R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Brief Blurb from Evo on the '07

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:32 AM
rjmann
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brief Blurb from Evo on the '07

Interesting reading. Good and bad news for everyone depending on just what it is you want out of your MINI.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/20..._new_mini.html

Old 09-06-2006, 04:53 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found it interesting that "most people thought [the supercharger whine] was annoying" in the pre-'07 model MCS's.

Where did he get this bit of research? What qualifies as "most"?

I'd say there's a large group of us MINIacs that absolutely love the supercharger whine, and are doing everything in our power to produce more of that wonderful sound. Maybe it's just me, but with the cold air intakes and reduction pullies being put on a significant portion of MCS's out there, what does that say?

As you may have already guessed, I am in the group who love the whine. When I leave a stop light, or take a corner at 5000 RPMs, other people around me know I've got a supercharged hot hatch. People turn and look, and I like it!

Old 09-06-2006, 05:26 AM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rjmann
Interesting reading. Good and bad news for everyone depending on just what it is you want out of your MINI.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/20..._new_mini.html
Wow! That link has the most annoying pop up ad.

Hate them hard-to-close pop-ups.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:38 AM
Tri3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't seem like a very good write-up to me. I seen others that make the new mini seem much cooler. This one sort of turns you off to the new one.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:46 AM
mistro
6th Gear
I'm very sad about this comment. "Yet despite all this, the instant, crisp-edged, Mini-flavoured eagerness is missing. Floor the throttle at 2000rpm and things are torpid for a couple of seconds." Turbo lag! Too bad.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:19 AM
tide96
1st Gear
I just love the comment from the article.

With the bonnet open, you can see the biggest change of all: the cheap-to-make Tritec four-cylinder engine from Brazil has gone."

It may be cheap to make but I think it's a pretty reliable engine.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:33 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tri3
Doesn't seem like a very good write-up to me. I seen others that make the new mini seem much cooler. This one sort of turns you off to the new one.
Evo, like most British magazines, tends to carry highly opinionated pieces and there's generally less concern with offending advertisers. They were fairly critical of the third-generation Miata, too.

Mark

Old 09-06-2006, 08:20 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mistro
"... Floor the throttle at 2000rpm and things are torpid for a couple of seconds."
A couple of seconds? I doubt there has ever been a production car that had that kind of lag. I think he exaggerated a bit for effect.

Others did not report such problems but there could be many reasons for it. It could have a bit of lag that is perceived by some and not others. It could have been a glitch, the engine too cold, the engine too hot or some other software override limiting power for a moment. As he said, he won't really know until launch.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Tri3
1st Gear
Yea that statement troubled me.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:00 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah I really hope this car handles as well as the old Cooper S. I'm hoping the new -07 will also be a decent autox car as the R53 is.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:47 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Boy, kind of flys in the face of several of the other sneak peak articles out there... everyong else seems to be loving the new car's performance and handling. As pointed out, there seems to be some cutting comments in there against the old and new models. I guess it just goes to show that you can't believe everything you read. We'll just have to see how the '07 actually drives when it shows up.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:01 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
I found it interesting that "most people thought [the supercharger whine] was annoying" in the pre-'07 model MCS's.

Where did he get this bit of research? What qualifies as "most"?

I'd say there's a large group of us MINIacs that absolutely love the supercharger whine, and are doing everything in our power to produce more of that wonderful sound. Maybe it's just me, but with the cold air intakes and reduction pullies being put on a significant portion of MCS's out there, what does that say?

As you may have already guessed, I am in the group who love the whine. When I leave a stop light, or take a corner at 5000 RPMs, other people around me know I've got a supercharged hot hatch. People turn and look, and I like it!
I agree, jonnie! I love the whine of the SC! We'll just have to wait and test-drive the new '07s, and see how the new owners feel about them.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:03 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
Yeah I really hope this car handles as well as the old Cooper S. I'm hoping the new -07 will also be a decent autox car as the R53 is.
it should be, size wise its not that much bigger than the current car.... i am more worried about torque steer in the new car though.. i hope they make LSD standard on the S

i dont know if its just my imagination, but doesnt the new car look alot taller than the current one?

Old 09-06-2006, 08:07 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyriian
i dont know if its just my imagination, but doesnt the new car look alot taller than the current one?
It does look taller. I think it is because the beltline is higher, and the windows are smaller.

One thing that the car designers don't seem to consider in many of the newer cars is what about keeping the windows large enough for folks to crawl out of after an accident? Some of the tiny little windows I'm seeing on cars bug me! :impatient

Old 09-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
There is still going to be throttle lag with the 07 Mini, which is why I jumped on getting an 06. Turbo's just really aren't optimal for autocross. Plus they will create more heat under the bonnet. Last thing I need out west.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:28 PM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gromit801
There is still going to be throttle lag with the 07 Mini, which is why I jumped on getting an 06. Turbo's just really aren't optimal for autocross. Plus they will create more heat under the bonnet. Last thing I need out west.
How much lag? If it ends up that we can't measure it or sense it then it does NOT exist for any practical purpose. Until we get some real world feedback we just don't know. Can we call the low RPM lack of torque on the 06 MCS cam lag? We can measure and feel that. Is the lack of that torque the optimal autocross engine? If you think the 07 MCS Turbo engine is less optimal for anything than the 06 MCS engine you may want to wait before saying too much. Every turbo engine is not the same.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:20 PM
StompRocket
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by inomis
A couple of seconds? I doubt there has ever been a production car that had that kind of lag. I think he exaggerated a bit for effect.

Others did not report such problems but there could be many reasons for it. It could have a bit of lag that is perceived by some and not others. It could have been a glitch, the engine too cold, the engine too hot or some other software override limiting power for a moment. As he said, he won't really know until launch.
I don't think the writer of the article listened to the sound clip that was on the MINI site of the new... didn't sound like anything was lagging.

They went through all six gears in under 11 seconds

Old 09-13-2006, 04:49 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
It gives a similar feel to before but feels a touch viscous during quick direction changes.That lovely Mini flickability has been toned down, though.

Does he seem to be contradicting himself?

Old 09-16-2006, 10:14 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
height/beltline

Originally Posted by MINIclo
It does look taller. I think it is because the beltline is higher, and the windows are smaller.

One thing that the car designers don't seem to consider in many of the newer cars is what about keeping the windows large enough for folks to crawl out of after an accident? Some of the tiny little windows I'm seeing on cars bug me! :impatient
I believe that when the new car is LOWERED, the higher beltline and lower windows will, as a total package, look VERY cool.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
I too would find it incredibly difficult to leave my supercharger whine behind for a turbo. With tuning and a faster pulley it produces sounds that are truly inspiring. It pulls hard and even across the band. No lag.....at all. I'll often turn the radio off, lower the driver's window and listen to it's song. The sound it makes in third gear when given even the slightest bit of throttle....is the best.

For new buyers who enter the market after dealers stop taking orders for '06... the changes won't likely make any difference. But, it's a very interesting choice for those who are caught up in it right now.

Having had the experience of owning a first year Mini and now owning a last year model......I'll stick with the latter for now. It's likely that one day I'll have another last year model, so here's to the second generation New Mini!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:19 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Just WHO is it that doesn't like the whine??? I've never heard someone say, "Boy, I sure wish my S didn't whine."