R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Will the MCS overheat? Looks like the BMW 335 engine has issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:26 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Will the MCS overheat? Looks like the BMW 335 engine has issues

So I was reading through the audi board since I still have my S4 (#26 on the waiting list for a new '07 MCS) and was reading about the new bmw 335. Check this post:

http://forums.audiworld.com/lrqc/msgs/84866.phtml

Each and every car overheated and shut down. Hmmmm, how's that? Yup! The oil temperature on every car shot to 300 degrees and the cars shut down. We learned that early on and instructed every driver to watch it closely. Driving amounted to about 5 hot laps, 2 parade laps, and so on. Never saw anything like it yet. Talk about a fatal flaw on these vehicles. Can't wait to see this happen to the general public and see how BMW responds. I guarantee you we were not pushing these so hard that no one will ever experience what we did. In fact, one of the ABCC members took a car home with him and on his ride in to the track, aggressively I might add, overheated it and shut down on him.
I don't know anything about the 335 engine, but does it share the same sort of cooling design of the new mini turbo engine? I think I read the mcs uses an electrically controlled oil pump etc.. will that have an effect?

Just making some discussion. I'm sure the '07 MCS will have some bugs, but BMW is famous for making sure their cars are taken care of. One instance is when I had my old M Coupe with the S54 engine.. they voluntarily extended the warranty to 6yrs/100k miles because there were some early bugs on that engine.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:48 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting that you should mention that.

I spent a day whipping a 330 at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix last summer. One of three provided by BMW. Two of the three began to overheat and went into a "limp home" mode (my description). The car just wouldn't give any power (not like it had been minutes earlier, at least). We'd bring 'em back to the pits and shut them down for a while. They'd cool off after about 20 minutes and be right back to normal.

The 330 is, of course, a different engine than the 335 (no turbo, for one)... but then again, the 335 turbo is a different engine than the new 1.6L turbo MINI, too. Just an interestiong coincidence, I guess.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 PM
schaplin
1st Gear
That really depends on the cooling system which involves radiator size, air flow velocity, water velocity, etc. My experience with stock cars is most don't put enough excess engine cooling capacity for really hard driving. When you get on a track and are going really fast that can cause problem. Having an air flow velocity that is too high can cause cooling problems (even though that sounds backwards). I would worry more about the new MCS overheating in traffic on a hot day than at the track. If you want to race it for extended periods you will probably need to tweak the cooling system.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:01 AM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
I was at VIR recently and a fellow had a new 335. It was overheating, high oil temps, and he wasn't very happy.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:58 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah I only really care if the new MCS does well at an auto-x. Hahha.. but that totally sucks for the new 335.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:34 PM
simpsoap
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
not sure what bmw is doing behind the MINI, but I am certain that they will correct the issues on the 335. The engine is twin-turbo'd and I hear it is quite quick. My wife and I get BMW magazine and they had an article in it last month, it was quite impressive to read. But then again, it wasn't like they were going to dog on their own car. I feel that everytime there is something new, there are going to be issues at first. It will take some time for the quirks to work at. However I think BMW is doing well at knowing that we aren't normal drivers and that we drive the cars hard