R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R53 versus R56... a visual study

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:18 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
No doubt in my mind the 53 looks better than the 56.
Yes, I agree with Dean...that picture is quite old. There is no way to compare R53 press photos with the old masked ones of R56. The discussion has moved way past that by now.

Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
I think that a few people are getting bent out of shape over nothing.
As for people getting bent out of shape...lines were apparently crossed. Not sure where, but apparently that happened and when that happens then other things happen, usually involving the moderators. Opinions are fairly well tolerated...it's crossing the line (and site guidelenes) that are an issue.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:09 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C4
Skiploder or Chris Neal have not posted here in the past week. I suspect they too were silenced in despite of their civil debate.
Nonsense. I've been posting plenty, but it's been on topics like Pete Doherty, Paris Hilton, American Idol, and people who don't shovel their sidewalks.

Since when is it inflammatory to call the R56 bulbous? I think it is bulbous. And grotesque? That word hadn't occurred to me, but I think it fits, too ("odd or unnatural in shape, appearance, or character"). It's only because I think my R50 is perfect. To me, the R56 looks like the R50/53 in a funhouse mirror, like a creepy Ray Bradbury story where everything and everyone is slightly deformed from the way it really should look. The wheel gaps make it look like a dune buggy, and I have a 20-year old Swatch watch that's more attractive than that center stack.

See, though, there's a difference between expressing opinions like these and barging my way into every thread and yammering about them incessantly, intentionally pushing people's buttons and getting their hackles up (so to speak). That is what you've been doing a bit lately, C4. I do hope you stick around, but I agree with whoever requested that you not lay it on quite so thick all the time.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:40 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
CHUBBY...BIG BONED...FATSO...1st Amendment...

Old 03-01-2007, 04:44 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Come on.

Somebody say it . . .

'I know you are, but what am ?!'

Oh wait. I said it.

Zip

Old 03-01-2007, 04:45 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gokartride
The discussion has moved way past that by now.
Apparently not.

dean.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisneal
Since when is it inflammatory to call the R56 bulbous? I think it is bulbous.
I prefer to think my car has more junk in the trunk (I dont EVEN wanna hear anyone start complaining "Its a boot!" )

Old 03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the look of my R53. What disturbs me is that one day I will either choose to or need to replace it and when that time arrives I'll want to feel the same kind of magic about the appearance of it's replacement, both inside and out. Unfortunately, if it was today the R56 just wouldn't have the same kind of effect on me. It's not that I wouldn't buy one, but I'd much rather love the looks as much or more than my current model. I think this explains my disappointment and perhaps it is what lies at the bottom of the frustration and criticism coming from other current first gen owners. I like the look of the R56, but I can't say that I love it like my R53.....and wish I could.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Herby74
I like the look of the R56, but I can't say that I love it like my R53.....and wish I could.
I think that sums up my feelings quite nicely too Herby

Old 03-01-2007, 06:40 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
I love the look of my R53. What disturbs me is that one day I will either choose to or need to replace it and when that time arrives I'll want to feel the same kind of magic about the appearance of it's replacement, both inside and out. Unfortunately, if it was today the R56 just wouldn't have the same kind of effect on me. It's not that I wouldn't buy one, but I'd much rather love the looks as much or more than my current model. I think this explains my disappointment and perhaps it is what lies at the bottom of the frustration and criticism coming from other current first gen owners. I like the look of the R56, but I can't say that I love it like my R53.....and wish I could.
Of course you love the look of the R53 ...what's not to love? It's gorgeous.

As for the R56 ...like the R53 and the R50 before it, it will change ...and then that model will change and so on. The day may well come when you look at the R56 and it will look better to you ...it may even look good.

I remember when the 'Vette went from the '67 body style to the '68 ...that was a radical change and I was convinced it was the beginning of the end. I hated the '68 ...but in the early '70s it began to look really good to me and now I think it looks great.

Time has a way of changing things like that.

dean.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
.... The day may well come when you look at the R56 and it will look better to you ...it may even look good.
He already said he liked the look of the R56

Old 03-01-2007, 06:47 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by bamatt
He already said he liked the look of the R56
Yes he did ...and the time may come when he loves it.

Or, it may not.

dean.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:09 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
Hey, wait a minute, I happen to like 'em thicker. Nothing wrong with that, right.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:52 PM
msh441
6th Gear
R53's chubby brother...
The R56 is NOT CHUBBY!!!

...it's just big boned...

Old 03-02-2007, 11:03 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
[QUOTE: C4] The MCO and NAM of yesteryear were sites that allowed debate and different point of views. That not such the case anymore! This is why I believe these sites no longer present unbiased points of view.

... I do miss greatly that old Minicooperonline.com message board where everybody freely shared their points of view and experiences in a friendly and courteous atmosphere without resorting to personal attacks and heavy handed moderation...

MINI knows that the R56 design has compromises that will sooner or later aliniate their loyal customer base. This car has a carcophany of design issues that are unacceptable from a company that so successfully brought back to life the MINI after what it looked like a terminal death... [QUOTE: C4]

these are pretty disturbing observations that C4 makes... ! although i have noticed, a significant deal of competition (antagonizm?) to negative comments about the r56, i have taken that as honest "passion" for a point of view, while also being taken aback as you say, that negativity is attacked with a lot of vigor! one poster plainly labeled my comments as "hysterics" and questioned why i was even on this site/why i was even further interested in the MINI... etc.

i have seen some of what is described above on some of the threads in this site. but not to the extent that NAM moderators would be excising comments or shutting off threads. is the thought that a mash of mixed commentary, which includes a (perceived) proportion of criticizm, would be a threat to the site's future?

i've gotten some (in my opionion), very "not thought out" criticizms (of other posts of mine), and sure, been very angry. but i still come every time i can/want to though. i think, to an extent, my rantings on this site are a form of working through my grief... !! i simply was not able to get another new MINI before the Sept. US deadline...

Old 03-02-2007, 11:08 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Vladimir, have you been to MINI of Fairfield County in Stamford? They have lots of R53s left and are willing to deal.

http://minifairfieldcounty.com/New-Inventory.aspx

dean.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:29 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
vladimir, you definitely need to keep driving your R53, buddy!!

What I think is sad is that some owners have chosen to allow their opinions of R56 design to be so extremely polarize that they 1) can't look an R56 in the face w/ out becoming sick, 2) allow themselves to become disassociated with the MINI community over it, 3) carelessly offend new owners/enthisuasts now buying R56s. I'm all for personal preferences, but R50/53 and R56 are not so dissimilar as to cause such excessive angst and drama.

To those buying (or planning to buy) R56s: the car is great!!
gokartride, you point out problems with this site, and, the discussion in general! any REAL and open discussion about the r56 design, may naturally yield a broad range of opinion, a certain measure of which would of course be very polarized. there are plenty of posts on this thread, as well as others, which are positive, even, "passionately so." neither myself, or i feel, any of the posters who are disappointed/dislike/hate the r56 representing views which are any less valid because they "disagree" with other posters. that is what this site is all about. i've spent a lot of time here, and enjoyed it a great deal-- (i even learned how, among other things, 1] how to get my car in reverse when it can't be shifted-- and i mean BOTH of my MINI's!-- and, 2] how to get my shift **** off to upgrade to an aftermarket product...).

but, you seem to imply that my "passion," because it is "negative," is therefore "extreme" and "polarizing," and further, that i have chosen to "carelessly offend" new posters or new (r56) buyers/owners. THAT i am offended by! nothing could be further from the truth! indeed, it has disturbed me greatly to post my negative views about the r56 on this site, since i realize that obviously they may be read by r56 owners or buyers waiting for thier orders to arrive. i am VERY concerned about that and it would NEVER be my intention. but, if while i communicate/share my thoughts on this site, i am forced by this realization to limit (censor??) my comments, then, the discussion becomes neutered, does it not?

to criticize passionate discussion, (for example, a poster here who remarks that s/he will run the current car into the groung and "... then move onto something else..") as "angst," is not fair at all. it is, rather, a fair representation of "passion" for the MINI. we, everyone on this site, all of us-- are the creative/adventurous types who have made BMW's MINI what it is today. many of us RAN to get this car five years ago: indeed, the first time i even sat in BMW's MINI is when i drove my car HOME after a order wait of many months-- when i originally visited the dealer to order, i simply walked past the models on the floor-- a "test drive" never entered my head! why is it that "angst" regarding what we perceive as design compromises/mistakes is not seen more honestly and positively?

Old 03-02-2007, 11:43 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
OK... now THAT is what i meant!!!!!! thank you, herby74!

i will now back off since i would not be able to challenge the claim that i am monopolizing this thread. i've just seen a lot of interesting comments here, and am deficient at quoting them all in one message. good luck to all... !

Old 03-02-2007, 12:57 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vladimir
may naturally yield a broad range of opinion, a certain measure of which would of course be very polarized.
Maybe so, but I find that sad, especially with extremely polarized views. To me aethetics are never totally black and white, and when they become so something is lost and a type of myopia prevails. That, to me, is sad.

THAT i am offended by!.
No need to be. Some lines were crossed, apparently, and I really don't know who was involved. I do believe it was done with little consideration of others and was mean-spirited. My comment was not directed at you or any one person, I just think it's sad that somehow our "passion" got out of hand, site guidelines were crossed, and people were hurt.

"angst," is not fair at all. it is, rather, a fair representation of "passion" for the MINI.
Passion is fine...angst is a step past that and can have negative consequences. I don't see that R50/53 - R56 as so diametrically opposed so as to cause lines to be crossed.

Vladimir....I consider you a true lover of R50 aethetics and I applaud that. I am, too, in my own way...although somehow (not sure how really) I've managed to make room for R56...but that's neither here nor there. I personally am a lover of Coopers...it's the car I know and love best. I have little interest in the MCS. I guess what I'm saying is that owners can have their preferences and be very focused about it. I certainly have mine, and I do respect yours...more than you probably know.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:10 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
I think you made a great point Gokartride. I have seen you post in countless threads, and it is pretty well known that your love is for coopers and not the MCS. Nobody deems that you hate the MCS or otherwise but rather that it isnt your cup of tea for your own reasons. No one should be able to say my OPINION is correct. and that is part of the problem I believe going on.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:22 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Yes...as the marque expands we will probably all have our favorite niches within the MINI universe. Seems quite natural. Heck, in someways I'm still lamenting the loss of the 4-slat grill and bumper strips!

Old 03-02-2007, 01:53 PM
paulgrant
1st Gear
BMW had no choice in redesigning the Mini do to the new Euro crash regs. I think what they tried to do was to keep as much as they could as the version one while incorporating the required changes. To make the hood look less bulbous they had to raise the belt line. This meant they had to make the fender covers thicker it visually would no looked to skewed. I have not seen a new R56 up close but from photos it looks OK. It appears there is more plastic and it does not appear to be as curvy, I'm guessing to keep production costs down. My only real gripe is the rear bumper tail pipe design. Version 1 seems better integrated to me. Version 2 seems a bit awkward as if the tail pipes are hanging off the car.(My personal opinion only). Because the car is an icon and sold so well the 1st time BMW must have really struggled to come up with an update on this. From the photos they are generally successful. The interior seats seem nicer to look at. I don't favor the split toggle switches on the ceiling and I don't like how they did the center console but I could life with it if the driving experience is as good as the original.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:12 AM
tasomini
3rd Gear
Hush Boys.... You're All Pretty!

Old 03-03-2007, 07:39 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
He may be cute but he still chubby...

Old 03-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
He may be cute but he still chubby...
msh441 is right Sid, the R56 is big boned, not chubby. It's big boned because it's lighter than the R53 If it was heavier, then it'd be chubby. It doesn't look like a quarterback anymore, more like a defensive lineman!

Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Well thanks to you folks I made yet another trip up to the MINI dealer (around the corner) to peruse the R56s....just to see if my eyes are playing tricks on me. That's my excuse this time anyway.

I think the R56 bonnet is almost a perfect middle ground between the R50 bonnet and the R53 bonnet, and of course the R56 bonnet has almost the same (if not the exactly the same) profile for MC and MCS, which I think is nice.

Quick Reply: R56 R53 versus R56... a visual study