R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R53 versus R56... a visual study

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:49 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
...as such, the public will be less inclined to shed full scrutiny at this time...
Thanks, I was hoping that you would answer that since you have an inside knowledge on such things.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:58 AM
fj0
5th Gear
They want attention, that's why they are giving a sneak peak.

I've learned not to make my decision before I've seen the final car and then seen it a little more.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:37 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it overall, & good work with that photo comparison, thanks!

Old 07-31-2006, 05:49 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, I finally found something I'm not thrilled about....the linear bonnet bulges, most visible on the Cooper. Perhaps it will open more striping opportunities..........but .

Now what would be really funny is if they switched bonnets just prior to the Paris Auto Show (remember the orb-ish bulge shown once upon a time on the MCS bonnet?). I mean really, why have a non-functional scoop on an MCS just to differentiate it?

Perhaps a few surprises are yet in store ........perhaps not .

Old 07-31-2006, 10:15 AM
DJA
2nd Gear
Human nature at work. Most people will find fault with the new car but it will fade..it almost always does. The new version will become the look and the old version will be just that...the old version. Right now, I too prefer the current design. But it is familiar and after the new car is a common sight, that will almost certainly change.

Having said that, I do very much dislike the Outback style plastic flares and the pretend hood scoop is just embarrassing. We may get used to it, but I think some of the changes are unfortunate.

That scoop really dilutes the functional purity of the car. Duct it into the airbox or SOMETHING.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:39 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Having said that, I do very much dislike the Outback style plastic flares and the pretend hood scoop is just embarrassing. We may get used to it, but I think some of the changes are unfortunate.
A non-functional hood scoop and big plastic flares are some of my pet peeves. When I bought the 4Runner, I bought the Limited because the Sport edition had a non-functional hood scoop and (at the time) the SR5 and Sport editions had big dark grey plastic flares, while the Limited had body-color flares. And the flares are HUGE. So although I would have saved a bit with the Sport even with identical options, it was worth it for the cosmetics.

Unfortunately I think a body-color flare on the MINI wouldn't look right, but since I'm planning on going with a dark color the effect will be minimized.

(DS/DS right now is my general intention, but I'd consider the alleged new Nightfire Red but that's allegedly going to be MC only, not MCS, and if all I have to choose from is what Motoring File reported back in June, I'll have some thinking to do.)

Old 07-31-2006, 11:41 AM
Jayde
3rd Gear
Just like I tell all of my customers, I can't judge it until I see it in person. I may not like the new style in the pictures, but all of that could change as soon as it hits the lot!! We will cross our fingers, cause if I don't like it, then I am job hunting!!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:51 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by COOPERation
Oh well, here's an idea of what the R56 would look like without the non-functional hood scoop...

I like it. I wish MINI had gone that route. The bulge on the MCS like that should have been sufficient to distinguish it.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:50 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't see a cutline on the front of the wheel arch. This would indicate to me that the flares are not attached to the clamshell bonnet and they do not go up when opening the bonnet. Hence explaining why they look bigger. The bonnet has to fit over top of the flares.

Would I be correct in this assumption?

Old 07-31-2006, 12:56 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What gets me is the big panel gap between the bonnet and the plastic arch over the front wheels. I'm hoping that is one of the changes that will be tightened up... It looks like Chevy build quality as it stands now...

Old 07-31-2006, 01:06 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Originally Posted by beken
I don't see a cutline on the front of the wheel arch. This would indicate to me that the flares are not attached to the clamshell bonnet and they do not go up when opening the bonnet. Hence explaining why they look bigger. The bonnet has to fit over top of the flares.

Would I be correct in this assumption?
Yes.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
musumekiller
1st Gear
nice pics

thx

Old 07-31-2006, 01:30 PM
DJA
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by agranger
What gets me is the big panel gap between the bonnet and the plastic arch over the front wheels. I'm hoping that is one of the changes that will be tightened up... It looks like Chevy build quality as it stands now...
If this is indeed the final design here (and I don't imagine that will change at this point) then there has to be a space to prevent the edge of the hood from contacting the flare when slammed down. The design will require a panel gap there... Unless the hood is intended to go just behind the edge of the flare, and it doesn't look that way. Fairly precise design and production work will be needed to keep this neat...

Either way, this will likely accentuate an already larger plastic flare.

The more I compare the new to the old, the more I dislike the new "clamshell" look. There will be a gap above the flares and a gap around the headlights that is not needed now. I hope the production car will have minimal gaps, but they will be there. Having the headlights and a portion of the flare on the bonnet gives a more precision look to the current car. My opinion.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:41 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by COOPERation
Oh well, here's an idea of what the R56 would look like without the non-functional hood scoop...
Oh.....you said "here's an idea..." I am so stupid...I was thinking those were actual Cooper shots instead of Photoshopped versions of the MCS sans scoop. My bad. I think, if they actually did remove the scoop they may be able to re-sculpt the bonnet to look much better.

In any case , I'll still keep a flicker of hope alive that the Cooper bonnet will look less bulbous.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:07 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DJA

Great pic! I can see the need for the gap, but that doesn't change the fact that it's butt-ugly!

Old 07-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Fool68
2nd Gear
I've been lurking for a while, but I'll make this my first post. Nobody's mentioning this, but from an Engineering standpoint, those peek-a-boo holes in the bonnet for the headlights are going to be a problem. You can see in the picture above where the bonnet is up that there is very little reinforcement around the bottom portion of the opening. Same is true on the more recent pictures on MINI2. Any kind of distortion on that opening and you're going mess up fit and probably damage the headlight. Worse yet, the holes are natural hand grabs. Won't be long before somebody loses a finger closing the bonnet. MINI's trying to save production $$ without affecting appeal of the headlights' appearance. This just doesn't seem to be a wise approach.

As for me, I bought my 2006 MCS in April. I'll stand in the camp with those who aren't happy with the changes. Most of those opinions have been covered, but nobody mentioned the (functional) bonnet holes.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:18 PM
DJA
2nd Gear
Great pic! I can see the need for the gap, but that doesn't change the fact that it's butt-ugly!
IMO, there is much character loss here. Having the bonnet stop short of the base of the windshield (with the floating chromed edge) looks soooo GM. I already miss the small cowl panel with the intake grills and the wiper mounts - very old school. Bean counters have obviously entered the design rooms. (including the fake scoop, the "bonnet" is becoming the biggest letdown in the new design... on the outside at least)

Old 07-31-2006, 03:25 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
I hope BMW's fit/finish will be able to pull this off...that's six areas to align---two fender lips, two head lamps, cowl and bumper... Good Luck!

edit...ok, so the cowl will be less noticable but I'm concerned about the concentric circle around the headlamps...imagine having to centralise the headlamps inside the shut lines and then aligning the projection pattern

Old 07-31-2006, 03:28 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by DJA
IMO, there is much character loss here. Having the hood stop short of the base of the windshield (with the floating chromed edge) looks soooo GM. I already miss the small cowl panel with the intake grills and the wiper mounts - very old school. Bean counters have obviously entered the design rooms. (including the fake scoop, the "bonnet" is becoming the biggest letdown in the new design... on the outside at least)

Definitely agree here...the reason for the sunken hood with our generation was to emphasize the muscular bulge of the fenders and central hump...The new design is well executed but lacks the "sex" of the "old" version IMDO (in my designers opinion)

And what's so wrong about GM?

Old 07-31-2006, 04:53 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than them going bankrupt?!

Old 07-31-2006, 05:05 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Originally Posted by DJA
I don't mind the cowl grilles going away, but the addition of the large "leaf tray" under the wiper blades looks off to me. The chrome lip on the back of the bonnet isn't sitting with me all that well either.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:44 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mini-mine
Other than them going bankrupt?!
Don't count on it...my lively hood depends on them...

Old 07-31-2006, 09:43 PM
DJA
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I hope BMW's fit/finish will be able to pull this off...that's six areas to align---two fender lips, two head lamps, cowl and bumper... Good Luck!

edit...ok, so the cowl will be less noticable but I'm concerned about the concentric circle around the headlamps...imagine having to centralise the headlamps inside the shut lines and then aligning the projection pattern
Heaven forbid a fender bender that damages the bonnet. Then you have to hope your local body man is a magician who can get everything back in proper alignment. The current car is much more forgiving in this regard. If the hinges are mounted correctly, the bonnet nearly falls into place. Let's hope the precision of the new car will allow for the same result, but there are so many more opportunities for a bad fit.

Man, I am not liking that new bonnet design.... I'm bothered from both an aesthetic and functional standpoint.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 PM
StompRocket
2nd Gear
Wow... thanks for posting all the pics. I am in the camp that likes the current design better, but I couldn't exactly pick out all the details as to why. I know there are plenty that have voiced that they don't like some of the changes, and I am sure there are those afraid to post that they like it. I wonder if there is a way to do a poll so e could get some percentages for and against?

Old 07-31-2006, 10:08 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Fool68
Nobody's mentioning this, but from an Engineering standpoint, those peek-a-boo holes in the bonnet for the headlights are going to be a problem.
You mentioned it and I agree. It's gonna hurt. However I'm gratified that the changes are not as great as between the Austin Cooper and the MINI.

Quick Reply: R56 R53 versus R56... a visual study