R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To sunroof or not to sunroof ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 09:23 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Reelsmith,

By now you can see there's no correct answer to your question. You need to decide for yourself. I like sunroofs. I'm on my second Mini now and neither have had issues with the sunroofs. I've also owned a VW GTI, Honda SI, BMW 328is and an Audi S4 all with sunroofs-- no problems with any of them, either.

If I were buying a Mini as a track toy or or auto cross, I'd buy a stripped version with no options.

In the real world, does the extra 55 or so pounds from a sunroof make any performance difference that you can feel? NO!

Old 01-13-2007, 09:27 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vader
The last thing I need here in TX is an additional access point for the summer sun!
Same here in Sacramento. Oh wait, I *have* one. That's why it stays closed most days in the summer. I've got a Cooper Flags perforated decal on it right now, and it REALLY helps cut the sun glare, but not 100%. The current decal is getting shabby and will come off soon (maybe tomorrow!). I may put a solid white decal on it next.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Fullpint
3rd Gear
The sunroof is one of the must haves for my R56. I plan to have a trackable car with the sport suspension and LSD, but the Panoramic sunroof is the one creature comfort item I really want.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:12 AM
namvet66
4th Gear
We have the sun roof on our 06 Mini S and use it when the weather permits.

I have no reason to be sorry that we ordered our Mini with the sun roof.

I would say in South Louisiana we will not be using it much in the heat of the summer. Other than that we use it.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:29 AM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live within 50 miles of Vader and I love my sunroof. I do have the wind deflector which reduces the buffeting a bunch. I leave for work at 0530 in the morning and use it most mornings when it is above 65. I dont use it in the heat of a Texas summer day. I do use the auto open to open the windows and roof when its been sitting in a hot parking lot. The inside cools quicker with the hot air leaving out the top for a few minutes.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:01 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you all very much for the replies. I appreciate it.

The sunroof stays.

dean.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Electric Shock
6th Gear
Given the small size of the MINI I think the sunroof helps open it up so to speak.

The only downside to me is the shade on the MINI sunroof does not completely block the sun and can be a pain sometimes. Most of the time, I actually like the shade as it is but sometimes with full sun in the right angle, it can be irritating.

I understand with the sunroof in the new MINI the back half vents. That's cool.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:18 AM
UN4G1VN
1st Gear
I just bought my MINI used with the sunroof, It is nice. I think you would like it if you got it.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:33 AM
TerryD
4th Gear
I got an 06 MC August 1st. I ordered it with a sunroof. I use it when the weather allows. It is brighter inside the car and it is better than an open window when driving at highway speed.
If money is an issue, buy the sunroof and skip the arm rest. My first "mod" was to remove the factory armrest. It is always in the way.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:38 AM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, now that folks are throwing around the weight of the sunroof, does anyone have verification of the weight it adds. I was told 200 lbs. on the R50, and others are stating 55 lbs here.

Anyone know the definitive word on the weight gained with a sunroof on R56. We ordered it even when we thought it added 200 lbs.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:42 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
I had an '03 Monte Carlo and bought it without a sunroof because the car I drove with it would not let me sit up straight and I'm not a big guy - 5'10".

When I went shopping for my MINI, I sat in one with a sunroof and definitely knew I wanted it. I had had a '79 Rabbit many years ago with a sunroof, and, if there is enough headroom, it is almost a necessity for me.

One thing that hasn't been pointed out here, maybe because I'm the only one to experience it (wacko that I am), is that there is an annoying thrumming/buffetting when the sunroof in the MINI is slid back/open and the windows are up. Rolling the side windows down equalizes the pressure, I guess, or else, allows noise from the side to diffuse the noise from above. Anyone else experience this?

Old 01-14-2007, 07:43 AM
psb
3rd Gear
i have an 06 mcs and ordered it without a sun roof. No regrets and never miss it. had one in my GTI that on occasion had the drains plug and flood down my door pillers.... it sucked! So no more worries and i used the money for lsd and multi function steering wheel.....

again no regrets, good luck on your choice!

Old 01-14-2007, 07:51 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TerryD
If money is an issue, buy the sunroof and skip the arm rest. My first "mod" was to remove the factory armrest. It is always in the way.
Very interesting. Yes, money is partially the issue. So, while I kept the sunroof I added it ala carte and deleted the premium package. I can live without the multi-function wheel and the auto-AC ...after all, its a tiny car, those ***** aren't that far away! After sitting in the leatherette seats, I've also deleted the leather. In all, this cut the cost of my car by $2K, which was the amount I was shooting for. I've kept the sports package and the LSD ...and I had included the arm rest, which I figured was not a great loss (@ $200) if I didn't care for it. I use the one in my Accord so much it is worn out.

How does the armrest get in your way?

Thanks.

dean.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:11 AM
TerryD
4th Gear
reelsmith
When it is down, it iterferes with my arm when shifting. When it is up, it is in the way for back seat access and passengers. I sometimes have 4 in the car since I would rather drive it with too much weight than use my F150.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:16 AM
TerryD
4th Gear
I would be surprised if it adds 55 lbs. I also doubt the entire roof with the sunroof and widshield weigh 200 lbs

Old 01-14-2007, 08:18 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're mainly planning to autocross, nix the sunroof.

If it's mainly a daily driver, I'd get it. Like the previous posters mentioned, it lets more light in even when it's closed, which makes a big difference (I have the anthracite headliner, and the sunroof allowes a significant amount of light in even when closed). I love opening it up when the weather is good when I'm out and about; given the Mini's size, it's almost like being in a convertable. And it will signicantly help your resale (the premium packages was a definite hit in the previous generation; it'd be harder to sell the car without it), unless you're dead set on selling it to Lava.

With regard to the weight, I know it's substantial enough that a few people who have one that race actually take their sunroof out and replace it with a lightweight insert; there's a thread here somewhere about this.

And as for the armrest, I don't have any issue with it, other than I wish it was a bit more sturdy--but I still love it, and I'd get it again.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Be aware that no MFSW means no cruise control. May not be an issue for you, but it is for some. Besides, MFSW is cool. Auto AC is nice, but if it's not important to you...
For the $200 arm rest (which you can retrofit if needed), you can almost get the MFSW (which you cannot retrofit.)
I use my rear cupholder as my only cupholder, so the armrest would, indeed, get in the way.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:45 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
I got the sport package for the wheels only and just took the other stuff (obviously). I think I would have preferred the standard cloth seats, but the sport seats are okay.

I got the premium package for the sunroof, but I really like the auto-AC/heat system. The cc/multi-function wheel are nice, too. It's much easier to cycle through radio stations from the wheel than hunting for the buttons on the radio itself, espcially when moving.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
My current MINI does not have a sunroof and I don't miss it honestly. Sure it would be nice, but I love taking my MINI around some country roads and having a sunroof can spoil the balance of the car. The extra support and the big glass piece can make the car top heavy.

If I plan on getting an R56 down the road, I will not be getting the sunroof.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:27 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Snaps
but I love taking my MINI around some country roads and having a sunroof can spoil the balance of the car.
You're kidding, right?

Old 01-14-2007, 11:31 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
In answer to a couple of replies...

The car is my daily driver and won't be subject to auto-crossing. Although, I plan on pushing it when I don't think I'm being watched.

As for the MF wheel, I have it in now and almost never use ...I simply forget it is there. So, it won't be missed.

Concerning cruise control, I actually don't like it, it gives me less to do while driving ...I prefer to be more actively involved.

About the arm rest, I think I'll keep it in and remove/sell it if it bugs me. I can't imagine not having one and sure hope it doesn't get in the way of things.

Thanks for all of the insight!

dean.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:41 AM
millerd2
3rd Gear
sunroof or not

reelsmith - We've got a sunroof on our MINI and we love it. We've had them on every car we've owned since 1992. I had a convertible about 20 years ago when I lived in Florida but it leaked during those hard, driving thunderstorms we'd get down there. The sunroof gave us the benefits of open top driving but without the problems of leaks.

Now that we live in northern Virginia we still enjoy the sunroof - granted sometimes the heated seats are turned on but we enjoy the open top nonetheless.

Enjoy your new toy.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:18 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
I purchased a 2001 VW Turbo that was only offered with a sun roof,i still have it and it's never been used.So my Mini was ordered without one because i didn't think I would use it considering my track record with the VW.Q

Old 01-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
I think the sunroof makes the cockpit feel a little more spacious by letting in the little extra light. Unless you're going to auto-x the car, and/or are worried about the extra weight, then don't get it. But over all we like the sunroofs on our MINIs and it's nice to let a little outside air in sometimes without opening the side windows. I think a sunroof also helps out the resale/trade-in value when it somes time to buy another new MINI. Go luck!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:30 AM
dbhouston
4th Gear
I had a Mazda MX-3 with sunroof for years. Loved it in a small car. Gave a sense of space. My wife also had a Honda with moonroof. Great stuff, especially at night for letting in a breeze and looking at the sky. Moved over to a small truck. Really miss the sunroof. Never even questioned getting one on my new MINI. Even if you don't open it, a sunroof really changes the feel of a car. Much more spacious feeling, which, in a MINI might be a good thing.

Quick Reply: R56 To sunroof or not to sunroof ...