R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To DSC or not - think think think

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:43 AM
psb
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my answers

DSC yes, i think it is a nice feature, would get it again

leather, i chose the english panther ....and again, would do it again.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:38 AM
sixblade
2nd Gear
leather is just about the only thing i didnt get with the car when i ordered it :P. I had leather in my GTI and it really didn't do much for me, my seats in my MR2 are far more comfortable.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:00 PM
07PepperS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MR2 - Love that car - I had 2 1st gen N/A & SC 2nd gen N/A @ Turbo - loved the 2nd gen seats and turbo power

Thanks for all the feedback. I went to the dealer again tonight, but still having a hard time on the color. They had a pepper in the showroom - she was pretty! They still don't have on site for the SSilver. I'm just not sure not seeing it in real life. So I think I will go with my gut and stay with pepper.

So, I guess I can add DSC now, no prem paint to pay for.

hummm

Old 01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I got the DSC and I think it is a nice safety feature and really pays off in the snow (even just getting moving). I turn it off when I do spirited driving and certainly when I am at the track.

Check out some other post of where people felt that the DSC actually reacted in a dangerous way. I've had it happen to me. You go to pull out into traffic (turning), the tires spin and the DSC kicks in way to much and there you sit with no power and cars bearing down on you In that situation, a human would be much better at manipulating the throttle to get going. Even with that, I'm glad I got it.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:58 PM
lava
5th Gear
That sounds more like traction control than DSC. I think they all have traction control. DSC's action is primarily to prevent the car from getting sideways on you - it it detects the car beginning to yaw it applies brakes in the corner that will prevent the spin. Traction control on the other hand will control your acceleration to keep it within the available grip - no tire spinning on acceleration.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:31 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lava, thanks for the correction I forget about ASC (that comes standard on the MCS) and that DSC includes the traction control. I lump everything that DSC does together ... oops.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:18 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
I bought DSC to aid in the resale value of my 2006 S. I keep it turned off 99.9% of the time.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:30 PM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok I'll weigh in

DSC came standard on our 2000 BMW Z3 and it will cut throttle when wheelspin is detected, including when negotiating a curve. When turned off, it will not.

DSC gives the car the ability to reduce throttle and/or apply individual brakes, but to my knowledge ASC+T can only apply brakes to individual drive (or non-drive) wheel to help control wheelspin. So the two appear to try to do the same thing in an opposing way.

The problem is that since OBDII, throttle response on BMW cars is *****, so when the car nannys your throttle when you're entering traffic, it can cause you to become a traffic hazard. Uneven pavement is usually what triggers ours. That and when I forgot to disable it on an autocross run, it ruined my run in the very first turn. Yes, it can cause you to stumble enough that it creates a perceptable stall in your forward motion.

For the record, we've decided against DSC for our Mini, but I imagine we'd consider it more seriously if we had to drive in snow and inclimate weather. Instead we've opted for the more predictable and perhaps more reliable LSD.
Karl (the dinosaur) In San Diego

Old 01-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Not getting DSC...

is like not getting insurance and hoping you save $ over time.... Maybe you will, maybe you don't.

From the highway folks. DSC will be mandated for all cars and light trucks (don't know about real trucks) by 2012. They expect that about 30%+ of roll-over accidents will be avoided with DSC, and over half! for SUVs and higher center of mass vehicles. These projections are based on data mining from recent accident data.

I'm not going to get any friends with this one, but you turn it off on the streets, you are not a smart person. I can see turning it off at a problem place (driveway that always has a puddle or something) but to turn it off on the streets for some "hot" driving in the hills or whatever is just dumb. Sure, many haven't driven with it for most of thier lives, but saying that the past defines the standard for wisdom, technology, or safety equipment is nieve at best. But to drive on public streets without the system if it's on your car is increasing the risk to you, your passengers, and those on the road near you.

If the one thing that bothers you with the DSC/ASC systems is you can't hammer it out of a driveway, either learn to feather the throttel (like any one who has drivin a high HP car has) or spend the money for the ECU tunes that make it less intrusive.

Matt

Old 01-11-2007, 11:16 PM
07PepperS
3rd Gear
OK who knows if the leather/cloth combo comes in black? The Germany version has it, but miniusa only lists red and blue as the cloth and leather combo options. It looks real good on the mello yellow I saw last night.

Thats my last change to call it a day. If its not avail then I'm forced to pay 1500 for the other black leather. I'm already 3k over budget, but keep telling myself its for the long term. And when I got my ridgeline there were a few things, looking back, that I wished I had added to it vs the lot pic!

Interior choices:
Chrome Line Interior Trim
Piano Black Interior Surfaces
Anthracite Interior Headliner
Dark Grey Color Line
And leahter once I figure this out! or worse case Punch Carbon

Prem Pkg
Sport Pkg
Heated Seats
17 Bridge Spoke
White Turn Sig
Rear Fog
Hi-Fi
Black Bonnet Stripes
Pwr fold mirrors
Auto Headlight / Washers
Blk roof and caps

Thanks again!!! OH, I'm staying with pepper - at least now I don't have to change my call sign

A note on not getting cold pkg. If you get the cold package you can't get folding heated mirrors - crazzzy

AND I'm such a rock - my ridgeline has DSC - its standard. I remember it kicking in a few times under a punch and go and it held back a bit. when someone made that comment I clicked in my small mind. duh

Old 01-12-2007, 12:44 AM
R56MCS
Banned
The interior sounds pretty much the same as mine. It looks and feels great.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:18 PM
miniconvert
1st Gear
If snow is the surface, give me lsd + snow tires vs DSC. Tires are one of the most important factors of traction. if you are sideways on ice DSC wont do anything. at that point its momentum, weight, and other objects around you.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 PM
manifest
3rd Gear
DSC will prevent you from going sideways in the first place. At least that's the idea.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
While doing a little "fun" driving on my favorite low-traffic twisty road a couple of days ago, I went into a corner a little hotter than usual- turned out to be a little TOO hot. And on this particular run, for the first time ever, I met a BIG PICKUP TRUCK coming the other way around said corner. I was on the inside. He was on the outside. DSC saved my MINI and his pickup. It kept me in control and in my lane as it slowed me around the corner. This was on dry pavement.

I am a TRUE BELIEVER in DSC. ESPECIALLY in a car like the MCS.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by karlInSanDiego
DSC came standard on our 2000 BMW Z3 and it will cut throttle when wheelspin is detected, including when negotiating a curve. When turned off, it will not.

DSC gives the car the ability to reduce throttle and/or apply individual brakes, but to my knowledge ASC+T can only apply brakes to individual drive (or non-drive) wheel to help control wheelspin. So the two appear to try to do the same thing in an opposing way.

The problem is that since OBDII, throttle response on BMW cars is *****, so when the car nannys your throttle when you're entering traffic, it can cause you to become a traffic hazard. Uneven pavement is usually what triggers ours. That and when I forgot to disable it on an autocross run, it ruined my run in the very first turn. Yes, it can cause you to stumble enough that it creates a perceptable stall in your forward motion.

For the record, we've decided against DSC for our Mini, but I imagine we'd consider it more seriously if we had to drive in snow and inclimate weather. Instead we've opted for the more predictable and perhaps more reliable LSD.
Karl (the dinosaur) In San Diego
Your comments appear to presume that there is no difference between today's DSC and a 7 year old car's DSC. Do you know that to be true?

Old 04-12-2007, 05:19 AM
jbalfour
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by R56MCS
The SS is a champagne colour, I have yet to see a pic that does it justice, it's better in real life, it does, however need the black roof. Lokks real good with red leather too.
Agree about seeing the SS in person. Looks great in the sun. Disagree about the black top. I think it looks wonderful with white roof and stripes.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:34 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken Cooper
Your comments appear to presume that there is no difference between today's DSC and a 7 year old car's DSC. Do you know that to be true?
I hope they are better. My '02 Z3's DSC was soooo sensitive that I could not keep up with other cars on the 270 degree freeway interchange. The car went "jerk-jerk-jerk-jerk-jerk...." all the way around ON DRY PAVEMENT. It sucked. I turned it off every time I approached a high speed turn. I guess I will be ordering the DSC with my r56. 106 days to go.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Evergreen
3rd Gear
Is this really even debatable? Saying you don't like DSC because it interfers with your driving is like my former step father saying he didn't like to wear his seatbelt because it was uncomfortable. Or better yet, saying you hate ABS because it won't let you make that cool screeching noise when you slam on the brakes. DSC should be standard and for those that like to be weekend warrior race car drivers... just turn it off. I'll just be sure not to be driving behind you.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:53 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Evergreen
Is this really even debatable? Saying you don't like DSC because it interfers with your driving is like my former step father saying he didn't like to wear his seatbelt because it was uncomfortable. Or better yet, saying you hate ABS because it won't let you make that cool screeching noise when you slam on the brakes. DSC should be standard and for those that like to be weekend warrior race car drivers... just turn it off. I'll just be sure not to be driving behind you.
Obviously, you never had a car with intrusive DSC. Even when it is not dangerous at all. Even when you are not in any kind of danger at all, the DSC comes on and engages brakes and applies engine braking and make the car jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk all the way around the freeway interchange while all the other cars are going just fine. Wouldn't you complain if your seatbelt locked up every time you braked? No matter how gently you brake? That's what we are talking about when we say BMW DSC is too intrusive.

Last edited by r56mini; 04-13-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:58 PM
mozzarella
Banned
Originally Posted by Evergreen
+1

Old 04-13-2007, 04:37 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by roach
+1
Obviously, you never had a overly sensitive DSC...blah blah blah..
Wouldn't you complain if your smoke detector went off every time you cooked something in the oven???

Old 04-13-2007, 04:45 PM
MINI Jackpot
3rd Gear
Sparkling Silver is a very interesting color that almost changes moods under varying light. Under a gray sky, it almost appears have a light green-gold hue at times. In direct sunlight, champagne most definitely. And looking in the rear view mirror down the sides, I think I am actually seeing silver!

No matter, Sparkling Silver is one beautiful color. I have received TONS of great comments around town about the color so far...& combined w/ black leather seats and piano black/english oak/chrome trim...it's a class act that puts the MINI way over the toy car status! It's downright POSH!

Cheers!

Old 04-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
When I order my R56. May be a year or two, but I will. Two things won't be on my car, leather & DSC. To me the leather is a whole lot of money for what you get. I like to drive my car, so no DSC for me. I do not want the car to drive me. With the money saved on those 2 items one could go to quite a few drivers schools & learn how to drive. Just my 2 cents, do what you feel you need to. No electro nannies for me.

PS: I hope Ian Cull makes a circuit to turn off the traction control. I have one on my R53 & its my favorite mod.

Sparkling sliver looks like a color my Dad would have on his Buick. Too my eye it's not a MINI color. Just my 2 cents again.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:07 PM
mozzarella
Banned
Originally Posted by r56mini
Obviously, you never had a overly sensitive DSC...blah blah blah..
Wouldn't you complain if your smoke detector went off every time you cooked something in the oven???
Maybe if you learned how to be SMOOTH behind the wheel.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:13 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by roach
Maybe if you learned how to be SMOOTH behind the wheel.
Obviously, you never had a car with over-working DSC. ... blah, blah, blah,.... Wouldn't you complain if you had a rain sensing wipers that went on whenever the car in front of you sprayed windshield washer?

Quick Reply: R56 To DSC or not - think think think