R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R53 versus R56... a visual study

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:14 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GRMPer
Looks to me like much of the length difference is in the front overhang...
I believe there's a bit added to the rear, too.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:51 PM
chopper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we'll all get where we won't hate the looks of the new car at some point, that being said, don't insult us with a phoney hood scoop! If all those eng. at BMW can't figure out how to make it actually function to the benefit of performance, leave it off. While I really like the look on our current car, as a performance enthusiast I'm embarrased that they put that on the car with no purpose! On the inside; I don't think I can ever warm up to the new dash if looks like the pre-prod. photos! It's lost the character of the current model. I haven't seen any real good shots of the seats, but the one I did see seems as they may have improved them, we'll see! Hope the stitching on the English Seats is better. I did like the toggle switches in the overhead console! As far as the new engine, only time will tell. I've owned a 280z turbo, Conquest TSi, 930 Turbo, 300ZX Twin Turbo and a Buick Limited T-Type and had good luck with all those motors, however I really liked the 5.0 GT car I built with a SC. I think a SC whine seems more pleasing to the ears, but thats me. Quality Control will be the "Name Of The Game" for the new car.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:02 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
That's what I think is special about the current gen MCS...SC...how many production cars today have SC vs. Turbo? "Not that there's anything wrong with that"...but, Blowers Rock!!!

Old 08-13-2006, 12:22 AM
justintime
6th Gear
I think its one of those styles that grows on people. Granted now the older MCS looks cleaner but I can tell that might change the more I look at them

Old 08-13-2006, 08:44 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
That very well may be true, but the R53 just hit me like a ton o' bricks when I saw it. The R56 is just another car, imho.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:52 AM
biz
2nd Gear
well, i like it that they are bringing back the yellow color

Old 08-13-2006, 05:49 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Interesting evaluations of the 2007's. I went through the same thing when (the new) Triumph motorcycles went away from the georgeous T595/955i bodies (with the single sided swingarm) to the very-japanese looking angular 955i Daytona with the two-sided boxy rear end. This won't make any sence to those outside of the euro-sport bike community, but the bottom line is, I get it... but times change as do designs.

I'm still going to buy a 2007. I'm on the waiting list and waiting to solidify the details and accessories. There are a couple of things I don't like about the 2007 S pictured: Fake scoop!?! C'mon, make it do SOMETHING or get rid of it! Plus the winshield wiper tray on the new car looks cheesy.

I am willing to settle for these design two questionable charactoristics, though... especially when the suggested performace gains on the new, lighter TURBO car are looking pretty appealing.

I am however crossing my fingers that some restyling and re-enginering is done before the assembaly line starts cranking them out.

We'll see, I guess.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:04 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
I remember when the MINI was still in the "rumor" phase (2000?) and we were seeing possible styles before the offical release. The style I really liked (which knocked my socks off) was not the one chosen and while disappointed, I was still very pleased with the final result. Now that I can finally buy one, I'm choosing the 2007. I'm not thrilled with all the changes (ditto msh441, the hood scoop and wiper tray), the turbo with it's increased HP and MPG along with the front grille and rear bumper make this version very appealling to me. My name's on the list and I'll be one of the first group to get a 2007 MCS here in Bay Area.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Griff
2nd Gear
After seeing these pictures we are glad we ordered an 2006.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:21 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
A few more comparison shots with some of the latest press shots...

Note...some of the photos have been flipped and rotated for comparison reasons, nothing has been edited within the content of each photo.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:28 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
OMG, there is no comparison, now that the new cars are fully revealed. The 53's grace and style has been abandoned on the 56.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:52 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The new '07 mini is awesome

I'm glad I waited. I really like the look of the new car. Interior etc.. also now that it is 22lbs lighter and the fuel economy is so much better I'm just really glad I waited.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:36 PM
justintime
6th Gear
it looks good. exhaust on the left now?

Old 08-14-2006, 07:06 PM
WEEGIT
2nd Gear
Yea, and they decided to spell Cooper backwards and put it on the left side too That way the masses can tell the difference

Old 08-14-2006, 07:24 PM
StompRocket
2nd Gear
A couple of things come to my mind now that the '07 is fully revealed...

1. "My what big ears you have!"
2. Botox

I hope the '07 grows on me because it won't change again anytime soon!

Old 08-14-2006, 07:37 PM
camelpilot
Banned
This new car reminds me of the story of the Emporer's New Clothes.

CANT YOU PEOPLE SEE HOW HIDEOUS THIS CAR IS????

FOR THEM TO CALL IT THE SAME NAME AS MINE IS JUST BLASPHEMY!

Old 08-14-2006, 07:38 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like the Cooper is getting the Cooper "S" side skirts.

That's an improvment IMO.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:54 PM
msh441
6th Gear
It doesn't look as bad now that all the masking tape is off. The headlightls are noticably rotated to the sides and the hoods doesn't have as many beautiful curves... It looks a little tall and bulbous... but none of it appears to be anything that a set of 18" BBS 2-piece rims and a 1-1 and 1/2 inch drop on Koni or H&R springs wont fix!

Old 08-14-2006, 08:48 PM
justintime
6th Gear
well I dont like how the humps on the hood are pretty much gone. thats what made the mini all euro and unique to me. the cooper reminds me of a neon now kinda.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:04 PM
vladimir
3rd Gear
Old 08-16-2006, 12:11 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by vladimir
Absolutely. I could not have said this better myself!

In almost every way, this car seems to betray what the original design was about. The emphasis, (the INSISTENCE!), THAT
that what?

Old 08-16-2006, 12:18 PM
vladimir
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by camelpilot
This new car reminds me of the story of the Emporer's New Clothes.

FOR THEM TO CALL IT THE SAME NAME AS MINE IS JUST BLASPHEMY!

In almost every way, this car seems to betray what the original design was about. The emphasis, (the INSISTENCE!), that every aspect of the car be changed, made bigger, wider, longer, etc., is so disturbing. I have never had the slightest issue with front seat room, (I am 6'2"), regardless of my passenger. Yet this new design team has tossed the interior with the charge to increase room in every direction, (and so doing, created a dash which I feel will become forgetable very quickly), enlarged the lights, (very ugly, particularly in the rear), blown up (and disturbed) its exterior proportions, and increased boot space. I DON'T NEED OR WANT increased boot space! The MINI is what it is! This team should have taken some time to try and UNDERSTAND the Mini heritage and what the car was created to accomplish! The R53 is already big enough, (and several years on, has been copied by so many manufacturers-- and in some cases, pretty well, too-- and is no longer the shortest/smallest car on the road as it was a couple of years back), adding to that is such a shame, and an ignorance of what made it so special, so appealing, (so British?), and yes, so cute, (even if that is not part of what an "S" owner is after!). The original design team endured endless work (and "combat" with the various safety/design engineering teams) to keep the new MINI as small as possible. Meanwhile, the "face" of the car is diminished, (comon, that's undeniable!!), the "grill" reduced, (what? shrink one of the most ichonic features of the car??), and looks cheapened by moving the running/turn indicators into the headlight cluster). The R56 seems so geared toward broadening the sales base of the car, and it will probably do that. For me, I am terribly sad at all this, I've owned two (02/05) and unfortunately cannot replace my current car now, there is not enough time.

No, camelpilot has this one accurately portrayed.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by vladimir

In almost every way, this car seems to betray what the original design was about. The emphasis, (the INSISTENCE!), that every aspect of the car be changed, made bigger, wider, longer, etc., is so disturbing. I have never had the slightest issue with front seat room, (I am 6'2"), regardless of my passenger. Yet this new design team has tossed the interior with the charge to increase room in every direction, (and so doing, created a dash which I feel will become forgetable very quickly), enlarged the lights, (very ugly, particularly in the rear), blown up (and disturbed) its exterior proportions, and increased boot space. I DON'T NEED OR WANT increased boot space! The MINI is what it is! This team should have taken some time to try and UNDERSTAND the Mini heritage and what the car was created to accomplish! The R53 is already big enough, (and several years on, has been copied by so many manufacturers-- and in some cases, pretty well, too-- and is no longer the shortest/smallest car on the road as it was a couple of years back), adding to that is such a shame, and an ignorance of what made it so special, so appealing, (so British?), and yes, so cute, (even if that is not part of what an "S" owner is after!). The original design team endured endless work (and "combat" with the various safety/design engineering teams) to keep the new MINI as small as possible. Meanwhile, the "face" of the car is diminished, (comon, that's undeniable!!), the "grill" reduced, (what? shrink one of the most ichonic features of the car??), and looks cheapened by moving the running/turn indicators into the headlight cluster). The R56 seems so geared toward broadening the sales base of the car, and it will probably do that. For me, I am terribly sad at all this, I've owned two (02/05) and unfortunately cannot replace my current car now, there is not enough time.

No, camelpilot has this one accurately portrayed.
Care to comment in my thread?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d+dead+fingers

Old 08-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Rachmunas
Neutral
I personally love the present look which can never get old as we all know. I always aknowledge every Mini I see (which is a lot).. I also think the new look is sleeker and more modern looking. I have been holding off on the Mini since seeing the first 07' pics and will stand by this. But everyone has their own opinion's of course.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:01 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by camelpilot
Nope, I can't, I like it a lot and fully expect to love it after the first drive.

Quick Reply: R56 R53 versus R56... a visual study