R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R53 versus R56... a visual study

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:17 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ncdave
OK, I'm giving this way more thought than I should but I'm thinking seriously about getting a second Mini so just give me a little latitude: Perhaps we're all being a little unfair (myself included) when comparing our cars to the new model - maybe we need to ask ourselves the question "Would we buy this car if the earlier version was never produced?" After all, anyone on this forum obviously loves the original version so we're a little biased. Viewed on those terms, the new Mini does in fact remain true to the concept and is a great little car with loads of personality.

Just a thought.
take a good long look at a classic and then ask yourself which of the new models looks more like it . if i saw this 07 and hadn't seen an 04 i would not buy it as it really doesn't look at all like a classic .

Old 10-16-2006, 05:20 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
A reminder to all the R56 haters: the old style cabrio remains available for another two years. Now start up the complaints that the cabrio is not a "real" MINI...
who want a flexi=flier?

Old 10-16-2006, 05:23 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
man this is soooo corporate remake a movie ; spend money to develope a beautiful product, build a cult following around the product; promote.promote,promote..... then when you got the interest up with onlookers ; whaaaaaaMM!!!!! cut production costs!

Old 10-17-2006, 07:01 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by herbie hind
cut production costs!
You can do so only if you continue to meet customer expectations and even offer improvements on the original package. R56 does this.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:03 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
You can do so only if you continue to meet customer expectations and even offer improvements on the original package. R56 does this.
wow ... man the car's a hack job they coulda put a turbo in the currently styled car or very very near to it . but why do you suppose not . most all here say it's a pos style wise . why if not for greed would they risk loss in return customers?

Old 10-17-2006, 04:55 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
herbie,
have you not heard about the new safety regulations? I dont think anyone at BMW said "what? we have to make it bigger? WOOOOOO!!!" they did their best to stay true and imho accomplished that

Old 10-17-2006, 07:01 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
I've always said that it was my opinion that if the R56 was the car that was introduced in 2002, I would not have fallen in love with it. No more, no less.

I showed the series of R53/R56 side-by-sides in two above posts to my daughter who is a pretty hip 13 year old artist. She knows nothing of the new MINI for 2007. All I asked her is which of each two two she liked better, disregarding colors and trim, just her impressions of overall shape. Out of the eight (?) pairs, she only picked the R56 once, and she said it was because she couldn't get over the blue with the white bonnet stripes.

Yes, it's only one anecdote, but it's what it is.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Slay
1st Gear
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
I've always said that it was my opinion that if the R56 was the car that was introduced in 2002, I would not have fallen in love with it. No more, no less.

I showed the series of R53/R56 side-by-sides in two above posts to my daughter who is a pretty hip 13 year old artist. She knows nothing of the new MINI for 2007. All I asked her is which of each two two she liked better, disregarding colors and trim, just her impressions of overall shape. Out of the eight (?) pairs, she only picked the R56 once, and she said it was because she couldn't get over the blue with the white bonnet stripes.

Yes, it's only one anecdote, but it's what it is.
LOL... I did the same thing with my wife and father-in-law, 'cause neither of them know anything of the 07 either. They BOTH picked the R56 every time! There's just no debating what individuals find aesthetically pleasing.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:27 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
wow ... man the car's a hack job
I would most respectfully and heartily disagree.
most all here say it's a pos style wise
Not so either. Many of us, all reviewers (thus far), and the most knowledgable other MINIacs around find much to like in R56. In any case....how could it possibly be a "hack job" or a "pos?" Based on everything I've read that's just not a viable option at this point. We we MINI enthusiasts or not?

Old 10-18-2006, 04:20 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Some people, unfortunately, confuse, 'It's bad,' with 'I don't like it.' There is a difference.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:02 AM
resmini
6th Gear
. why if not for greed would they risk loss in return customers?
Because keeping it the same would likely result in a bigger loss of customers, everything changes, sometimes for the better, sometimes some may think not...but if it doesn't change, it dies.

As almost all the reviews have said, it's nearly impossible for most people to tell the difference in the new MINI and the new, new MINI from the external styling changes. As far as a smoother, more technologically advanced, slightly more powerful over a broader rpm range, lighter, more economical engine, it's likely most potential buyers can deal with that.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
Get over it! ... Continually referring to the car as HORRIBLE, when the average Joe wouldn't notice the differences, pretty much reveals your viewpoint. But that's all it is...your viewpoint. ... Seriously, your negative posts and histrionics over the new car have caused you to lose any credibility, I'd guess.. You're the senior "Negative Nellie" of this forum. Bask in the glory. You've earned it.
you are correct (about the senior "negative nellie" thing) and i won't post here any longer. i've done the same on other threads about the r56, and, i am getting monotonous. i would point out though, that a casual perusal of this thread, (and others), reveals that mine is not the only negative viewpoint here. its just an opinion, which i have and am passionate about the MINI, i did not see it as "histrionics," that seems too severe.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:15 AM
JCW210
2nd Gear
Live visual study UK

Make your own mind up , here are the two together ....spotted last week in the UK

Attached Thumbnails R53 versus R56... a visual study-2006_1007chilli0009.jpg   R53 versus R56... a visual study-r56spa1.jpg  
Old 10-20-2006, 04:34 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Looks like whaaaaat?

take a good long look at a classic and then ask yourself which of the new models looks more like it . if i saw this 07 and hadn't seen an 04 i would not buy it as it really doesn't look at all like a classic .
None of the modern ones look like a classic unless you're very, very drunk. And if you're that drunk, don't rhrow up on the interior! And get a designated driver!

Old 10-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Newcomers won't notice or care about the differences. I prefer '02-'06 styling. It's definitely cuter and it's original. It's what I'm used to. Anything else would be unthinkable for now. Nevertheless, I already know that the fifth year version of the first New Mini is more of a delight than the first and I suspect that one day I'll own a turbomini.......and love it just as much.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:21 PM
ZBRACPR
Neutral
Not Bad

PICTURES ARE NOT BAD BUT YOU MUST REALIZE THAT THERE IS PAINTED TAPE COVERING ALL THE AREAS THAT HAVE BEEN CHANGED. THERE ARE DECENT PICS ON MINI.COM

Old 10-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Deutsch
3rd Gear
What I'd like to know most, is how many of you have actually seen the R56??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

Old 10-20-2006, 06:54 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Deutsch
how many of you have actually seen the R56?
Oh probably very few...that's what's so interesting. Most of us have been following this well over a year (it seems), from the very first mules (bulge on the bonnet), to various spy shots, to the official publicity photos/videos, to the Paris Auto Show, to the most recent pics from the test drives....and everything in between. Must be hundereds of photos/images in all. It's quite a story if you're into that sort of thing.

No, we won't see the real thing for awhile...can't wait!! For now it suffices to hang on the words of those who have seen it and had a chance to poke around. Funny....so many say the cosmetic changes are harder to spot in person.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:59 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by familiarstranger
herbie,
have you not heard about the new safety regulations? I dont think anyone at BMW said "what? we have to make it bigger? WOOOOOO!!!" they did their best to stay true and imho accomplished that
leave it to europe to screw up a nice car playin' stalin.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:08 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I would most respectfully and heartily disagree.Not so either. Many of us, all reviewers (thus far), and the most knowledgable other MINIacs around find much to like in R56. In any case....how could it possibly be a "hack job" or a "pos?" Based on everything I've read that's just not a viable option at this point. We we MINI enthusiasts or not?
i'm a mini enthusiast. it's just well the 56 ain't a mini. it's a maxi. the 53 is already 2 ft' bigger than the classic. it's like the 78 t-bird .....please ;when will it stop? sure they coulda made the front taller and stubbier for that matter,but left some nice curves on the hood . with upright headlights . hell it'd probably look more like a cooper than the 53 . i just hope the bleeding stops here. or the amc pacer might have to get some stripes.....wait a minute.... any pictures with the pacer and 56 side by side?

Old 10-20-2006, 07:11 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCW210
Make your own mind up , here are the two together ....spotted last week in the UK
WOW!!!!the vw's smaller?

Old 10-20-2006, 07:16 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
None of the modern ones look like a classic unless you're very, very drunk. And if you're that drunk, don't rhrow up on the interior! And get a designated driver!
operative words were more like it . it's clear who's buying one and who ain't . i for one will be buying a classic. it's just getting bigger. and less like a mini (hence the name) seeing the vw next to it did it for me. my 04's already right there with a gti. but whatever ... luck with the cars guys; really.. hope all is well . enjoy .

Old 10-20-2006, 07:23 PM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
wait a minute.... any pictures with the pacer and 56 side by side?
Not yet, but here's another R53/R56 siamese comparison.

Let's keep it civil, once we sample the R56, our judgement will be clearer...are they here yet?

Old 10-20-2006, 07:42 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
You know...

I'm still amazed that there are such purists.

Comparing the R56 to an AMC Pacer?

To the never-ending growth of the Thunderbird?

GAFB!

If I were to start throwing around insults on the look of a car -- it'd be the Cabrio. I don't think they got the top right at all. It looks like a tent. And those big chrome tubes just look goofy.

Ooh, crap. I spoke evil about the R5x (where x< 4).

And I'm using too many smilies. Better stop now.

-W-

Old 10-20-2006, 07:52 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer
I'm still amazed that there are such purists.

Comparing the R56 to an AMC Pacer?

To the never-ending growth of the Thunderbird?

GAFB!

If I were to start throwing around insults on the look of a car -- it'd be the Cabrio. I don't think they got the top right at all. It looks like a tent. And those big chrome tubes just look goofy.

Ooh, crap. I spoke evil about the R5x (where x< 4).

And I'm using too many smilies. Better stop now.

-W-
no do go on the cabrio's the biggest pos yet.

Quick Reply: R56 R53 versus R56... a visual study