R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Just saw the first brochure for the new Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 04:13 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just saw the first brochure for the new Mini...

Yesterday we got to see the first brochure of the new Mini and i gotta say i really like the look of the car. I think the interior is great. the way it all comes together looks awesome.

the new look is nice. the front end looks more agressive with the bigger fog lights and the arch of the bonnet gives it a better classic mini look.

we got some pics of the new engine and everything is differet so is gonna be a learning curve once we start getting them in the shop...

the fact that we got the brochure says that the car should be coming soon, can't wait

Old 09-16-2006, 05:27 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool! My favorite pic I've seen that brought it together for me is on MINI2. http://www.mini2.com/article398-seco...ford-tour.html. It's actually of a billboard at the MINI complex. Shows the front of the new S with two large driving lights mounted above the bumper. The driving lights have grown perportionately, too. Looks pretty tuff.

The new wood interior option looks interesting, too. don't know if I would pick it for myself... but who knows.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:48 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Stop saying good things about the 07.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:08 PM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
change is good ???

I love my 2006 mini
i wanna wait until i see it live to make my decision on 2007

Old 09-16-2006, 07:21 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MY2ndMINI
I love my 2006 mini
i wanna wait until i see it live to make my decision on 2007
I DON't want to wait and see!

I want to drive a 2007 NOW... then decide!!!

Old 09-17-2006, 07:14 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
those lights were not in the brochure but they look nice.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:29 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we're all in "wait and see mode," whether we're anxious or apprehensive. I, too, really like what I see overall. Even the things I questioned are starting to make some sense. We'll see how the R56 puzzle fits together in the days ahead. There'll be a lot to process....things some folks will love and some folks will "not-love." Should be interesting.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:40 PM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
I think the interior of the 2007 has lost a lot of the retro appeal of the current Mini. The speedometer in particular looks too big and the intergrated stereo in the central portion of the speedometer looks plain goofy.

I'm glad I took delivery of a 2006 recently, I think I would have been comparitively dissappointed with the new one, especially as it will have more problems just as any new model of car does. This will be especially true with the new engine.

Actually, this phenomonen is not limited to just cars, it applies to any manufactured product that has a tremendous amount of technology involved. Think of all the compliants from early users of Windows XP for reference.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:37 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
I think too many people are jumping on the ship thinking the 07 will be a piece of junk, and that everything will go the wrong way. So many negative nancys!

Well thats what I hope these Warranties are good for, and I plan on upgrading in a few years thanks to the MINI's great residual/resale.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:58 PM
RafterManFMJ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by princeofwaldo
I think the interior of the 2007 has lost a lot of the retro appeal of the current Mini. The speedometer in particular looks too big and the intergrated stereo in the central portion of the speedometer looks plain goofy.

I'm glad I took delivery of a 2006 recently, I think I would have been comparitively dissappointed with the new one, especially as it will have more problems just as any new model of car does. This will be especially true with the new engine.
I could not agree more. So very glad the Cabrio will not change so I can get a 2007 model w/o that goofy monstrosity...

Old 09-17-2006, 11:23 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Judging from that MINI2 link, everything above the down tubes looks ok to me. It's the hokiness of that MINI logo that really bothers me. Really feels like the difference between a high school wanna be designer trying to imitate a world class designer. Feels fake and lacks sophistication. It looks glued on and unfinished. I mean what were they thinking about with that side vent? It looks like someone said we need to modify the profile. Let's draw a line from the top and bottom of the gas cap, let it run past the door handle dip, and see where it ends up at the side vent. Then we'll just make the vent taller to match those lines. Look at the picture below--it's obvious. It makes about as much sense as the non functional hood scoop for the MCS.

The 2002-2006 headunit/AC/Toggles looked like an integrated control panel with subtle cues. The automatic climate control was shaped like the MINI emblem, but wasn't in your face. Some people never even knew that it was. IMO, design that evokes a feeling, that causes you to ponder it and ask questions is far more successful than a design that you look at it once and say "Oh I get it".

Like the difference between a suspenseful mystery movie versus a wham bam shootem up type of movie. What were they thinking???

Old 09-18-2006, 06:18 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
everything above the down tubes looks ok to me.
I agree, I love the dash...and tolerate what is below. The only up side is the possibility (unknown) of using the flat panel between the downtubes for some nice custom surfaces. I do like the bigger speedo and the way it fits into the dash...I like that alot. So basically I'm in "look-past-what-I-don't-like-because-I-really-like-the-rest" mode. The side vent doesn't trouble me (looking at the Cooper) as much as the fake hood scoop on the MCS, unless the scoop can be used for something (CAI). I'd prefer that MC and MCS models were differentiated purely by functional elements, much as their original-Mini counterparts were.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:17 PM
DJA
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
...... The side vent doesn't trouble me (looking at the Cooper) as much as the fake hood scoop on the MCS, unless the scoop can be used for something (CAI). I'd prefer that MC and MCS models were differentiated purely by functional elements, much as their original-Mini counterparts were.
Yep. I'll bet that scoop is made functional as a CAI supply at some point in the model run. There has been a lot of negative reaction to that already and BMW has to hear it. It's cheesey...

Old 09-18-2006, 12:24 PM
miniGarfield
2nd Gear
I want to see it, drive it and then decide but i love my 05 purple haze too much! and every feature of it

Old 09-18-2006, 01:04 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PezRadar
I think too many people are jumping on the ship thinking the 07 will be a piece of junk, and that everything will go the wrong way. So many negative nancys!

Well thats what I hope these Warranties are good for, and I plan on upgrading in a few years thanks to the MINI's great residual/resale.
True warranties can be a life-saver but its still a pain in the @$$ to constantly take your car into the dealer, especially when its far away for a lot of MINI owners. It will have its problems due to it being a new model and I think a lot of people just don't like dealing with those new model year issues. As for the looks, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Its strange because some pictures I've seen of the R56 I absolutely hate it and in some it looks just fine. So I'm part of the "wait and see" group, but I do thing the current MINIs have a much more "classic" look. Its hard for me to explain what that means, but it makes sense to mean so thats all that matters

Old 09-18-2006, 01:06 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minileti
i love my 05 purple haze too much!
As you should!!!!! I'd be keeping my '03 absolutely forever if my MINIac daughter didn't need transport. Tryin' to help her out.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:19 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
As you should!!!!! I'd be keeping my '03 absolutely forever if my MINIac daughter didn't need transport.
You could always just do what my parents did to my sister when she wanted a Miata, buy her a Matchbox car version of it!

Old 09-18-2006, 03:13 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by princeofwaldo
Think of all the compliants from early users of Windows XP for reference.
I bought Windows XP from Staples on the day it was released. I got $250 worth of free stuff for buying a $99 dollar product...and it's worked flawlessly ever since.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:19 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RafterManFMJ
I could not agree more. So very glad the Cabrio will not change so I can get a 2007 model w/o that goofy monstrosity...
That's great, MINI needs people like you to sell an 06 model to and call it an 07. Helps get rid of the parts inventory for the old model.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:20 AM
DJA
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by clarkdr81
True warranties can be a life-saver but its still a pain in the @$$ to constantly take your car into the dealer, ...
How true. The money is one thing, but the time off from work, arranging rides, time without a car, potential for botched repair, etc., often go unmentioned. Everyone has different tolerance for hassle, but I'd rather wait and let others do the user testing.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:33 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by joey1320
and the arch of the bonnet gives it a better classic mini look.
)

Awww, I saw this and thought that somehow it did look more like a classic, but alas it has a bubble bonnet with reclining headlamps vs the classic's snub upright nose and lights.

I'll be interested to see if the headlamps look so heavily outlined in person, looks a little Orphan Annie-y in the photo.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:02 PM
chopperace
2nd Gear
I think they could have done something better with the 07. To me it looks like they are (a) trying to increase their profit margin by making more parts inhouse and making the cars easier to assemble. and (b) sell to a different
demographic by making the car easier to drive and cheaper to opperate, the VW Beetle and PT Cruiser crowd. But in the process they will probably loss some of the hardcore Mini enthusiasts. I was waiting for reviews of the 07 before ordering a new Mini, but I haven't read one that doesn't think the Mini has lost some of it's personality. The fake hood scoop says it all!

Old 09-26-2006, 11:26 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chopperace
To me it looks like they are (a) trying to increase their profit margin by making more parts inhouse and making the cars easier to assemble. and (b) sell to a different
demographic by making the car easier to drive and cheaper to opperate, the VW Beetle and PT Cruiser crowd. But in the process they will probably loss some of the hardcore Mini enthusiasts. I was waiting for reviews of the 07 before ordering a new Mini, but I haven't read one that doesn't think the Mini has lost some of it's personality. The fake hood scoop says it all!
(a) They are. Shipping Brazilian produced engines overseas was more expencive then anticipated. And the logistics were a bear. It's easier and cheaper to produce a better quality engine in house.

(b) Not every R50 or R53 owner is an enthusiast, either. You have all types buying MINIs. There are many-many cars that were purchased as grocery-getters for people that would never think of joining a MINI owners group or logging on to NAM to see what any of us here think. Many uninitiated have lumped the MINI in with the PT Crusiers and VW Beetles ALREADY. The R56 demographic will remain the same. Some are MINIacs... some are not. Give it time. You'll no doubt see the R56's making their way into the local MINI owner's groups. After 4 or 5 years, I'm sure 2nd gen numbers will overshadow those 1st gen owners.

As far as the articles you've read... I can't speak to what you've specifically seen. I've read some darn good reviews and previews (MC2, Edmunds, MINI2) stating that the new car feels 100% MINI and is "EASIER TO DRIVE FAST" than the previous generation cars due to a boost in torque and better suspention charactoristics. Paul Mullet over at MINI2 has spent some time driving the R56 and has some very (read: very-VERY!) positive things to say about the performance of the new car. Sounds like it goes like stink and handles GREAT! Just as a MINI should. I can't wait to see for myself.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:47 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Do you have a link to Paul's review?

Old 09-27-2006, 08:19 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
^^^^MINI2 MCS test drive. Paul is also taking a list of user questions to the Paris Auto Show.

Quick Reply: R56 Just saw the first brochure for the new Mini...