R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Give me reasons why I should buy an R56??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Deutsch
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give me reasons why I should buy an R56??

I'm contemplating between an R56 S, VW GTI, BMW 325i (E90), and an Audi A4. I don't care about image I just love cars w/ German engineering and great handling. Your experiences and input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:15 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
two words

"customer service."

You simply won't get this with a VW/Audi product.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Deutsch
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
"customer service."

You simply won't get this with a VW/Audi product.
That's what I hear.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:20 PM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Each of those is so unique. If you are looking at an A4 with 4wd then just throw out the GTI as too much of a compromise. If the A4 is 2wd then throw it out too since the GTI would out handle it. Throw out the A4 with 4wd because it's so heavy you really need the S4 or RS4. Throw out the BMW because even though you don't care about image, everyone will think you do. That leaves you with the R56 MINI. Congrats.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Deutsch
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by inomis
Each of those is so unique. If you are looking at an A4 with 4wd then just throw out the GTI as too much of a compromise. If the A4 is 2wd then throw it out too since the GTI would out handle it. Throw out the A4 with 4wd because it's so heavy you really need the S4 or RS4. Throw out the BMW because even though you don't care about image, everyone will think you do. That leaves you with the R56 MINI. Congrats.
Well said. I think I'll cross out the VWAG products. However I love the design and functionality of the 3er (space and utlility) not to mention the awesome handling. I couldn't care less if someone thought I was a snob for driving a 3 series. The MIni is a tad on the small side (I'm 6'5"), but I love the design, practicality, and handling. I don't cart people around on the regular, so space for passengers isn't a real concern. One thing I really don't like about the MIni is the dealer mark up, my father puts up w/ that kind of crap everytime he goes to buy a brand new Benz, but he's willing to spend the extra money. I would never do that, even if I was madly in love w/ the car.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:30 PM
rwadsworth
1st Gear
So much here depends on what you want. The two most entertaining cars I’ve ever owned, bar none, are my 1967 1275 Mini Cooper “S” and my current 2005 MCS. In between I’ve owned a slew of BMWs and a first-generation water-cooled Porsche (996)—all splendid beasts in their way, but none more fun than the Minis, either of which would take any of the others in the twisties. The BMWs are terrific, for all the reasons that everyone adduces, but they are worthless (unless with 4WD) if you live where there is any snow at all. (A friend of mine says, with very little exaggeration, that someone clinking ice cubes in a martini two miles away will provoke a skid.) I agree with inomis on the Audis. I had an A-4 Avant (2-litre turbo) that was a lovely car, but a slug. To get entertaining performance, you need the S4. My S4 Avant has a faster time through Road & Track’s 700-ft. slalom than did my Porsche 996, although its weight makes if less easy to toss; and its seamless power makes it feel as effortless as a C6 ‘Vette I drove a few weeks ago. It’s a great road car, a sports wagon perhaps, but hardly a sports car. And a lot of bucks for the bang.
My wife and I live in the country but have many obligations that involve round trips varying from 25 to 100 miles. We rack up a lot of miles. We take the Audi on long road trips, and I use it when I have stuff to haul or have to go a substantial distance on rough roads. My wife puts lots of utilitarian miles on a Subaru Forester. I drive the Mini on my routine rounds and for the sheer joy of the experience. If you want the most fun for your dollar, it’s hard to beat the Mini. But, face it; if you need utility or do lots of long trips, it might not be your best bet for an only car.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Deutsch
3rd Gear
I do a lot of driving. Don't carry much except for when I'm moving or helping a freind move, but then there's always a U-HAUL somewhere. I thought w/ DSC BMW's were fine for driving in the snow??? Audi is a phenominal car, but the reliability is sketch and the Quattro AWD needs routine maitenence to perform at it's best.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deutsch
The MIni is a tad on the small side (I'm 6'5"), but I love the design, practicality, and handling. I don't cart people around on the regular, so space for passengers isn't a real concern.
Being 6'7" and having spent extensive time in both the MC and the 3 Series ... the MINI has more room and feels more comfortable than the 3

Although I am looking at a new 3 myself

Old 11-14-2006, 07:58 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lurch70
Being 6'7" and having spent extensive time in both the MC and the 3 Series ... the MINI has more room and feels more comfortable than the 3
I'm 6'2" and, um, portly.

I drove a 325i as a loaner. I had no shoulder room whatsoever. I felt like I was caged.

-W-

Old 11-14-2006, 08:04 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Gromit801 is 6'7" and 280 and is very comfy with his MINI! And with the MINI, you get a wonderful community of enthusiasts!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 PM
ltz_mtr
2nd Gear
I am 6' 6" and feel more comfy in the MINI than in any other car (I have no sunroof though). I agree, I have had BMWs, Porsches (and loved them), and such, but this car is just fun - can't really explain it, it just is. I even enjoy driving it on long trips. I always look for excuses to drive it. I can't comment on the VW/Audi, other than I was going to buy an allroad but didn't, because the car's handling felt too sloppy for my expectations. Nice car otherwise.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:40 AM
Fullpint
3rd Gear
I'm not going to tell you why you should be an R56, I'm going to tell you why I'm buying a MINI. The reasons I would by an R50/53 still exist in the R56

The MINI is a nimble, small car with performance that far exceeds its package. Nearly all other small cars are simply that - small cars. They are designed to be economical, efficient, and utilitarian and nothing more. While the MINI may somewhat fit those criteria, it is not your usual small car.

The MINI is moldable to what you want. If you want a track car, then get a Cooper S with an LSD. If you want a cruiser, get the panoramic sunroof or convertible, Navigation, and Premium Sound. If you want a gas efficient daily driver, then get a Cooper and spec the interior to make your drive comfortable. It is all about what you want in the car.

The MINI looks different. Its short wheelbase makes it seem like a much smaller car than it is, which draws attention. While its look may be deemed retro by some, I view it more as timeless, and many admire its attractiveness.

The MINI is ageless. There is no demographic to which it can be marketed. MINI owners range from teenagers getting their first car to senior adults and everyone in between. Any gathering of MINI owners will attest to this eclectic group of MINI enthusiasts.

The MINI wins. SCCA results have proven the MINI is superior in its class and is the car to beat. All other car manufacturers are playing catch up to design a car that approaches the MINI, and none have succeeded.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:22 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
This must be the TALL thread. I'm 6'4" and would have been in new a Miata by now if it weren't for the low roof on those. What gets me, specifically my legs, are the enormous center consoles on so many cars. I was very glad to see the R56 actually has narrowed theirs over the current model which already had more room than many cars big or small. Building cars that fit big people is best thing about German engineering reguardless of make.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:42 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Oh and the MINI is the only European car built that made Consumer Reports Most Reliable list for 2007. I know its not the R56 (they looked at 04-06 models), but it was interesting that most VWAG products made the Least Reliable list. and, how MINI has improved over the last 4-5 years in general.

The Customer Service angle is important. BMW is outstanding at this, I've never been treated so well when getting my car serviced, or the buying experience. All you'll get with VWAG is attitude and excuses for how ****-poor their products are. After all, they are the largest automotive company on the planet.

And if you're in LA, you should be able to get a MINI at Long Beach MINI for MSRP, or go north to East Bay MINI in Pleasanton. No markups there, and outstanding customer service. However, if U go with one of these dealers, get your name on the list now, for MSRP dealers tend to have longer waits. My dealer in Denver, which sells at MSRP, already has 84 people on their wait list, and they're not expecting demos until late Feb.

And dont worry about your height, you'll do fine. good luck

Old 11-15-2006, 05:53 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Well I'd go with the Mini, but regarding VW service I must disagree. My previous car was a VW GTI & the dealer was great. Free state inspections every year, prompt service, & never spent a dime with them. So far my experience with the Mini dealer here in Philly has been quite aweful. When I had the car in for it's 30,000 mile service I dropped it off at 8:00am, didn't offer a loaner, and when I came back at 2:00pm via taxi to pick it up they hadn't even touched it yet, it was still parked where I left it. So I waited another three hours in their waiting room.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jahmills
Well I'd go with the Mini, but regarding VW service I must disagree. My previous car was a VW GTI & the dealer was great. Free state inspections every year, prompt service, & never spent a dime with them. So far my experience with the Mini dealer here in Philly has been quite aweful. When I had the car in for it's 30,000 mile service I dropped it off at 8:00am, didn't offer a loaner, and when I came back at 2:00pm via taxi to pick it up they hadn't even touched it yet, it was still parked where I left it. So I waited another three hours in their waiting room.
Exactly. It all depends on the dealership, not the brand. My girlfriend has a GTI and the customer service she receives at Howard Cooper in Ann Arbor has been nothing short of phenomenal! When she was shopping the local dealer, Williams Auto World in Lansing, wouldn't give her the time of day. So Howard Cooper got her business and they treat her like a queen.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:45 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Those are some very different cars on your list. I think you just need to decide what you want the most out of the car you own. If it's between the 3 Series and the Cooper S I don't think you can go wrong with either so it's simply a matter of your driving style and which car does the best job of providing the most enjoyment.

I have found that in addition to being fun the drive, having a really small car has been great! My new motto is, smaller is freer. The small size makes the car easier to park and zip in and out of traffic. Yet because it has a hatchback you can still fit a surprising ammount of stuff (see the "LoveSac in a MINI" thread) with the seats folded down.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Another reason

That when U drive your new MINI off the lot, it won't take an instant 20-40% depreciation hit like the VWAG--or most other mass-produced, highly incentive-burdened--automotive products. All cars are depreciating assets, it just some cars depreciate more slowly than others, and MINI leads the pack for something like 3-4 years now. Get highly desirable options that add to overall resale value like cruise, moonroof, and leather and this will help even more!

I was shocked when my MA said the dealer would give me $22,300 for my 05 S (with premium pak, leather/cloth, and H-K, and only 15K miles in two years) in trade for an 07 if I wished (I'm waiting for an 08-09). My car MSRP'd at $24,500 in 2004; you do the math.

And I think the average customer incentive for a MINI is still like $12--which, again, leads the pack. Only Lexus and Scion come close here...

High demand, low supply, the MINI moniker's historical legacy, and the fact that some dealers still charge markups what nearly 5 years after introduction: it all adds up. Go for it!

Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Deutsch
3rd Gear
I thought SouthBay also sold @ MSRP??? I'll most def. be giong to one of thsoe dealers, don't care about the wait, my current car is solid on reliability (knock on wood) so it's not like it's falling apart or will be anytime soon, or off in the distant future (it's a Volvo).

Old 11-15-2006, 07:11 PM
snapper
3rd Gear
I was shopping in a similar space (R32, 330i, S4) and ultimately went with a MCS... very happy I did. I still have my '01 S4, owned for past 6 yrs... it has been a great car, super reliable and great dealer service. In fact, I've had more problems and dealer issues with the Mini in 6 months, than I have had with the Audi in 6 years.... but I still like the Mini more and will be selling the S4 in the spring. It's simply that much more fun to drive.

I'm a motorcyclist at heart, and the Mini has been as close to thrill of a bike as I have been able to find yet in a car, at least with some practicality in terms of passengers and hauling space. For where I live, the fun roads are slow, tight, twisty and technical (little traffic and no police) where the Mini (and motorcycles) absolutely shines. The faster, open, sweeper roads where an R32, 330i, or S4 might be work better, tend to be traffic and police magnets - so what's the point? Plus those cars feel so insulated and separated from the road/motoring experience (but having said that, I understand the new Mini has moved significantly in that direction also). IMHO, the bottom line is if you really like carving up the twisties, weight is inversely correlated to fun.

Check out this guy out. He has the money, driving/riding skills and covers the same roads as I.... what are his ultimate weapons of choice? Clicky

Old 11-15-2006, 07:11 PM
sequence
6th Gear
I thought SouthBay also sold @ MSRP??? I'll most def. be giong to one of thsoe dealers, don't care about the wait, my current car is solid on reliability (knock on wood) so it's not like it's falling apart or will be anytime soon, or off in the distant future (it's a Volvo).
Yup. Forgot about South Bay MINI. Niello in Sacramento does too but they throw mandatory dealer accessory "paks" and mark up the parts prices 300%. Or U could order one from an eastern or midwestern dealer, get it faster, and motor it home (or have it shipped.) Lots of folks were doing that a few years ago where waits at western MSRP dealerships were approaching 2 years.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:02 AM
carlo@southbaymini
Former Vendor
Mini!

UNIQUE!!! That is your word. You will not see two identical MINIs on the road. GB only builds 36k units for the entire country(USA) 36000 divided into 50 states...And one more thing cost of maintenance is $0 for 3 years or 36000 miles. Yes full maintenance warranty(oil change, brake rotors, pads and all of those good stuff...) is standard on MINI for 3years or 36000 miles whichever comes first and the new car warranty which is 4 years or 50000 miles whichever comes first.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Because they are WAY COOL !!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 02:14 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
I'm contemplating between an R56 S, VW GTI, BMW 325i (E90), and an Audi A4. I don't care about image I just love cars w/ German engineering and great handling. Your experiences and input would be greatly appreciated.
Go DRIVE one...drive each vehicle, and make up your own mind.
You don't buy your new drapes and carpet based on some else's recommendation, do you?
I swear this site is turning into Macy's. You girls...

Old 02-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
Go DRIVE one...drive each vehicle, and make up your own mind.
You don't buy your new drapes and carpet based on some else's recommendation, do you?
I swear this site is turning into Macy's. You girls...
My guess is Deutsch is asking similar questions on forums representing the other cars mentioned as well. To me, his approach is smart. You learn a lot in these forums that you'll never learn by simply driving the car and/or talking to the dealer.

My last two cars were Audi A4s (one a quattro, both were turbos). I loved their handling and spirited engine response. But both of these factors, to me, seem amplified on the MCS nicely beyond what I knew on the Audis.

My license plate reads: BNG4DBK (bang for the buck). I'm always looking for just that. To me, when it comes to character, driving fun, and solid BMW-like feel, The MCS wins by a long shot (and the price isn't too shabby either).

Quick Reply: R56 Give me reasons why I should buy an R56??