R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 British do their road test

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:52 PM
MattMan
Coordinator :: Minis Under the Arches (Oct 25-28)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
British do their road test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uA7e-sB3EQ

Fifth gear tested this out last week and aired it yesterday. Here ya go, gotta say, I'm a bit anti towards the R56, but this review has sparked my interest. Test Drive anyone??

Old 10-17-2006, 04:01 PM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
That answers the sound question. "Rides better, handles better, built better and more efficient." There was one negative thing about the MINI shape of the HVAC controls.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:10 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Good video, but I'll wait for the JCW.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Confirmed everything I already knew. Unbelievably happy I went with the R53; but they did all the right things to keep the brand alive.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:23 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by clarkdr81
Good video, but I'll wait for the JCW.
I will also, but I dunno if I'll actually get one when I see it though. I'll more than likely get the bodykit, the seats, the brakes and the wheels, but the actual tuning package... i dunno. If it's $6k for something as meager as the current gen hp improvement is I think I'll go aftermarket. They are saying as much as 230hp... but to me, even considering it's twin scroll turboed, it seems a little on the aggressive side for a factory kit. Also since JCW is officially out of business and is run through MINI itself, some of the pedigree/heritage/aura of the "JCW Tuning Kit" has also gone.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:24 PM
mini-number1
2nd Gear
Love the car. Best mini ever

Old 10-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Urban_Assault_JCW
3rd Gear
honestly, if you own a mini you know it loos diffrent and I don't like it. I own a car audio and peformance shop and the new car is a night mare. First the cd/speedo can never be changed your stuck with the minis ok audio system, for a person that loves sound quality it's not for me. As a tuner of imports nissan, honda and now my mini the old engine just has more potential to go fast. Although I agree that the turbo was a great improvement I don't think the new block is up to the challenge. I think it will be easy to just turn up the boost and say get a safe 200-215 hp almnuim blocks require sleaving to make them stronger while the old minis steel block is almost bullet proof. This has been proven by a few people that had there boost spike in the old min to 28psi and it was ok, try that on the new block and you'll be looking for a very hard to find new motor.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:36 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Urban_Assault_JCW
honestly, if you own a mini you know it loos diffrent and I don't like it. I own a car audio and peformance shop and the new car is a night mare. First the cd/speedo can never be changed your stuck with the minis ok audio system, for a person that loves sound quality it's not for me. As a tuner of imports nissan, honda and now my mini the old engine just has more potential to go fast. Although I agree that the turbo was a great improvement I don't think the new block is up to the challenge. I think it will be easy to just turn up the boost and say get a safe 200-215 hp almnuim blocks require sleaving to make them stronger while the old minis steel block is almost bullet proof. This has been proven by a few people that had there boost spike in the old min to 28psi and it was ok, try that on the new block and you'll be looking for a very hard to find new motor.
^ TRUE.

I think this may bring more business to the MINI aftermarket tuning world though, If I were them... but im not so we'll see what happens, a new high performance ported/messed with cylinder head would include iron sleaving, making high HP safer. I think it would be spectacular if that would happen, because with the new tuning scene there are so many more options it seems for turbo cars.

Just my thoughts...

Mikey

Old 10-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Urban_Assault_JCW
3rd Gear
Yes the head design does play a big part in turbo and SC cars. The sleaves however go into the block. We normally have to strip the block down and send it of the have the factory sleaves pressed out and the new sleaves pressed in. However, one of the main company that offer sleaves for honda motors makes what they call a block guard, its a part that slides into the block and suround the factory sleaves and make the much more sturdy. It only cost about $90.00 us and can be put in by just taking of the head of the engine, if some company was to do that it would be a cheep option that would allow the new mini to make power that would take twice as much money as the older one, of course the block guard design would only work it the engine is design is right. Lastly if the new motor turns out to be much better (but I doubt it will) some company should make a kit to fit in into 02-06 mini's. By the way sleaves still allow much more power to be made compared to the block guard.

Last edited by Urban_Assault_JCW; 10-17-2006 at 05:06 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 10-17-2006, 05:12 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Oh no - I love Fifth Gear but why did they have the fat guy do it? He never does the "real" sporty reviews, he seems slated for the more the social commentary and VW Bug cushy car ones.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:34 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice. Sweet. Glad 5G they did the review in my current S's color scheme, so I get to see what my 08 will look like. but reviewers are so weird, one in another review hated the 6 speed, while this guy loves it. Another says its lost the go-kart hadling, this guy says not. So subjective.

I can hardly wait to drive R56--just so I can see for myself what I can do in third gear from 1500 to 5000 rpm w/o getting a ticket.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:43 PM
cartar452
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like mine better

Old 10-17-2006, 11:29 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Thats a fat guy? (looking in mirror ) Time to hit the gym, I guess. They'll probably let Hammond do the JCW once he's healed up and back in the mix.

As far as cylinder sleaves: Per MINI's own (long version) press release... the new cylinders run in cast iron sleaves and are working at 10.5 : 1 compression ratio as stock. I would imagine they are capable beyond that as a MINI exec interviewed (run on a podcast elsewhere) made the suggestion that the new car was over-engineered with the 300HP mark in mind during the re-design. Considering BBR was squeezing 275 HP out of the old mill... I would say the future tuning potential for the R56 looks bright.

As far as hi-fi... yeah, were screwed there. But I'm not buying my car to listen to tunes... and with the sounds coming from that stock pipe (did you hear that thing go by?)... music enough for me!

I believe I'll like mine better, too.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:20 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
Thats a fat guy? (looking in mirror ) Time to hit the gym, I guess. They'll probably let Hammond do the JCW once he's healed up and back in the mix.
Sorry, no offense meant, but compared to Tiff and Vicky he is the fat guy As for Top Gear (where Hammy is from) we'll see who they toss it to - Jeremy Clarkson already reviewed and really liked the current Minis.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:24 AM
heffergm
Neutral
Originally Posted by eVal
Sorry, no offense meant, but compared to Tiff and Vicky he is the fat guy As for Top Gear (where Hammy is from) we'll see who they toss it to - Jeremy Clarkson already reviewed and really liked the current Minis.
Tom is always referred to as the fat guy because back when he first got on the series, he was quite a bit porkier. He's since lost some weight

Old 10-18-2006, 04:36 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Oh, no. None taken. I was just trying to be funny.

Aren't Top Gear and Fifth Gear pretty much the same shows... just reviewing a different "class" of car. I don't exactly mean clas, but I can't think of the right word at this moment... boy it's late... trying to re-adjust to a graveyard shift.... uggghhhh!

Old 10-18-2006, 05:18 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
old engine just has more potential to go fast
Not a problem - not everyone wants (or needs) 300 hp to enjoy a car. I think the new engine is fantastic, the added efficiency was badly needed given where the price of gas was and probably will be again. The current MCS in unmodified form has enough snoot for me and the new one sounds at least as fast. The only thing I don't like is that center stack and huge dinner plate speedo (I have the chrono package on mine).

Old 10-18-2006, 05:50 AM
resmini
6th Gear
As far as hi-fi... yeah, were screwed there. But I'm not buying my car to listen to tunes... and with the sounds coming from that stock pipe (did you hear that thing go by?)... music enough for me!
I believe I'll like mine better, too.
Every sound clip I've heard sounds great...and the same. If MINI is faking the sound as some have flatly stated, they're doing a good job keeping it consistent from reviews all over the world.

I like my 03 MINI, but unless the 07 surprises me in a negative way on a test drive, I'm gonna like it a lot better.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:38 AM
godzilla
3rd Gear
I wonder how much of a change there is in visibility since the glass had to be reduced like that.
I'm also wondering about headroom.
Did he say anything about that?

Old 10-18-2006, 08:25 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd read that since one of the only parts of the car that hasnt changed is the floorpan, and that the seats have all new mounts and adjustments, that headroom has not been affected. The car's shoulder line was raised slightly to blend in better with the taller front end.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:38 AM
MattMan
Coordinator :: Minis Under the Arches (Oct 25-28)
As far as performance goes, we won't really know who's top dog until we see an R56 campaigned for autocross. Turbo lag could be it's weak spot, but hey this could be a much better track car than the R53 though.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:45 AM
eVal
6th Gear
]Aren't Top Gear and Fifth Gear pretty much the same shows... just reviewing a different "class" of car. I don't exactly mean clas, but I can't think of the right word at this moment... boy it's late... trying to re-adjust to a graveyard shift.... uggghhhh!
As far as I've seen they both review the same cars - each show has it's own style and they are competitive. I used to enjoy 5th Gear and Tiff's skilled joyful drives most of all, but I am not so fond of the changes they have made to the show. Top Gear is funnier but I was not always impressed with the reviews, more opinion for the sake of humor vs evaluation. Anyway, I may not agree with them all of the time, but I love both shows and wish they were broadcast unadulterated here :P (I also really mis Auto Motor and Sport, a German based auto show that had the best photography of all and excellent head to head comparos. ).

Sorry 'bout that graveyard shift, best of luck with it.

PS: It is too bad visibility is likely reduced due to the smaller windows - it is a trend I don't like in the industry; it might look good but can really increase the blind spots.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:51 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
If MINI is faking the sound as some have flatly stated, they're doing a good job keeping it consistent from reviews all over the world.
I gotta admit... I was one to cry BS when the sound clip went up on the MINI international site. Hearing a series of drive-bys from outside the car... I'm now one of the converted.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:17 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well after so many glowing reviews that are remarkably similar/consistent, I'm prepared to say that R56 is a winner, and I for one am ready to put the whole question to bed for now. Love the new dash!! Next up....reading up on the Cooper test drives, although I'm already sold.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:43 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Urban_Assault_JCW
they are doing what they can to hang on to us. it's a good commercial. what are they gonna say ?it bites?

Quick Reply: R56 British do their road test