R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2007 R32 GTI vs. R56 MINI - any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Redvaliant
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the car mags had a 06 JCWS v a GTI and a SI civic comparison. The GTI was a clear winner from the Mini. The R36, as it will be, is in another class to the Mini altogether. AWD for 210hp+ is a must. Front wheel drive cars in the over 200hp range are uniformely mad and torque-steery understeering monsters. There is a Top Gear clip of a 250hp Alfa 147 ( a beautiful, sculptural undrivable beast) that shows what happens when you drop a V6 into a small front drive car

Old 09-25-2006, 07:03 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Redvaliant
One of the car mags had a 06 JCWS v a GTI and a SI civic comparison. The GTI was a clear winner from the Mini. The R36, as it will be, is in another class to the Mini altogether. AWD for 210hp+ is a must. Front wheel drive cars in the over 200hp range are uniformely mad and torque-steery understeering monsters. [Emphasis added.] There is a Top Gear clip of a 250hp Alfa 147 ( a beautiful, sculptural undrivable best) that shows what happens when you drop a V6 into a small front drive car
It depends. If the driveshafts are not equal length, then you will have torque steer with as little as 100 hp. I owned a 1986 VW GTI that had a 1.8 liter engine putting out around 105 hp. Hit the gas in a turn and you had a fight in your hands - literally. Conversely, I also owned a 2000 Volvo C70 HPT (with the 4 speed auto transmission) with 236 hp (chipped to 270) and hit the gas in a turn and no problem at all.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 AM
willymcd
3rd Gear
look at the car and driver review of the A3 3.2. overall it sound like the 2.T is a more pleasant car and better bang for the buck. also considering it is turbo, easily modified! the 2.0t is 500 lbs less then the 3.2.
I recently was in a r32 though and i must say i like it. torquey, fun, fast car, plus has a great exhaust note. i still like my mini, but now i want a throatier exhaust.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:10 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by willymcd
look at the car and driver review of the A3 3.2. overall it sound like the 2.T is a more pleasant car and better bang for the buck. also considering it is turbo, easily modified! the 2.0t is 500 lbs less then the 3.2.
I recently was in a r32 though and i must say i like it. torquey, fun, fast car, plus has a great exhaust note. i still like my mini, but now i want a throatier exhaust.
It is more then just an engine difference though, the 2.0 is front wheel drive and the 3.2 a quattro so it has different characteristics as as well as benefits - modding the front wheel drive car won't get you a four wheel drive so the bang for buck is pretty subjective..

Old 10-04-2006, 01:08 PM
willymcd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
It is more then just an engine difference though, the 2.0 is front wheel drive and the 3.2 a quattro so it has different characteristics as as well as benefits - modding the front wheel drive car won't get you a four wheel drive so the bang for buck is pretty subjective..
i know that it has allwheel drive. but modding a naturally aspirated car is expensive business.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:22 PM
DR61
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for the record, Volvo AWD prior to late 2002 did NOT use the Haldex system. The video you linked shows earlier model Subaru and Volvo (the old Volvo system was a viscous coupling). Also this was NOT a controlled, unbiased test.

In my opinion, the Haldex systems work great for low traction conditions, but are not the best choice for performance on dry pavement.

Dave
MCS 2005, Volvo XC70 2004

Originally Posted by clarkdr81
Having been a Volvo guy for my whole life, I wouldn't necessarily just jump on the Haldex bandwagon. I've never owned an AWD Volvo but from what I've heard, the early versions (ie. late 98-01 or 02) were pretty weak. They have supposedly improved in recent years, but it really depends on which Haldex system is put on the R32 GTI. And to echo what has been said about the weight of the VW. I almost bought a Rabbit before I ultimately decided on my MINI. I thought the 150hp Rabbit would blow the 115hp Cooper out of the water. But the MINI feels just as fast and responsive if not more so than the VW. I don't know if this applies to comparing the GTI and Cooper S, but its just something to think about...

This video is also something to consider. Everyone seems to have different takes on it so take it for what its worth when considering Haldex.

I can't get the link to work but if you want to copy and paste the url:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/06/...vs-subaru-awd/

Old 10-04-2006, 03:24 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DR61
Just for the record, Volvo AWD prior to late 2002 did NOT use the Haldex system. The video you linked shows earlier model Subaru and Volvo (the old Volvo system was a viscous coupling). Also this was NOT a controlled, unbiased test.

In my opinion, the Haldex systems work great for low traction conditions, but are not the best choice for performance on dry pavement. [Emphasis added.]

Dave
MCS 2005, Volvo XC70 2004
How do you get to the conclusion that Haldex AWD is not the best choice for performance on dry pavement? If it is based on the fact that Volvo has chosen to bias the torque transfer to 90-95% to the front, that is only because of Volvo's bias for FWD. Haldex can be tuned to be just the reverse (90-95% rear bias until slippage occurs). The only reason not to get an AWD set-up for dry pavement is due to the additional drivetrain power absorption that occurs from the AWD system. But that issue applies to all AWD systems.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:28 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
i know that it has allwheel drive. but modding a naturally aspirated car is expensive business.
I think your statement could be extended to modding any car can be an expensive business.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:57 AM
willymcd
3rd Gear
yes but my point is, that the 2.0t starts off as a fun car to drive, more fun then the 3.2, but slower, add lsd exhaust intake and a chip you will be way outperforming the 3.2 for the price of the 3.2. but it does depend on if you want allwheel drive, which is a pretty sweet thing. if you want to mod the 3.2 you can only make small gains unless you force some air in there, which is a major undertaking, not to say people won't or don't do it, its just very expensive. basically i think the 2.0 is a better buy even if you have plenty to buy the 3.2. i think it also says something that the S3 uses the 2.0t and not the 3.2 or 3.6.

on to the S3 if they just released the 2.0t with allwheel drive, you could have a S3 performer for a hell of a lot less then a S3.

Originally Posted by caminifan
I think your statement could be extended to modding any car can be an expensive business.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:18 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
yes but my point is, that the 2.0t starts off as a fun car to drive, more fun then the 3.2, but slower, add lsd [Emphasis added.] exhaust intake and a chip you will be way outperforming the 3.2 for the price of the 3.2. but it does depend on if you want allwheel drive, which is a pretty sweet thing. if you want to mod the 3.2 you can only make small gains unless you force some air in there, which is a major undertaking, not to say people won't or don't do it, its just very expensive. basically i think the 2.0 is a better buy even if you have plenty to buy the 3.2. i think it also says something that the S3 uses the 2.0t and not the 3.2 or 3.6.

on to the S3 if they just released the 2.0t with allwheel drive, you could have a S3 performer for a hell of a lot less then a S3.
Where do you get LSD? The GTI does noot have LSD as an option as yet. And I am not aware of LSD (for either the m/t or DSG) being availablle from the aftermarket. An additional consideration if you are going to mod the 2.0T is that the DSG transmission has a torque limit of 258 ft/lbs., so even with the most benign of mods (such as an APR 91 octane ECU upgrade), you are rolling the dice on frying the transmission.

The R32 (or R36) will have all of those issues sorted out from the factory with the additional bonus of AWD. If the AWD F/R bias can be selected by the driver, then you have a superior result to anything that can be done to a 2.0T. And MINI's R56 JCW variant starts to look a bit lacking before its first year of production is over with.