R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Website/Reality Pricing Discrepancies

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:45 PM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Website/Reality Pricing Discrepancies

I just wanted to make 07 buyers aware of a few discrepancies in pricing. Things which have changed over the last few weeks from the website to reality.

1: The Tuscan Gravity Leather seats: The site up until now has said "A classic Tuscan Beige Gravity Leather upholstery that comes with our distinctive creme while color line and Piano Black Dash included." The price is listed as $1500. Well, my dealer and I (poor guy) went round and round about the Piano Black being listed as a$200 extra option on my spec sheet. I insisted the site said all three options were $1500. He insisted I had my facts wrong, despite the source of my facts being the configurator, and an email from Meg Brown of MiniUSA spelling out that all 3 options would be $1500.

Turns out he is right: it is $200 extra for the Piano Black. MiniUSA emailed me again tonight to let me know the price will be $1700 for that setup. "The Tuscan Beige Leather does include the Piano Black dash and the Cream White colorline. Unfortunately, however, the pricing information on our website is wrong and will be updated tonight. The Tuscan Beige Leather does cost $200 more than shown and should be listed with an MSRP of $1700. "-Meg Brown, MiniUSA.

2: The white turn signals are $100. They were listed as no charge up until last week. I am pretty sure it is for the rear lights only, but I have an email in to MiniUSA and the Enquirer. One should have accurate info. :-)

3: The Convenience Package indicates a savings of $200 more than what you actually save, because the $600 cost of Universal Mobile Phone Prep INCLUDES the $200 armrest, which is counted seperately in the package to drive up the ala carte price and make the package seem a better deal.

On a related note of the website vs. reality, and other such things...

I was confused as to why my MA and Motoringfile.com listed the audio package as being delayed, yet the website still insistently says it is available in 3/07. Today I also found out the following from Meg Brown at MiniUSA:

"I do apologize for the confusion with the Audio Package. Unfortunately, we do not yet have an exact confirmation of when this package will be available. At the moment, it is still anticipated for March production; however, this could change. It is best to stay in contact with your Motoring Advisor as any updates we have are communicated to our dealers as soon as they are available.

In regards to the Bluetooth System, unfortunately, we do not yet have a list of compatible phones for this new system. However, once it is available, it will also be posted on our website. "

She also informed me several days prior: "At this point, none of the options that are anticipated for March production have changed. On your order, this includes the automatic transmission, audio package, and navigation. If this does change, the website will be updated to reflect the change and your MINI dealer will be advised. "

Needless to say, I'm kinda stuck. I'd prefer the Sirius as part of the audio package, but I don't feel like waiting indefinitely for it so I'm happy to settle for just the HiFi Stereo. And in all the confusion I'm kinda trying to keep the price from running out of control, and I don't know if I should plan for the extra $900 the audio package would cost or not. Frustrating and confusing.

I am passing this along just to let those who ordered, or who plan to order, to make sure they check the prices carefully and not to be surprised (especially those of you with cars already produced) if the cost in the dealer's computer might be different from what you expected from using the configurator. Clearly this transition to a new model type is causing a few hiccups, and I don't mind saying I'm a bit put off by being nickle-n-dimed upwards as they find their errors. It's frustrating to build a car on a budget and then have the budget blown through no fault of your own.

Anyway, buyer beware. Or just be aware. Motor on.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 PM
R56MCS
Banned
Sounds familiar (Sept 2006) dealers did not seem to know WTF was happening.

Some interesting comaprisons;

1. Bluetooth prep went down like a lead balloon in UK at £770 (approx $1250). After market kits were available within a week for £160 plus fitting (www.newministuff.co.uk - note the R56 dash is complex, not an area for amateurs).
2. UK MCS come with the clear lenses . These are just lenses, clear cost no more that amber for BMW.
3. Watch out for the TLC package, it does not include the same as the R53.
4. Piano black dash cost me £50 extra despite it supposedly being included in the Lounge leather seats cost.
5. Navigation was £1500 (approx $2500-2750 - Nav only) I bought a top of the range Tom-Tom for less than a third of this.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:16 PM
kayaktom
2nd Gear
I, too, noticed the white turn signals went from $0 to $100...I thought I was losing my mind...I'm glad to hear that I'm not....but I'm not so glad to pay $100 for white turn signals.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:38 PM
R56MCS
Banned
Worth it in the longer run. Replacing later will be much more expensive.

e.g. (not available for my build week)

Chrome mirror caps £50 (now will cost £100)

Chrome bonnet scoop £60 (now will cost £170)

I used to work for IBM, often called Income Before Morals, but nothing like this!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 05:40 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I emailed my MA and she said they'd honor the no cost white tail lights. Maybe they would with other options?

Do you know if the color line cost is included with the cloth/leather seats like originally stated?

EDIT: Checked the configurator and it looks like the color line is still included with the seat.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:49 PM
jmelrose
5th Gear
The color line was always included with the seat upgrades. Cloth/leather or leather, you got to pick a color line upgrade.

The Tuscan, I think, was the only one to include a dash option pre-set to it. I dunno... why else would they pre-assign a dash color to it if they weren't meant to go together? The piano black looks darned nice with the Tuscan. Provides some needed contrast.

Anyway, fjork, yes you should get a color line included with any upgrade beyond the standard options.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:12 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the real ordering system had some updates that didn't percolate to the online configurator.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 PM
R56MCS
Banned
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
I emailed my MA and she said they'd honor the no cost white tail lights. Maybe they would with other options?

Do you know if the color line cost is included with the cloth/leather seats like originally stated?

EDIT: Checked the configurator and it looks like the color line is still included with the seat.
Is TLC (servicing) an option in the US?

If so watch this!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 09:20 PM
jmelrose
5th Gear
TLC is not available in the US... which is odd since we Americans sure do like our extended warranties, usually...

Old 01-09-2007, 09:50 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jmelrose
I am passing this along just to let those who ordered, or who plan to order, to make sure they check the prices carefully and not to be surprised (especially those of you with cars already produced) if the cost in the dealer's computer might be different from what you expected from using the configurator. Clearly this transition to a new model type is causing a few hiccups, and I don't mind saying I'm a bit put off by being nickle-n-dimed upwards as they find their errors. It's frustrating to build a car on a budget and then have the budget blown through no fault of your own.

Anyway, buyer beware. Or just be aware. Motor on.
Yeah... I got bumped up a bunch of spots in ordering since I wasn't ordering anything that's delayed. Lucky me!!!

I noticed some changes on the build/order sheet that I signed off on, too. Basically, I noticed the white turn signals and the piano black color line were billed... while the web spokes were not (just as you all have mentioned). Those things basically wash each other out price-wise, so I didn't think much of it. I'm hoping if it comes up some common sence will prevail and they will be willing to go with what's on the spec'd order sheet that I signed off on... OR with what's in the configurator (either one, but not both). One can hope.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:19 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
TLC is not available in the US... which is odd since we Americans sure do like our extended warranties, usually...
MINIs come with full maintenance for 3yrs/36,000 miles. Does TLC offer much more than that?

Old 01-12-2007, 12:01 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Oh, crap. Looks like MINI caught on...

Many of the configurator prices have now changed. The base price of my configured MINI took a $100 jump for white signal lenses... and the accessory driving lanps took a $110 jump! They are now $510!!!

Jeez! I thiugh $400 was outragous for a set of accessory driving lamps (considering you can get a non-MINI branded set for about $200!)... but $510!!! Holy cow!!!:impatient

I might have to be crossing those of the list.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:11 PM
jmelrose
5th Gear
What kind of bulbs are in the Mini Driving lights? Are those also Xenons?

Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
Oh, crap. Looks like MINI caught on...

Many of the configurator prices have now changed. The base price of my configured MINI took a $100 jump for white signal lenses... and the accessory driving lanps took a $110 jump! They are now $510!!!

Jeez! I thiugh $400 was outragous for a set of accessory driving lamps (considering you can get a non-MINI branded set for about $200!)... but $510!!! Holy cow!!!:impatient

I might have to be crossing those of the list.
I think the driving lamps are a dealer install item -- the price on the web site does not include instalation which is extra -- from what I understand. The price I got with install was more like $680.00 -- that was when the "parts" cost was $400.
I would check with your MA on this as mine may be wrong.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:21 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
needless to say.. I ain't gettin em.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 PM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
holy macro, over $500 for driving lamps is insane.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of bulbs are in the Mini Driving lights? Are those also Xenons?
Just plain old halogen. Installation is definitely extra.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:42 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by designerMINI
I think the driving lamps are a dealer install item -- the price on the web site does not include instalation which is extra -- from what I understand. The price I got with install was more like $680.00 -- that was when the "parts" cost was $400.
if total price was $680 that was a deal.. I've been quote $600 for the labor only. over 5 hours install time for running all the wiring.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:12 PM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
My dealer quoted me $460 just for installation.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:32 PM
msh441
6th Gear
My lord!?! The MINI logo on the new larger lens is cool... but not an extra $700+ cool. I think some unmarked PIAA's (or some other quality non-MINI...but $400-500 cheaper) driving light will have to do, instead. Disappointing.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
Is there a disclaimer on the configurator? I don't see how they can "change" prices like that. I know the configurator has not worked properly for mini.ca for me in the past. not being able to save anything...

I paid $500 for my PIAA's, but I got 4 of them... and we installed in 1-2 hrs... not sure about 4 hrs for the wiring?!?!?!?!

Old 01-12-2007, 05:21 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Is the installation timing about MINi having them work with the high beam only and not opperating off a seperate switch?

Old 01-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
Is the installation timing about MINi having them work with the high beam only and not opperating off a seperate switch?
My PIAA had directions for that, wouldn't have taken that long to do it that way, by reading them.. I didn't do it that way though..

J

Old 01-12-2007, 06:39 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
I think it will be my first Mod!

Old 01-12-2007, 06:57 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Xiek
My PIAA had directions for that, wouldn't have taken that long to do it that way, by reading them.. I didn't do it that way though..

J
Yeah, I'm with you! 4-lights, wired how I want for 1/2 the price!?! I want it to be like daytine when I turn 'em on (versus the high beam or driving lights going out). Oh, yeah!