R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 After seeing pictures of the real thing, I'm bucking the trend and.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 07:46 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After seeing pictures of the real thing, I'm bucking the trend and.....

trying to come up with a way to justify trading my very low mileage 03 MC for an 07 MC. I like the way it looks, I like the new interior, and if it's accurate, the 51.2 highway mpg would be great. Some of the gas mileage increase is probably due to the new for the MC, six speed tranny. I've also heard regular gas will be recommended, which I hope is true.

Since it seems that many of the current MINI owners hate the 07, maybe I can get a good deal on a trade at a dealership with a bunch of unwanted 07's just setting around.

I hope so, I'm really looking forward to driving and checking out the new, new MINI.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:55 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm w/ you, res!!! The more I look, the more I like. My only problem will be parting w/ my '03...I tried once w/ no success. Just couldn't bring myself to hand over the keys. Such a sentimental fool!!

Anyway, the new MINI looks good to me....another evolution....and the promise of better fuel efficiency certainly has caught my interest big time.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:10 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
i wanted to trade my 03 MC for an 07 MCS ... but the new MC has it beat hands down looks wise ... so I might go that route and use the saved money to get some extra gadgets, like the nav system which just looks ace

Old 08-16-2006, 08:23 PM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
I have an 02, and love it, and the new MC is soooo cool. But in 16, and in no financial situation for a new car, as I am paying for mine.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like it and I don't blame you..... besides the first guy that turns up the boost and runs past all the 02-06 cars will start a trend..... I am too commited to my 02 financially...and I really love it.....to trade.... but when they announce the "traveler" I am pretty sure I am putting in an order...sell the Xterra...maybe

Old 08-16-2006, 10:11 PM
RonP
4th Gear
I'll be keeping my '03, the new exterior looks ok but that interior is hideous looking, imo of course, to each there own. Until they change that interior I won't be looking to trade-in, no matter what engine or other changes have been made.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:38 AM
mistro
6th Gear
I don't know, I think it looks good and a Turbo will provide better mileage. Right now I'm looking forward to Jan 2010, because that'w when my 05 MCSC will have about 125K miles on it and it will be time to let her go!

Old 08-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Tri3
1st Gear
I am on the waiting list for the 07. Hopefully I should be able to spec it out in late September early October.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:43 AM
chopper
1st Gear
Buy one because you want one! I wouldn't get too excited about the gas mileage as everything is based on European specs. They could be better or the same. Overall I don't really see them as a better car as time will bare that out, they're just different in some ways. Buy it and enjoy it! If its not to you taste once you have it, there will always be CPO Minis . Good luck on the purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy the new car!

Old 08-17-2006, 06:49 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
Be excessive! Keep your '03 and buy an '07! You'll still have less metal than one SUV, and can have your own private rally whenever you want!

Old 08-17-2006, 06:59 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Perhaps after 3 years with my 03 MC I'm just ready for a change, and I'm sure there are a few things about my 03 I prefer to the 07.

However, at a glance:

1. More power.
2. Better gas mileage.
3. Steering wheel telescopes as well as tilts.
4. Cool new keyless start button.
5. Deflectors to help keep back window clean.
6. More logical location for the power window switches.
7. Good chance of more comfortable seats.
8. New colors.
9. It appears that the muffler, at least on the MC, is a lot less of a visable can hanging down.
10. Back part of sunroof opens.

It looks great to me, and my prediction will be that this is a highly successful change, making the MINI more popular than ever.

Downside for me.
1. Price is bound to go up.
2. Realistically I need to keep my low mileage 03...unless the pre-07's are so popular, because the hatred of the 07's is so great, that I can sell my 03 for enough to cover the cost of an 07.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:12 AM
bluestone
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
Since it seems that many of the current MINI owners hate the 07, maybe I can get a good deal on a trade at a dealership with a bunch of unwanted 07's just setting around.
i have this odd little feeling that trends at NAM don't *necessarily* jibe with national trends.

say what you want about the enthusiast base, or whatever, but i have a feeling that, despite NAM, *rather* less than 2/3 of the MCS trade ins at your local dealership have 15% pulleys...

Old 08-17-2006, 08:46 AM
lotsie
Banned
I'm not so put off by the exterior now that I have seen those new pics. As to the interior, I have liked what I have been seeing all along.

The new engine will be the big change as I see it, but I'm not really interested until the traveler comes out. So by then any real problems should have surfaced.

If a traveler is not in my future, I'll get a trailer for Poco, my 03 Cooper, with 78k miles, and just be the one and only owner of him, as he still has less miles on him then any other car I have owned. I tend to own cars till they go to the big scrape yard in the sky.

Mark

Old 08-17-2006, 09:40 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tri3
I am on the waiting list for the 07. Hopefully I should be able to spec it out in late September early October.
That's great. Don't let the nay sayers get you down, you're gonna love your new MINI.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I think the 07 looks great, but as of now, I'm enjoying my '05 and I'll keep it for a good while. It's too precious to me considering it's been a dream of mine to own a Mini Cooper ever since the new ones came out. That's one dream car down, maybe a dozen to go.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:17 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Count me in the R56 bandwagon. Just the thought of all 175 ft/lb torkies available to my twitchin right foot from barely above idle to 5500rpm--and a sustained 30 seconds of 193 ft/lb boost anywhere in that spectrum--makes me drool, man. I betcha a good 75% of the naysayers will flipflop once they experience that....

(then the market will be flooded with used R53s).

I'm already number 1 on the 07 S demo list at my local dealer when one arrives....

And the more I see the interior, the more I likey--just like the Rx8, we'll be able to change the colors of our gauge lighting. Wow.

Spidey is right: We be running circles around the 02s-06s, I might add perhaps even the JCWs (or at least the GP.) Hahaha

Plan: keep mileage on 05 S under 12K/year, keep it clean, no mods. Wait 'til '08 is my mantra.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:34 AM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Count me in the R56 bandwagon. Just the thought of all 175 ft/lb torkies available to my twitchin right foot from barely above idle to 5500rpm--and a sustained 30 seconds of 193 ft/lb boost anywhere in that spectrum--makes me drool, man. I betcha a good 75% of the naysayers will flipflop once they experience that....

(then the market will be flooded with used R53s).

I'm already number 1 on the 07 S demo list at my local dealer when one arrives....

And the more I see the interior, the more I likey--just like the Rx8, we'll be able to change the colors of our gauge lighting. Wow.

Spidey is right: We be running circles around the 02s-06s, I might add perhaps even the JCWs (or at least the GP.) Hahaha

Plan: keep mileage on 05 S under 12K/year, keep it clean, no mods. Wait 'til '08 is my mantra.
I think there are so many 02-06 MINI lovers who love "their" MINIs look, the market shouldn't be flooded with used models. I hope not, that could be seen as the MINI losing its luster.

I have read on MINI2.com that the gauges faces won't change the lighting, it will be other interior lights. Pretty cool but not as cool as the gauge lighting change would have been.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:15 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mcarlo52
I think there are so many 02-06 MINI lovers who love "their" MINIs look, the market shouldn't be flooded with used models. I hope not, that could be seen as the MINI losing its luster. I have read on MINI2.com that the gauges faces won't change the lighting, it will be other interior lights. Pretty cool but not as cool as the gauge lighting change would have been.
I hope it doesn't get flooded, because that's one reason why our cars hold their residual/resale values so well--the relatively small percentage of used MINIs on the market at any given time, and how fast they are sold.

And perhaps someone should confirm, if they can (Gabe?) about the interior lighting issue, I had heard and read on other threads that the gauge colors could be changed (one thing I liked about the RX8.) I mean, it doesn't make sense that the interior lighting could change and not the gauges, it's all on the same circuit. MINI2 has been wrong before with regards to reporting new features, so we'll see.... JB

Old 08-30-2006, 07:29 AM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
I hope it doesn't get flooded, because that's one reason why our cars hold their residual/resale values so well--the relatively small percentage of used MINIs on the market at any given time, and how fast they are sold.

And perhaps someone should confirm, if they can (Gabe?) about the interior lighting issue, I had heard and read on other threads that the gauge colors could be changed (one thing I liked about the RX8.) I mean, it doesn't make sense that the interior lighting could change and not the gauges, it's all on the same circuit. MINI2 has been wrong before with regards to reporting new features, so we'll see.... JB
The new stuff on the international MINI site has the gauges turning colors. I spent about 2 hours yesterday surfing that entire site.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
The car will be a hoot!

But the original post was about a Cooper, not an S. The technology in the Cooper engine is impressive. Variable valve lift (the throttle body is only on the car for diagnostic purposes! It's wid open all the time), variable cam timing and direct injection are going to make it really efficient for the power level.

It's interesting that on the S, you get the turbo, but not the variable valve lift. I wonder why? Cost, or had they not yet worked out the control software?

Matt

Old 08-30-2006, 12:02 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wrx_xb9r
The new stuff on the international MINI site has the gauges turning colors.
I didnt see the guages turning colors, the demo just showed the roof and door ambient lighting changing hues. It did say "instrument panel" was included so I'm assuming the gauges and controls as well? If so that's one very tres cool option there! I'm lovin this car more and more! Viva R56!

Old 08-30-2006, 03:09 PM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
I didnt see the guages turning colors, the demo just showed the roof and door ambient lighting changing hues. It did say "instrument panel" was included so I'm assuming the gauges and controls as well? If so that's one very tres cool option there! I'm lovin this car more and more! Viva R56!
I read that also and just put it in my head that the gauges turned colors. I looked again and it does not have any pictures (or flash movies) that show the gauges turning colors.

I am trying to decide to put my name on the list for a R56 S or JCW. I am also waiting on information the new STi to be released. Too many fun choices.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:29 AM
ajakeski
4th Gear
I like the '07 except for the muffler sticking out in the back. MINI could have done more to conceal the muffler and maybe make the rear end look less like an SUV with the bumper up so high.
I'll keep my 2005 S.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:27 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
If so that's one very tres cool option there! I'm lovin this car more and more! Viva R56!
I agree...very interesting!!!

Old 09-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Red
6th Gear

So it will be almost two years until you be running circles around the 02'-06's? Hahaha.

regards,
Red

Quick Reply: R56 After seeing pictures of the real thing, I'm bucking the trend and.....