R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Automobile Magazine 2007 Mini First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no doubt that the 2007 MCS will be lots of fun to drive. That being said......I'm disappointed that it apparently does have some turbo lag. It also appears that it has lost a leg to the precise handling of the 02-06 models. It was destiny rather than choice that appointed me to be motoring in an '06 rather than an '02 and if the early reports pan out......as time passes I'm liking where I have landed more and more.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:01 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I don't recall anyone saying that the would be buyers of the 07 models are "stupid, ignorant or tasteless"...hmmm?
You don't?

My prediction...don't be surprised that most of the new customer base will lack the devotion the current generation is so capable of...mostly leased or sell within two years...probably don't know that their's is the third generation Mini...don't care the scoop is fake (on MCS) and don't expect waves back...they'll think you're a nut case
I guess I'm reading somthing extra into your post just like you're reading into mine.

My apologies.

The one down-side of the printed word, I guess.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:08 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MGCMAN
BMW had some major issues to deal with:

2) The end of the BMW-Mercedes joint venture engine in Brasil. The dawn of the BMW-Peugeot joint venture engine in Europe.
Wrong. It wasnt a joint BMW-Mercedes venture on the Brazilian-made R53 engine, it was a BMW-Chrysler joint venture (the same engine is also used in european-sold PT Cruisers and Neons). This agreement was penned before the Daimler-Chrysler merger, and is one reason for the new joint BMW-PSA engine.

Munich and Stuttgart dont exactly like each other.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Minihed
1st Gear
Like so many things in life, this will end up being a case where the changes won't be as good, or as bad as people hope/fear. Usually things fall somewhere in between. I bet there will be good improvements and bad ones. Only time and a test drive will answer the questions.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:46 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
remember the new '07 mini was supposed to have done laps on the Nurburgring was much faster than the current mini. I don't know if that really accounts for anything, but that does mean it is faster in some respect.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:59 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
The same will be true over the next year with the R56: Suspension is softer, but IT WORKS BETTER (look at the GP for a clue as its the same design-many of the owners have commented on the soft ride… but INCREASED performance).
Yep, a softer ride doesn't automatically mean worse handling. It might even be so soft that the upper strut housings quit "mushrooming" from hitting bumps, especially with runflats and/or humongous tires that are so low profile they look like rubber bands.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:02 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
remember the new '07 mini was supposed to have done laps on the Nurburgring was much faster than the current mini. I don't know if that really accounts for anything, but that does mean it is faster in some respect.
More torque at a lower RPM=faster lap times.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 AM
msh441
6th Gear
I recall the "faster at Nerenburgring" info as well... supposed to be roughly 15-seconds faster than the previous JCW cars (which were also 10-15 seconds faster than the S).

Having driven the ring, I can say first hand that a 15 seconds difference (though worth mentioning) is less than you would imagine on that track. It's a Loooonnng track!!! 5-10 second differences driving the SAME car with the SAME driver are not unheard of... especially if you're not some hotfoot pro racer.

Also, I would recommend reading the whole Automobile article. I saw it tonight. There was a lot more positive in it than negative. Smith specifically states that the newer car is faster... or at least easier to drive fast... than the previous generation. He also comments on the huge torque gain when compared to the Tritec engine... but no mention of turbo lag anywhere. The only article I've seen so far mentioning any lag was by EVO Magazine...

All in all, I can't wait to drive a demo and decide for myself. Absolute worst case scenario... it blows, I take my deposit back and begin shopping for a used 2002-2006.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:19 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
You don't?

I guess I'm reading somthing extra into your post just like you're reading into mine.

My apologies.

The one down-side of the printed word, I guess.
Yes...indeed...no offense taken

I hope my predictions are wrong but I definitely wish the 07 full successs regardless of my design opinions...we all want MINI to succeed

Heck...I'll probably end up with one for R&D...

Old 09-13-2006, 06:38 AM
bluestone
3rd Gear
From what I've seen, mainly from 2 or 3 from a couple frequent posters here... it won't be new owners you have to be worried about not waving. It the few pretentious R53 owners who somehow think they're better, more enlightened, or somehow socially a step above the new R56 owner on the MINI ownership hierarchy.
i bet new R56 owners won't even be able to tell an '86 Chateauneuf-du-Pape from an '83!

Old 09-13-2006, 06:58 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Such haters. Its human nature I guess.

I would be looking for any excuse to hate the change if I stilled owed a good chunk of money on my car, or had sunk a ton of cash into modding it... only to find the next years model better in stock form or has potential to perform beyond the current model.

Same thing happened when the Caymen came out. A far better car than the 911 (at a lower price point, too). A TON of 911 owners were quick to point out the shortcomings. The reality is, when the dust settled, there weren't that many to find.

The same will be true over the next year with the R56: Suspension is softer, but IT WORKS BETTER (look at the GP for a clue as its the same design-many of the owners have commented on the soft ride… but INCREASED performance). The brakes are better (older Works brakes as stock). The power is on hand IMMEDIATELY with all the added torque (thanks to the new turbo). It's more fuel efficient. The quality of the interior is better. Plus, if you don't like it in stock form... the new turbo offers more tuning possibilities than the supercharger.

But that's the thing about a Mini. There aren't too many Mini’s out there in stock form for very long, are there? Classic, R50, R52 or R53. Each one gets their own little spin. That’s what will always set MINI apart from VW. A MINI truly becomes extensions of the owner’s individuality... as will the R56.

From what I've seen, mainly from 2 or 3 from a couple frequent posters here... it won't be new owners you have to be worried about not waving. It the few pretentious R53 owners who somehow think they're better, more enlightened, or somehow socially a step above the new R56 owner on the MINI ownership hierarchy.
I'd say you're being pretty pretentious yourself by looking down on all the R53 owners. It says on your signature that you're a "not quite owner" so what makes your opinion any more valid than the others that have been shared here? You call everyone else haters, but since you are planning on buying an 07 you are naturally biased toward the R56. We will all be able to make our own judgement on the 07 soon enough. I have no doubt it will be a good car. But just because current R53 owners like the old design better doesn't make them pretentious, they are just worried that MINI will lose some of the quirks and attributes that make it unique among other cars. I think there are some legitimate concerns that the R56 will not have some of the same "edge" as the R53 and that it will appeal more to the masses, especially as the R56 becomes much more common than the R53. Some people may like the new changes but there will be those that will still prefer the feel of the "old" R53 MINIs. It seems like a lot of cars today are getting bigger and softer. Its not that they don't perform as well, but they don't allow the driver to be as connected to the road because they are too insulated with technology. Take the BMW M5 for example. From the reviews I've read, the new M5 is very fast and agile yet I've heard complaints that it is not as much of a driver's car as the previous generation. I'm going to reserve final judgement on the R56 until it comes out and I'm actually able to drive it. There are some design elements that I don't like about it, but it may end up being a great car. But msh441, just because you plan on buying an 07 doesn't give you the right to walk around with the attitude that any criticism of the R56 is just coming from disgruntled R53 owners. In that sense you are being just as pretentious...

Old 09-13-2006, 07:07 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
I am having flashbacks to 1976-77 when the BMW 2002 became the more refined BMW 320i or when the "pagoda" Mercedes 280 sl became the new 350 sl. I am going down to the garage and give my 2005 MCS a big hug.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:12 AM
bluestone
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Larry Clemens
I am having flashbacks to 1976-77 when the BMW 2002 became the more refined BMW 320i or when the "pagoda" Mercedes 280 sl became the new 350 sl. I am going down to the garage and give my 2005 MCS a big hug.
i love the pagoda mercedes. such a great looking car. one day, when i can afford to have cars i don't drive all the time, i've got to have one.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:13 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
If I got an 07, how would I get my cat out of the tree????

Old 09-13-2006, 07:14 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
My prediction...don't be surprised that most of the new customer base will lack the devotion the current generation is so capable of...mostly leased or sell within two years...probably don't know that their's is the third generation Mini...don't care the scoop is fake (on MCS) and don't expect waves back...they'll think you're a nut case
I dunno I think that will depend on where you live. To me you have to be pretty devoted to be willing to drive 334 miles round trip for servicing (usually 668 miles since they never have the parts in stock ). I think the limited service options will keep Mini from becoming a mass owned Auto unless you happen to be fortunate enough to live in a city that actually has a Mini dealership in it

Old 09-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry Clemens
...or when the '88 CRX came out. I drove one and it wasn't nearly as connected as my '86. But, it was wildly successful

Change is inevitable, cars evolve, something comes along to take the place. Business as usual.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:22 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by bamatt
I dunno I think that will depend on where you live. To me you have to be pretty devoted to be willing to drive 334 miles round trip for servicing (usually 668 miles since they never have the parts in stock ). I think the limited service options will keep Mini from becoming a mass owned Auto unless you happen to be fortunate enough to live in a city that actually has a Mini dealership in it
I bet they'll open up more dealership for the increased production/service volumn...

Old 09-13-2006, 07:53 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by clarkdr81
just because you plan on buying an 07 doesn't give you the right to walk around with the attitude that any criticism of the R56 is just coming from disgruntled R53 owners. In that sense you are being just as pretentious...
Touche'.

Point taken.

Originally Posted by bluestone
i bet new R56 owners won't even be able to tell an '86 Chateauneuf-du-Pape from an '83!
You DEFINATLEY got me there!

Old 09-13-2006, 08:03 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by resmini
More torque at a lower RPM=faster lap times.
more torque overall = less shifting = faster lap times

Old 09-13-2006, 08:22 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
I bet they'll open up more dealership for the increased production/service volumn...
If that's all it takes to get a Mini Service center near me then I say bring it on I can live with a few non-enthusiasts if that's what it takes to make a repair take less than 2 tanks of gas. Uhhohh am I a non-enthusiast now

Old 09-13-2006, 08:37 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by bamatt
If that's all it takes to get a Mini Service center near me then I say bring it on I can live with a few non-enthusiasts if that's what it takes to make a repair take less than 2 tanks of gas. Uhhohh am I a non-enthusiast now
Coming soon to your local BMW dealerships

Old 09-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Two words: Throttle Lag. You can't change the laws of physics, and no matter how you tune a turbo, it will always have throttle lag, however small, it is there. Not desireable on an autocross track, no matter how much torque it might produce.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:45 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Two words: Throttle Lag. You can't change the laws of physics, and no matter how you tune a turbo, it will always have throttle lag, however small, it is there. Not desireable on an autocross track, no matter how much torque it might produce.
You keep saying this. How much lag does it have? 5-10 milliseconds? How much can you feel? Even a subjective fact would be useful at this point.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:58 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Wrong. It wasnt a joint BMW-Mercedes venture on the Brazilian-made R53 engine, it was a BMW-Chrysler joint venture (the same engine is also used in european-sold PT Cruisers and Neons). This agreement was penned before the Daimler-Chrysler merger, and is one reason for the new joint BMW-PSA engine.

Munich and Stuttgart dont exactly like each other.
And your point being? Had I stated BMW-Chrysler, some wag would have said, it's BMW-Daimler/Mercedes/Chrysler, semantics being what they are. The only thing that matters is that this is a cult of personality: Dr Z was the man across the table and now it looks like Carlos Ghosn will be the new man across the table with Renault/Citroen/Pugeot/Nissan or whatever we wind up calling it.

p.s. How do you pronounce Daimler-Chrysler in German?

Daimler, the Chrysler is silent.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:01 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
How about almost a second? That's the least amount of throttle lag I've ever personally experienced when getting aggressive on the gas. I was driving a Porsche at the time.

What will the 07 Mini have. Don't know yet, and I've never claimed to know how much throttle lag there will be. But it will be there.

Quick Reply: R56 Automobile Magazine 2007 Mini First Drive