R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 CAR Magazine Article on 07 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:09 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been somewhat of a lurker on both NAM and MINI2 for quite a while now and 2006 is the first year I could afford a MINI. I've wanted one since 2002 and have loved the look of the MINI. I've always liked the look of the black honeycomb mesh front grille and that would have been a mod I would have done. I could buy a 2006, but with the new styling and new engine offering better milage and good low end torque, I decided to put my name down for a 2007. So I have to agree with msh441 on the new MINI and it's own enthusiasts,

Old 09-28-2006, 11:36 PM
vm
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jerome81
link to article?
Yes, please. And I'm with all who's going to say the last word unitil the personal drive test.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:09 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jerome81
link to article?
Unfortunately I couldn't find the actual article online. The magazine's website requires you to be a subscriber. However, copies can usually be found at Barnes & Noble or Borders which is how I found the article. So go down to your local bookstore, buy a triple mocha venti latte and enjoy

Old 09-29-2006, 06:27 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
My bad.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:29 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
...and there again, I would disagree. Just look at how many people are turning up on NAM, MINI 2 with <50 posts and are VERY interested in the R56. There are going to be MINI enthusiasts out there for years to come. They're just enthusiastic about a different car. But that's cool.

...at least you didn't lump the new R56 to those plain as vanilla Scion XBs, VW Beatles or Honda Civics.
I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!!:impatient Do I really have to go through this again? See, it isn't that you are disagreeing with what I say, its the fact that you try to contradict and nitpick every single sentence I write. The funny part is that I have not made one assertion or one definite expression of opinion on the R56. I did not say that the R56 would not be as much of an enthusiasts car, again, I said I FEAR that it MAY not be as much of an enthusiasts car. Its not even an opinion, its just a slight personal concern of mine. I'm not saying it won't be an enthusiasts car, but there's no way you can assert that it will be as much of an enthusiasts car as the R53 until it comes out and people actually start driving and buying it. You can have your opinion on the matter and thats fine, but don't jump all over me for just posing a concern. My questions about the R56 arise from reading articles that are written by people that have actually driven the car. All I have done is report what I have read and then wondered out loud how the new model will be received in the MINI community and how it will compare in various ways to the current model. Yes, you are entitled to state your own opinion but seriously, you need to get out of my grill. I have not once trashed on your beloved R56. So please, feel free to pick yet another sentence of mine in this post, take it out of context, contradict it, and praise the R56 to high heaven...come on what's next? Get it all out of your system

Old 09-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
I sure hope you are talking about "new" VW beatles...

Old 09-29-2006, 09:30 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Don't know what you are taking but when expressed concerns are not opinions, maybe you should stop taking them?

Fear not though, I was never going to be an enthusiast about the R53 for many reasons but so far (and I have not driven one yet either) the R56 has captured me.

Originally Posted by clarkdr81
I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!!:impatient Do I really have to go through this again? See, it isn't that you are disagreeing with what I say, its the fact that you try to contradict and nitpick every single sentence I write. The funny part is that I have not made one assertion or one definite expression of opinion on the R56. I did not say that the R56 would not be as much of an enthusiasts car, again, I said I FEAR that it MAY not be as much of an enthusiasts car. Its not even an opinion, its just a slight personal concern of mine. I'm not saying it won't be an enthusiasts car, but there's no way you can assert that it will be as much of an enthusiasts car as the R53 until it comes out and people actually start driving and buying it. You can have your opinion on the matter and thats fine, but don't jump all over me for just posing a concern. My questions about the R56 arise from reading articles that are written by people that have actually driven the car. All I have done is report what I have read and then wondered out loud how the new model will be received in the MINI community and how it will compare in various ways to the current model. Yes, you are entitled to state your own opinion but seriously, you need to get out of my grill. I have not once trashed on your beloved R56. So please, feel free to pick yet another sentence of mine in this post, take it out of context, contradict it, and praise the R56 to high heaven...come on what's next? Get it all out of your system

Old 09-29-2006, 09:31 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by clarkdr81
So please, feel free to pick yet another sentence of mine in this post, take it out of context, contradict it, and praise the R56 to high heaven...come on what's next? Get it all out of your system
Hmmm... well, give me a minute... let's see...

...nope, false alarm, I got nothin'.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:45 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by inomis
Don't know what you are taking but when expressed concerns are not opinions, maybe you should stop taking them?
I guess I'm confused here. How is an expressed concern an opinion? A concern and opinion are two entirely different things IMO and in the opinion of the dictionary.

For the record, I am not an "R56 hater." From all I've seen it looks like a great car, but does that mean I can't have some concerns with it? Sure, you can speculate about how the car will actually be but I want to see it for myself. Once I see and drive it, my concerns will either be put to rest or supported. Only then will I actually form my OPINION of the car.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:14 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Opinion - "A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof."

IMHO, You can only have a "concern" unless you have an opinion. Just stop taking the pills, we can disagree on the dictionary!

Glad you're not a hater, too.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Hyper Skip
2nd Gear
Just read article

Well from what I read, The new R56 is more confortable 8mm more suspension give, designed for run flats, better seats, new engine more refined etc. The R53 rough around edges when it comes to engine. CAR then eludes to the fact the R56 has lost some of the R53 handling. Now the question is how important is that to the average MINI buyer as opposed to a R53 owner enthusiast?

Old 10-03-2006, 10:18 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hyper Skip
Now the question is how important is that to the average MINI buyer as opposed to a R53 owner enthusiast?
...and I would add: "How much of that can be quickley changed in the aftermarket by the new R56 enthusiast?"

Springs and/or shocks, stiffer (anti-)swar bar, strut tower brace... heck, those are common performance upgrades that many-a-R53 owner has done to better the handling of their car. So it will be for it's younger brother.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:21 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
FYI - I was listening to the autoblog podcast and they seemed pretty disappointed by the new MINI, although they were just going on what they've read about it in various publications but they did go to the Paris Auto Show. So take it for what its worth, which is probably not too much, just interesting to get another perspective though.

And remember, DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!

Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 PM
BECOKA
4th Gear
I know some are worried about change in 2007 but it looks like there changes are due mostly to structural safety which is never a bad thing.

I just bought a 2006 model because I am worried with a first generation engine and electronics in 2007 that there will be some issues to deal with. I am also not too keen on the new console although it does allow for more foot space which is a good compromise.

Also can anyone really tell from looking at the car that it is 2 inches longer in the front?