 11:05 AM
lava
5th Gear
Originally Posted by vladimir
i disagree with the assertion that (may be realized for THIS particular thread), the naysayers are only a handful posting repeated comments.
The assertion is not that the opinions are not split evenly. The assertion is that only a handful are rude/obnoxious about it.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Homme
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
As for the “fake” hood scoop, if MINI says it’s functional, I’m not going to argue.
I think this also highlights some of the difference between the two camps.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Homme
2nd Gear
The assertion is not that the opinions are not split evenly. The assertion is that only a handful are rude/obnoxious about it.
Oh, I'd say both sides are equal in that.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:19 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
That was pretty thoughtless.

What the hell kind of statement is that? We Cooper owners are quite enthusiastic, tyvm. If ya love yer car, and are - now make a note of this - ENTHUSIASTIC about owning, driving, tinkering, and even looking at it, you're an enthusiast. It's not only limited to the idea that a faster car is the only one worthy of 'enthusiasm.'

Spot on. Taking it a step in a slightly different direction, just like I prefer the R53 to the R56, I prefer the MC S to the Cooper--but the Cooper is an excellent car in and of its own right, and is perfectly capable as an everyday driver or on the track (There are more than a few people who would prefer to autocross a Cooper rather than a Cooper S). Again, although I prefer the S, I can see why someone would prefer the Cooper, and I wouldn't consider them any less of an enthusiast.

By enthusiast versus average driver in my previous post, I purposely made it black and white with regard to enthusiast versus average driver only to illustrate the point clearly--in reality is its an overlap with a big grey area in the middle--but most people are going to tend to want the more civilized, slightly more practicle R56--again, BMW's main concern with the R56 was to try to keep as close to the R53 as possible, while improving accessiblity to the average driver--hence the imroved ride, the fully electronic steering, etc (again, which I am not a fan of--although it improves such things as ease of parking, it comes at the expense of road feel--most people will welcome the change; myself and several reviewers don't). Sure you can be an enthusiast and still prefer the R56, I don't mean to insinuate that liking the R56 automatically puts you in the average driver club, or conversely that preferring the R53 automatically makes you an enthusiast (but I would maintain these are the trends I've seen here and at Mini2--they are by no means absolutes, but they do appear to be trends); I was going to extremes in the previous post, simply to illustrate where I think most of the enthusiast camp is coming from. Again, it comes down to personal opinion and preference.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:19 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Ahhh... another "I'm and enthusiast and you're not" series. It's allways fun to see where things go fom there!

C'mon... live and let drive, guys.

Quick Reply: R56 R53 versus R56... a visual study