R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2007's Key and Start engine button

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 03:10 PM
gminiS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007's Key and Start engine button

have anyone will change your mind (those just place an order for 2006, like me) will now wait for 07 because of these features?

*forgot to mention: these images are from www.mini2.com, thanks!

Attached Thumbnails 2007's Key and Start engine button-pict0082.jpg   2007's Key and Start engine button-pict0059_t.jpg   2007's Key and Start engine button-pict0084.jpg  
Old 08-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
It's a cool feature, but not that big of a deal...you're still inserting a "key" into the car to start it. If the car could sense the key in your pocket, it might be worth something.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:48 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First impression is I don't like the way the dash is cut away, but I'll hold my final judgement till I see one in person

Old 08-04-2006, 03:54 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Why these "keys" even have to plug into the dash is beyond me. They should be totally proximity based and the starter should activate if the "key" is sensed to be within a few feet of the steering wheel. This technology has been around for a while now. This fob is a lower tech solution that I would have hoped for in a new generation of cars.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:05 PM
myzamboni
5th Gear
When the E90 BMW 3 series came out last year, you had to but the 'key' into a slot. If you waited and ordered 4 months after the release, you could specify the 'convenience package' which allowed you to leave the 'key' on your person and not put it into the slot.

Something to ask about/look into if you are planning on getting an 07.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:10 PM
84im
3rd Gear
Big deal....2006; put the key in the slot and turn it. 2007; put the key in the slot and press the start button.
It should be (with the key in your pocket) just press the button.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:18 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vettes have had the key in the pocket thing for years, I believe.

Lojack with remote tracking works the same way, as long as your little key card is near the car, it won't notify you the car has been moved. The technology is not new.

However, I really do not see BMW putting it on their low end products as in a $22K car. I can see them reserving it from their $50K+ cars.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:27 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by chows4us
Vettes have had the key in the pocket thing for years, I believe.

So have Porsche's (atleast the Cayenne's).

Our new BMW 3 Series also has it.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:30 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gminiS
have anyone will change your mind (those just place an order for 2006, like me) will now wait for 07 because of these features?

*forgot to mention: these images are from www.mini2.com, thanks!
Not just because of the key, but I'd wait for the 07'.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:35 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
So have Porsche's (atleast the Cayenne's).
Our new BMW 3 Series also has it.
I didn't now P cars had it although I have read a lot of complaints about the HUGE key that is too sensitive.

I forgot about the 3 Series and that was kind of what I meant about BMW putting it in their more expensive cars.

Once, while the MINI was in the shop (and we all know how that works ), they were out of MINIs to hand out as loaners and gave me a new 3 Series. I thought driving it home it was kind of big but the big surprise came in the morning ... in the dark ... taking it to work. Your half asleep, just approached the car and the thing just opened up, lit up ... scared the out of me cause I didn't know it did that!

Old 08-04-2006, 04:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
On cars that have wireless keys without need to insert, what happens when you stop the car but leave it running, and get out and walk away with the key in your pocket?

Old 08-04-2006, 05:07 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by chows4us
I didn't now P cars had it although I have read a lot of complaints about the HUGE key that is too sensitive.

I forgot about the 3 Series and that was kind of what I meant about BMW putting it in their more expensive cars.

Once, while the MINI was in the shop (and we all know how that works ), they were out of MINIs to hand out as loaners and gave me a new 3 Series. I thought driving it home it was kind of big but the big surprise came in the morning ... in the dark ... taking it to work. Your half asleep, just approached the car and the thing just opened up, lit up ... scared the out of me cause I didn't know it did that!
Actually, now that I think of it, not all of the Porsche's have them. We have two and only the cayenne has it. The carrera just has a regular key like the MINI. Both of them are 05/06 models too, so they are both fairly new.

The cayenne key is very bulky, which is kind of annoying. On the other hand, the 3 series beemer is very slim and has a pretty cool look to it.

But, the thing where you just touch the door to open is really cool. It is fun to play tricks with people who don't know what it is .

Old 08-04-2006, 05:08 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rkw
On cars that have wireless keys without need to insert, what happens when you stop the car but leave it running, and get out and walk away with the key in your pocket?

I have never tested this for a great length of time, but I have walked away briefly from the car with the key in my pocket. Basically, the car keeps running but a bunch of noises go off in the car, and it says "KEY NOT FOUND" on the display.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:41 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
One thing to think about.....those "proximity keys" are very easy to have sniffed by an RFID reciever. Basically this is a way to hack the code from the key to gain access to your car. I like the safety of having to have a key that req's it to be inserted before it can start the car.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:28 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
One thing to think about.....those "proximity keys" are very easy to have sniffed by an RFID reciever. Basically this is a way to hack the code from the key to gain access to your car. I like the safety of having to have a key that req's it to be inserted before it can start the car.

I don't know...I am bit skeptical. If it's so easy, then why aren't cars with this feature getting stolen more frequently then they currently are?

Old 08-04-2006, 10:29 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Check this link for the whole story..http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/carkey_pr.html
and this one...http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/...to-steal-cars/

And I would venture to say that the cars with this feature aren't stolen to the numbers that the easier ones are, so we don't really hear about them.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:44 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Check this link for the whole story..http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/carkey_pr.html
and this one...http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/...to-steal-cars/

And I would venture to say that the cars with this feature aren't stolen to the numbers that the easier ones are, so we don't really hear about them.

Fair enough...but I guess an important line is
"It's difficult to steal cars with complex security, but not impossible.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:55 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Oh I totally agree. I just don't like the new "keyless" system. I like the fact that I have to have a key to start the car, not just a radio signal. The thieves will only start using more sophisticated means to get the signals as time goes on. But they will always go for the more popular and easier cars first.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:37 AM
6th Gear
If you're talking about the grey jagged cut material in front of the key reader, i'm fairly sure that's just one of the protectors that they install after the car is built. Then again, since they tried to disguise the car it could be that too. I'd be willing to bet that the dash on the new Mini's are going to be similar to our current Mini

[
Originally Posted by snooter
First impression is I don't like the way the dash is cut away, but I'll hold my final judgement till I see one in person

Old 08-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
That foam is to disguise an pre-production test car. . . we won't be getting the hand cut foam and tape as an optional dash finish. . .

Old 08-06-2006, 08:41 AM
6th Gear
Please? But it's so... retro.
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
That foam is to disguise an pre-production test car. . . we won't be getting the hand cut foam and tape as an optional dash finish. . .

Old 08-08-2006, 12:56 PM
shoeboy
2nd Gear
So does anyone actually like the new key? In my opinion, it adds to the Mini's already impressive character. It's one of those little details that separate it from the other cars in its "class" and give people yet another reason to admire it. As far as I know there isn't another $20,000 with this kind of feature.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Wookie
4th Gear
Oh I totally agree. I just don't like the new "keyless" system. I like the fact that I have to have a key to start the car, not just a radio signal. The thieves will only start using more sophisticated means to get the signals as time goes on.
acutally already being done in Europe, can't find the article, but it's a big racket with laptops as the "Key" to steal the car. The nice part is, no more messy broken windows and popped out locks to deal with as the theif is driving away....

Old 08-08-2006, 03:39 PM
whatever7
1st Gear
Unless it's made more water proof I don't see the advantage. I have bring my key to swim a few times the water seem to leak into the zip lock bag regardless. Don't you need the metal part to recharge?

And why is it so freaking big.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:08 PM
OffAxis
2nd Gear
This is something you will see replacing keyless entry over the next generation of model changes for every manufacturer, Nissan is implenting it their entire line starting with the Altima up in 2007, Lexus and Infiniti already use it. The Corvette has had a similar system (Although no push button start) since the mid 90's and I am sure there are plenty others as mentioned above. I do not get the slot unless you just need a place to store the fob. I love having push button starters, but have never minded using a key; however I am not opposed to it either.

Quick Reply: R56 2007's Key and Start engine button