R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R53 versus R56... a visual study

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 09:43 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence
Oh and for all of you R56 haters out there--good money is betting that at least 75% of y'all will flip-flop once you've seen and driven the new car.
Heck, there's a number of folks out there who consider the R53 to be a travesty as it's not a "true Mini".

There will be fans of both. This isn't the Mustang vs Mustang II, or TR6 vs TR7, after all, no matter what some folks say.

The biggest complaints will remain in the autocross/performance community, because it's a different platform. These are the folks who debate MINI vs GTI, for example.

Heck, I started to reconsider for various reasons, but I don't like the looks of any other "competing" vehicles at all, and to get a fun to drive car that *I* like the looks of and *I* like the features of and has enough interior room for my height and girth, well, there really isn't one out there right now. I'd end up going with an Scion xB, or maybe an Accord or Camry Hybrid.

Besides, it's going to be interesting being in a two-MINI household. We might have to double-up for trips to Costco.

-W-

Old 09-21-2006, 10:17 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
A MINI2 writeup on an MCS test drive states that "the car now sits as low as the law will allow in terms of ground clearance." Interesting appearance-related factoid, I thought.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:23 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dwdyer
Heck, there's a number of folks out there who consider the R53 to be a travesty as it's not a "true Mini".
Yeah...it's great to be able to sneek into British cars shows in a German car

Old 09-24-2006, 03:56 PM
minifiddler
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it just me, or do you guys see any resemblance between the new R56 cooper and Birdo from SMario2 ???

Old 09-24-2006, 04:11 PM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
That's a hot comparison.

I applaud that.

He should be the new mini emblem for 2007.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Brihyanna
6th Gear
That comparison is too funny.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:23 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minifiddler
is it just me
Apparently it's not, but I sure don't see it. If we're talking resemblances...and I could pick anything, cartoon or not, I'd have to say it looks most closely like our present MINI, but I guess that's the intention.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:54 AM
MY_05_BRG
1st Gear
my 2 pennys

to me it looks like an austin martin in the front
the single stright exhust easy aftermarket replacemet at a cheaper price
fender flares are to much they need to tone them down a bit

Old 09-25-2006, 08:57 AM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
it looks too regular european hum drum.

it also looks cheaper to make. Lo and Behold! it is!

Old 09-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Col.Bobby
2nd Gear
What a big NOSE you have, R56

In a couple of pics it seems that the R56 has had the front end stretched. The slope from above the scoop down to the bumper is not so steep. The snub-nose bulldog look is dimished. HATE IT!

Old 10-16-2006, 08:06 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by El_Jefe

Some say this wont affect sales. How is that? everyone on forums likes the previous design, the VAST majority of the public does as well.

they fixed something that wasnt broke on account of greed. Let's see how well that plan works.

well put!

its terribly depressing, to keep hearing comments that people don't notice the visual difference, terribly depressing!

Old 10-16-2006, 03:50 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
It's a car, Jim!...not to be confused with a cheating wife!

Get over it! Your posts about "betrayal" by BMW with the new R56...hey, that's when you're wife is found in bed with her boss, not some upgrades and changes to a car! You say you're "sad", "very sad", you find the car "depressing" or even "very depressing". Have you read a newspaper lately? Now THAT is depressing! Continually referring to the car as HORRIBLE, when the average Joe wouldn't notice the differences, pretty much reveals your viewpoint. But that's all it is...your viewpoint.
Here's how to get over it. Go find a minty 62 Cooper. Buy it. Now THAT's a Mini before the real betrayal went down...ROLLUP WINDOWS! And the guys that believe that (they're out there) are in the same league with the guys who will tell you it's not a "real" Bug unless it has an oval rear window (57 and back). Seriously, your negative posts and histrionics over the new car have caused you to lose any credibility, I'd guess.. You're the senior "Negative Nellie" of this forum. Bask in the glory. You've earned it.

Originally Posted by vladimir

Old 10-16-2006, 03:53 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
And the guys that believe that (they're out there) are in the same league with the guys who will tell you it's not a "real" Bug unless it has an oval rear window (57 and back).
It's not a real Bug unless it has a _split_ window.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:19 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by COOPERation
A visual comparison using official press photos past and present...R53 on the left and R56 on the right.

Note...some of the photos have been flipped and rotated for comparison reasons, nothing has been edited within the content of each photo.
wow that really puts it into perspective. so glad i kept my 04. it looks much more finished and expensive .

Old 10-16-2006, 04:20 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
Get over it! Your posts about "betrayal" by BMW with the new R56...hey, that's when you're wife is found in bed with her boss, not some upgrades and changes to a car! You say you're "sad", "very sad", you find the car "depressing" or even "very depressing". Have you read a newspaper lately? Now THAT is depressing! Continually referring to the car as HORRIBLE, when the average Joe wouldn't notice the differences, pretty much reveals your viewpoint. But that's all it is...your viewpoint.
Here's how to get over it. Go find a minty 62 Cooper. Buy it. Now THAT's a Mini before the real betrayal went down...ROLLUP WINDOWS! And the guys that believe that (they're out there) are in the same league with the guys who will tell you it's not a "real" Bug unless it has an oval rear window (57 and back). Seriously, your negative posts and histrionics over the new car have caused you to lose any credibility, I'd guess.. You're the senior "Negative Nellie" of this forum. Bask in the glory. You've earned it.
and these upgrades are where?

Old 10-16-2006, 04:23 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Purists!

You are absolutely right, and I STAND CORRECTED... but don't forget it HAS TO HAVE SEMAPHOR turn signals too. Mechanical brakes are a plus. Nothing too archaic for the purists. And THANK YOU for catching my drift on this!

Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
It's not a real Bug unless it has a _split_ window.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:26 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer

There will be fans of both. This isn't the Mustang vs Mustang II, or TR6 vs TR7, after all, no matter what some folks say.

The biggest complaints will remain in the autocross/performance community, because it's a different platform. These are the folks who debate MINI vs GTI, for example.

Heck, I started to reconsider for various reasons, but I don't like the looks of any other "competing" vehicles at all, and to get a fun to drive car that *I* like the looks of and *I* like the features of and has enough interior room for my height and girth, well, there really isn't one out there right now. I'd end up going with an Scion xB, or maybe an Accord or Camry Hybrid.

Besides, it's going to be interesting being in a two-MINI household. We might have to double-up for trips to Costco.

-W-
here is a fact; there was nothing visually wrong with the 53. some mechanical problems were being worked out. the car was fine . WHY change it . really i could care less ;i'm happy as hell with the 04 . but some day i'm gonna want another mini.... therein lies the problem.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:32 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Hey Doris, are your ashtrays full??

Uh, the engine compartment, maybe?

Originally Posted by herbie hind
and these upgrades are where?

Old 10-16-2006, 04:43 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Don't count on it...my lively hood depends on them...
please design a new comaro that DOESNT look like the new mustang . thx .

Old 10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by agranger
Unfortunately, I believe that this design change was mandated by the European pedestrian safety laws. If you hit a pedestrian and shatter the bones in the lower half of their body, they might then be flipped up onto the bonnet where the posts of the wiper blades may give them a nasty bruise.
true....probably better now what with running them completely over.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:52 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I'm soooo happy I have an 03
guess we gotta take real good care of our babies . know anyone to call for resleeving ? lol . the only way i'm going is this 04 and a classic later.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:06 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by COOPERation
A few more comparison shots with some of the latest press shots...

Note...some of the photos have been flipped and rotated for comparison reasons, nothing has been edited within the content of each photo.
hey nice shots..... all the 53's look great!!!

Old 10-16-2006, 05:08 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
I'm glad I waited. I really like the look of the new car. Interior etc.. also now that it is 22lbs lighter and the fuel economy is so much better I'm just really glad I waited.
did you sell your pacer? what'd you get for it ?

Old 10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WEEGIT
Yea, and they decided to spell Cooper backwards and put it on the left side too That way the masses can tell the difference
WOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2006, 05:14 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
First, get up on the roof!

You need to get up on the roof of your house and shout those two CAPS lines in your original post down below, and use a bullhorn in order to get the full effect on this major "announcement" of yours. I suggest you drink at least a twelve pack before you climb up there, just to catch the proper tone.
"HIDEOUS"..."BLASPHEMY"... you've blown your cover. Take your meds.
Now read this definition from Webster's...
"Blasphemy: irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable." NOTE: Nowhere can I find a statement from BMW promising to never change or "violate" the original new Mini. It's their car, their factory, they can damn well do what they want. Just like you can drive what you want. You don't like it, don't buy it. Hell, go all out...flip off every R56 you see. Walk up to every R56 owner and give him a piece of your mind. Tell him his new car is a piece of crap. Be sure and let us know what hospital you're in, so we can send flowers.

Seriously, you guys need to calm down. Or maybe you think that BMW is going to listen to a bunch of self proclaimed experts turned major league whiners.
If you want to be a purist, go buy an original 62 Cooper. Then you can tell everybody with rollup windows all about it.

Originally Posted by camelpilot
This new car reminds me of the story of the Emporer's New Clothes.

CANT YOU PEOPLE SEE HOW HIDEOUS THIS CAR IS????

FOR THEM TO CALL IT THE SAME NAME AS MINE IS JUST BLASPHEMY!

Quick Reply: R56 R53 versus R56... a visual study