R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2007 R56 "more refined"

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:49 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Larry Clemens
You obviously have not read any of my other posts. I've made many comments that are far more "boneheaded."
Funny, Larry!

Old 11-16-2006, 06:51 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You obviously have not read any of my other posts. I've made many comments that are far more "boneheaded."
hey howzaboot some links then Lar? I (and I'm sure others) would like to see how far you've pushed the envelope of boneheadeness, you R53 "elitist." Have U posted on the GP forum? You should, for they're some of the most sensitive and easily pissed off folks on NAM. This could be your legacy, bro!

Old 11-16-2006, 07:57 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fullpint
Honestly, though, if used MINI prices were not as much as new MINI prices, I would probably get a low mileage 2005 or 2006 Cooper S. I just cannot justify paying as much or more for a one or two year old car than a new one off the lot.
From what I've seen the "as much as new" prices are not happening like they used to. People may ask for a high price, but there are tons of Minis on Craigslist Autotrader etc, and people are bargaining. Good deals can be had even on 05s/06s with low miles

Old 11-16-2006, 08:00 PM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
"Holly Crap!" - That's what happens when you leave the Christmas decorations up too long! ..... The 02-06 models won't last forever, so it seems to me that EVERYONE with a serious interest should include the success of the R56 in their little Mini prayers each night, right after you've had your milk and cookies......
Surf, I liked your post and for the most part concur, but I believe a car's duration is what we make of it. I drove a 34 year old BMW 2002 to work all week, and the week before that, I alternated between a 50 year old MGA and a 56 year old Chevy 1/2 ton pickup truck and my commute is 50 minutes in each direction. Cars last forever if you want them to (and you don't total them). I hope to never ever drive a disposable. Life's too short. If it weren't for Henry Fraud, we might never have been conditioned to believe that cars don't last forever.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eVal
I've heard of Holly Hobby, but who is Holly Crap? A JCW fan?
I thought the same thing.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by karlInSanDiego
Cars last forever if you want them to (and you don't total them). I hope to never ever drive a disposable. Life's too short. If it weren't for Henry Fraud, we might never have been conditioned to believe that cars don't last forever.
I agree. They certainly should last longer than most of them do. I think some manufacturers build cars to only last around 75k miles and also a lot of people don't take care of their cars enough to make them last a while. I don't consider a car to be very good if it can't go at least 200k miles. But we now live in a day of "disposable" cars where a lot of people have a desire to get a new car every 2-3 years so in some ways maybe longterm reliability doesn't really matter too much.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:27 AM
DJA
2nd Gear
Refinement can be your friend

Originally Posted by karlInSanDiego
....Cars last forever if you want them to (and you don't total them).
..or live in the salty Northeast

People will always speculate about new cars on forums. It's costs nothing but time. But I don't necessarily equate "more refined" with less fun. It has happened in the past, but we shouldn't assume that more suspension travel and a goal of broader appeal is bad for enthusiasts. Repeat after me.."A fun car doesn't have to hurt."

I am not a current MINI owner, but I like fun cars. I know it is possible to make a fun car that has an excellent driver/owner experience. That is really what we want. Unless you are involved with competitive driving, the "liveability" of the car matters. Maybe I'm the market BMW has in mind.... I prefer a car that is still more capable than I am, but is easier to live with day in and day out. I'll bet most current MINI owners never take advantage of the final 1/10th of capabilty the "less refined" car may allow.

I usually prefer refinement.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:34 AM
aa5ib
1st Gear
R56

My biggest concern with the R56 is that it might have so much BMW Technology that it will be broke all of the time. I had a 2004 X5 and still have a 2005 X3 and both of them repeatedly had various problems that resulted in trips to the dealer to get them fixed. Best example is the X3 sat at the dealer for 10 weeks waiting on a new seat cushion because the airbag sensor that was integrated into it was intermittent. They couldn't take one from another X3 on the lot because each one if uniquely programmed. They were on the verge of giving us a new X3 when the part finally came in. It was just one thing after another on both cars.

Recently my BMWR1200GS (MC) had to go into the dealer to have its computer updated so that it would quit running the battery down if left sitting for a week. The update didn't take so we have to do it again. So now they have the bikes as screwed up with high-tech do-dads as the cars. Just wait until you get a Nav with "I-DRIVE you try and change the radio station". I'm thinking of ordering a MCS convertible so I can get one more with the supercharger.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:17 AM
DJA
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aa5ib
My biggest concern with the R56 is that it might have so much BMW Technology that it will be broke all of the time. I had a 2004 X5 and still have a 2005 X3 and both of them repeatedly had various problems that resulted in trips to the dealer to get them fixed. Best example is the X3 sat at the dealer for 10 weeks waiting on a new seat cushion because the airbag sensor that was integrated into it was intermittent. They couldn't take one from another X3 on the lot because each one if uniquely programmed. They were on the verge of giving us a new X3 when the part finally came in. It was just one thing after another on both cars.

Recently my BMWR1200GS (MC) had to go into the dealer to have its computer updated so that it would quit running the battery down if left sitting for a week. The update didn't take so we have to do it again. So now they have the bikes as screwed up with high-tech do-dads as the cars. Just wait until you get a Nav with "I-DRIVE you try and change the radio station".
Electrical gremlins more than anything have hurt the German manufacturers in the past decade or so. M-B is particularly hard hit and I think their customer sat ratings have gone south primarily because of electrical related problems. Broadly speaking, the Germans are terrific mechanical engineers, but they seem to be overreaching when it comes to electronic advances.

Your fear is not unwarranted.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:34 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Keep It Simple

Order a basic MCS... LSD and nothing more. Avoid the gremlins. My list is hardly longer than that except a stereo upgrade and maybe a suspension upgrade, maybe the aluminum dash option and plain pepper white all over, and the lightest 16" wheels the factory offers. AFTERMARKET POTENTIAL will be high as the first year rolls by. Keep the list short, tack on the goodies as interest/boredom dictates. Like a Mini could be boring compared to what else is out there in that stripped down price range.

Originally Posted by DJA
Electrical gremlins more than anything have hurt the German manufacturers in the past decade or so. M-B is particularly hard hit and I think their customer sat ratings have gone south primarily because of electrical related problems. Broadly speaking, the Germans are terrific mechanical engineers, but they seem to be overreaching when it comes to electronic advances.

Your fear is not unwarranted.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Order a basic MCS... LSD and nothing more. Avoid the gremlins. My list is hardly longer than that except a stereo upgrade and maybe a suspension upgrade, maybe the aluminum dash option and plain pepper white all over, and the lightest 16" wheels the factory offers. AFTERMARKET POTENTIAL will be high as the first year rolls by. Keep the list short, tack on the goodies as interest/boredom dictates. Like a Mini could be boring compared to what else is out there in that stripped down price range.
Let those who have ears listen! Very wise words... and good advice to be heeded!

You're on target surfblue!

Old 11-18-2006, 10:09 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
[I'm told that to be a Mini dealer, a BMW dealer must build a complete separate free standing location, everything of it's own Mini origin.
Hassel MINI in Freeport, NY is in the same building as Hassel Pre-Owned BMW, across the street from Hassel BMW. True, the BMW new car dealership is in a different building, but Hassel MINI is not by itself, either, in a free-standing building. Maybe someone has a clarification on this, if it even matters?

Old 11-18-2006, 02:55 PM
PKAT
2nd Gear
Time for my .01 cent thoughts

The present Cooper is a very nice car that has a broad appeal.

BMW, had to incorporate changes for environmental, safety, and ecomomic reasons. Thus some of the major changes that will be. Then, of course, there is always the subjective changes trying to appeal to the consumer.

Like many ahead of me, I studied all the information that I could dredge up and made my decision. Picked her up this week. We, (the wife & I) preferred the current style, inside and out. We are very happy

Is one better than the other? I s one better looking than the other? Will one hold their value better than the other? ........ and one can go on and on...

You should buy what you can afford, that meets your requirments, and enjoy.

That what we are doing, and I love it!

Old 11-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PKAT

... Is one better than the other? Is one better looking than the other? Will one hold their value better than the other? ........ and one can go on and on...

I've been following this discourse for quite some time. This is a discussion that truly has no end, as the debate will continue ad nauseum!

At times it has been highly spirited with much passion being expressed and at other times it has sunk down to the depths of mediocrity, lacking eloquence and grace !

Now PKAT has very elegantly summed up the whole thing in the proverbial nutshell!

In the end it's not what I think, or your friends, or fellow NAMers... It's what's important to YOU!

And remember dear friends, at the end of the day, if you're happy with your MINI, whatever iteration it may be, then all will be right in your world.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PKAT
The present Cooper is a very nice car that has a broad appeal.

BMW, had to incorporate changes for environmental, safety, and ecomomic reasons. Thus some of the major changes that will be. Then, of course, there is always the subjective changes trying to appeal to the consumer.

Like many ahead of me, I studied all the information that I could dredge up and made my decision. Picked her up this week. We, (the wife & I) preferred the current style, inside and out. We are very happy

Is one better than the other? I s one better looking than the other? Will one hold their value better than the other? ........ and one can go on and on...

1. Is one better looking than the other? Yes - current model w/o question
2. Is one better than the other? - Don't know yet
3. Will one hold their value better than the other - probably current one but don't know yet

Old 11-19-2006, 11:13 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Is one better looking than the other? Yes - current model w/o question
Ah, but see this is not a univerally held opinion...so there is a question I'm afraid, although perhaps not for you, which is fine.

I do think one day all the "do not know yet" answers will have to be replaced with something equally ambiguous like "depends on your perspective." It's just not (on the whole) a black and white thing and I suspect never will be. On a personal level it's a different matter.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
If you can find one person that thinks that the R56 is better looking than the current model I will retract my dogmatic statement.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:48 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I do!!! There are many others, too. Not to worry about a retraction...I like my R50, too, but R56 features a cleaner look up front and in back and the more unified grill is a big improvement. (point of clarification...I am taking about Coopers here!!)

And don't get me started on the interior which is better in many ways. Not bashing R50/53 at all...I just very much like the direction they have gone in R56. Case in point...I prefer the R56 three-tiered dash design over the more bulbous current one. The new one receeds from the cabin space...the old protrudes. The way the bigger speedo is integrated into the dash is suberb!

Old 11-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Bolomitch
2nd Gear
I think the R56 is better looking that than the R50/53. So there are at least two people out there.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
I retract my statement. I also have some land for sale in Alaska. Send me a PM.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:18 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
some land for sale in Alaska.
Alaska??? Definitely "less refined!!!" Not to worry...even though I really like R56 and am totally on-board with it, I still break out in a cold sweat at the prospect of giving up the keys (for most of the time anyway) to my beloved R50 next year.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:08 AM
Fullpint
3rd Gear
I'm not sure if I can count myself as the third who likes the R56 appearance over the R50/R53. I just am unsure if I view either as better looking. There are definitely aspects of the R56 exterior that I like better than the current generation (can I still say that since the R56 is out in the UK??). I do like the new front grill, front and rear fascias, and the sleeker look to the passenger compartment more on the R56. I don't like the larger wheel moldings, the headlights from a front view, or the Cooper S spoiler. I definitely do prefer the R56 interior, though.

I remember when the 350Z first debuted as a concept car. My first thought was, "Good Lord, what is that hideous thing??" As I began to see the car in the sheet metal, it began to grow on me, and now I prefer it to the previous generation 300ZX. I did not have the same reaction of complete and total horror when I first saw a production R56.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:13 AM
sequence
6th Gear
If you can find one person that thinks that the R56 is better looking than the current model I will retract my dogmatic statement.
Larry, you'll have to retract so far you'll be back in the womb in no time! R56 is much better looking, inside und out.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:24 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the R56 interior much better, and, while I'm waiting to see one in person, I think I like the exterior better as well, if nothing more than for the grill and basic wheel choice.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:50 PM
C4
Banned
+1 for the R53, Larry!

Quick Reply: R56 2007 R56 "more refined"